[net.kids] Nocturnal Baby

cushner@ttidcb.UUCP (Jeffrey Cushner) (01/24/86)

Well, group; it didn't take any time at all for a problem to spring up
in our 2 week old that we really didn't have any trouble in our first
one.

This kid likes to sleep all day (and wake up for two hours or so at night).

We've done all we can to remedy the situation normally.  Such as:

 Keeping interaction during waking at night to a minimum
      No talking
      Just feed, change, back to sleep

 Dark room

During the day, even if she's sleeping, the normal day sounds prevail,
with light from the windows.

Also when we wake her up to feed (every 3 hours) or so, we try to
stimulate her by patting her feet, or applying a cool washcloth to some
body parts.

But after all of this, she insists of just zzzzing it during the day
and waking up bright eyed at night and fussing just enough to keep
my wife up ( and me too mosttimes).

With doing the exact same motions to our son when he was that age, he
was sleeping through the night at 2 months from then on.

Does anyone have any suggestions that we haven't thought of?

PS.  We have a swing and that works to put her to sleep more at night
but I can't figure out how to wake her up during the day.

			Thanks in advance for any help,

			 Jeff Cushner @
			 Citicorp-TTI
			 Santa Monica CA 90405
			 (213) 450-9111 x2273

	      {randvax,trwrb,vortex,philabs}!ttidca!ttidcb!cushner

    ** The above comments do not necessarily reflect the opinions of   **
    ** Citicorp-TTI and if the corporation wants them to, they'll have **
    ** to pay through the nose for the rights!                         **

mark@umcp-cs.UUCP (Mark Weiser) (01/27/86)

In article <650@ttidcb.UUCP> cushner@ttidcb.UUCP writes:
>Well, group; it didn't take any time at all for a problem to spring up
>in our 2 week old that we really didn't have any trouble in our first
>one.
>
>This kid likes to sleep all day (and wake up for two hours or so at night).

Seems like two weeks is a little early for concern.  Call back after a year.
-mark
--
Spoken: Mark Weiser 	ARPA:	mark@maryland	Phone: +1-301-454-7817
CSNet:	mark@umcp-cs 	UUCP:	{seismo,allegra}!umcp-cs!mark

peggy@ism70.UUCP (01/28/86)

Someone recently posted a recommendation for a book about baby sleep patterns.
I wrote it down but now I can't find it.  Anyone remember the title and/or
author?

pats@bnrmtv.UUCP (Pat Shriver) (01/31/86)

> Someone recently posted a recommendation for a book about baby sleep patterns.
> I wrote it down but now I can't find it.  Anyone remember the title and/or
> author?

I did the posting and gladly pass the information on again...

Title: "Solve Your Child's Sleep Problem"
Author: Dr. Farrar (I think, definately begins with an "F" though)

A good book to understand sleep patterns and problems (from
"not sleeping through the night" to true sleep disorders).
It's written in a style easy to read and understand. Most
of all, the methods discussed WORKED (for me).

Pat Shriver
{hplabs,csi,amdahl,3com}!bnrmtv!pats
BNR, Inc
Mountain View, Ca