[net.kids] Removing crayons on walls

beau@druhi.UUCP (BeauregardDA) (01/20/86)

Well my 2-year old made his first (and hopefully last!) artistic
endeavor on one of my walls.  Since it occurred while he was
playing with 2 other friends (2 & 4), I'll never know who the real
culprit was.  We'll not discuss group synergy issues here!

Any tried/tested ideas for getting it off the wall?  I've looked at
some of the "Hints for Housekeeping" type books but with no success.
I had one suggestion I'll use if I get no better one; varnish over the
crayon and then repaint the wall (varnish prevents the crayon
from bleeding through).  I think a good solution should be posted
to the net, since this experience is likely to be one most of us
hit at least once in our careers as parents.

						Thanks,
						Dave Beauregard
						AT&T-IS druhi!beau

jcp@osiris.UUCP (Jody Patilla) (01/22/86)

> Well my 2-year old made his first (and hopefully last!) artistic
> endeavor on one of my walls.  Since it occurred while he was
> playing with 2 other friends (2 & 4), I'll never know who the real
> culprit was.  We'll not discuss group synergy issues here!
>
> Any tried/tested ideas for getting it off the wall?

Toothpaste and a damp rag.
--
jcpatilla

"If we can send a man to the moon, why can't we send all of them ?"

keithe@tekgvs.UUCP (Keith Ericson) (01/23/86)

A friend of mine discovered that WD-40 takes crayon off wallpaper.
Maybe it will work on your walls, too?

keith

jeanette@randvax.UUCP (Jeanette Haritan) (01/24/86)

In article <634@osiris.UUCP> jcp@osiris.UUCP (Jody Patilla) writes:

>> Well my 2-year old made his first (and hopefully last!) artistic
>> endeavor on one of my walls.  Since it occurred while he was
>> playing with 2 other friends (2 & 4), I'll never know who the real
>> culprit was.  We'll not discuss group synergy issues here!
>>
>> Any tried/tested ideas for getting it off the wall?
>
>Toothpaste and a damp rag.
>--
>jcpatilla

Any particular brand, i.e., will *blue* AIM (or any of the new *blue*
winterfresh types) leave a stain, as opposed to the standard *white*?

Please respond...as our 2 1/2 year old has also recently redecorated
our walls!  Thanks...jeannette

rdm2@nvuxr.UUCP (R McBurnett) (01/28/86)

In article <634@osiris.UUCP> jcp@osiris.UUCP (Jody Patilla) writes:
> Any tried/tested ideas for getting it off the wall?

The propellent in WD-40 is a solvent for crayon wax as well. Just spray
the wall (crayoned object) with WD-40 and wipe it up.. The oil leaves an
oily spot that comes clean with soap & water or 409 or fantastic...

WD-40 works wonders.  We had an entire wall covered with crayon and it
*ALL* came out!!

Roe D McBurnett,  Bell Comunications Research	  |these are my own
201 758 2333		ihnp4!packard!nvuxr!rdm2  |rantings not Bellcore's