[net.kids] teenagers

bosworth@uwmacc.UUCP (kris bosworth) (01/26/86)

As a parent of teens, I am wondering if anyone else is as confused
about parenting as I am.  If there is any interest in sharing concerns
about living with teenagers, please express your interest soon.

                           Sincerely,

                           Kris

lmf@drutx.UUCP (FullerL) (01/28/86)

I'd be very interested in discussing parenting teenagers. I did that for
the past about 10 months and am now a consulting parent to the same
teenager. I'm also very interested in discussing step parenting issues
with anyone who is interested.
			Lori Fuller  ihnp4!drutx!lmf

marks@yogi.DEC (01/30/86)

>As a parent of teens, I am wondering if anyone else is as confused
>about parenting as I am.  If there is any interest in sharing concerns
>about living with teenagers, please express your interest soon.

Dear Kris,

Not only do I have two teenage kids of my own (a girl 13 and a boy
16), but I also have the dubious distinction of having 4 teenage
stepchildren (3 of whom are live-in, ages 17, 15, and 14).

I have always marveled at parents of infants and young children who
think their kids are THE most difficult.  They seem to think time will
cure their woes.  Actually, I have always thought the old saw, "Little
kids have little problems and big kids have big problems" was quite
true.

I'd love to share thoughts, support, coping mechanisms, philosophies,
and lifesaving techniques (for the parents) with folks who have
teenage children.  (I would be particularly interested in hearing from
people who have dealt with teenage stepchildren -- sometimes I get to
thinking maybe I'm the one who's not human, at least they seem to
think so -- particularly female teenage stepchildren.)

Sometimes I think this is God's revenge against us for what we did to
our parents when we were adolescents!

Good luck, and let's hear from the contingent of parents of older
kids.

Rickey Marks

slb@drutx.UUCP (Sue Brezden) (01/30/86)

>If there is any interest in sharing concerns
>about living with teenagers, please express your interest soon.
>                           Kris

Sure, I'm interested in talking about teens.  I have one 18, who has
become reasonably human again, and another 12, who is probably ready
to make the plunge to unbearable for the next few years.  (Although
she will probably be easier than her sister, since she is a more
lovable person, and our lives are more stable now.)

Personally, I think babies are neat, toddlers are fun if you keep them
in hand, preteens are nice people to be with.  Then you have to just
close your eyes and try to keep them from driving you crazy until they
get over it.   You folks with problems with babies and toddlers (won't
eat, kind of diapers, won't sleep) don't know how easy you have it.

If anybody has any advice on getting through this kid's teen years in
better mental shape than I was with the the last one's, I'd love to
hear about it.
--

                                     Sue Brezden
                                     ihnp4!drutx!slb

      To search for perfection is all very well,
      But to look for heaven is to live here in hell.
                                       --Sting

slb@drutx.UUCP (Sue Brezden) (02/01/86)

>Sometimes I think this is God's revenge against us for what we did to
>our parents when we were adolescents!
>    Rickey Marks

And another way to look at it is that it is nature's way of being sure
that we will be willing and able to part with them (i.e. kick them out
of the nest) when they are grown.  It becomes something you look forward
to, rather than something you regret.  (Insert semi :-) here)

--

whitehur@tymix.UUCP (Pamela K. Whitehurst) (02/01/86)

In article <420@drutx.UUCP> slb@drutx.UUCP (Sue Brezden) writes:
>If anybody has any advice on getting through this kid's teen years in
>better mental shape than I was with the the last one's, I'd love to
>hear about it.

How did you get through the last one? What worked? What didn't work?

My daughter is almost 14. She has alomst no assertiveness. I don't
worry about her rebelling, I worry about her not standing up for herself.
I am trying to find a balance between: holding her responsible for her
actions, and not being so afraid of the results that she will not try
anything. Sometimes I think she looses out on too much by being a 'good
kid'.

| General Disclaimer: The above opinions are my own and |
|             do not necessarily reflect the opinions   |
|             of McDonnell Douglas Corporation.         |

          PKW
hplabs!oliveb!tymix!whitehur

suze@terak.UUCP (Suzanne Barnett) (02/04/86)

> My daughter is almost 14. She has alomst no assertiveness. I don't
> worry about her rebelling, I worry about her not standing up for herself.
> I am trying to find a balance between: holding her responsible for her
> actions, and not being so afraid of the results that she will not try
> anything. Sometimes I think she looses out on too much by being a 'good
> kid'.
>
>           PKW
> hplabs!oliveb!tymix!whitehur

Remember, responsibility shouldn't come all at once, but be
learned and earned. You don't mention it, but be sure to keep
the converstion going. Tell her about your day and ask about
hers; not in an interrogating manner, but in an "I'm
interested" manner. Listen to what she says. If something
happened that she disliked or didn't agree with, ask her what
she thinks should have been done, or could still be done about
it. You might show your confidence in her by asking her
opinion when You have some problem that needs solving.
Whenever some controversial news item occurs, ask her opinion,
discuss it, and then discuss the other side's opinion,
regardless of whether you both agree or not. When you advise
her, be sure it's advice that she can accept or not, make it
clear to her that the decision is hers, as are the
consequences. It's sometimes good to give several options of
advice, along with the possible and likely consequence of each
choice. This doesn't mean you can't sometimes dictate a course
of action to her, but don't disguise that as advice. Be sure
she knows when she makes the decision and when you do.

I was a "good kid" and VERY shy and unassertive until I was in
college. Yes, looking back I think I missed a lot, sort of
like I slept through my teen years. Of course I didn't and
have many good memories, but I also remember my fears of
other people. I'm still somewhat shy around a group of people
I don't know, or don't know well. What made me turn assertive
in college? A large part had to do with getting involved with
a croup of people and being put in a position of leadership.
(Which passed from one person to another on a frequent basis,
so everyone went through it.) It also had to do with growing
up, maturing and facing responsibility.

My 14 year old step daughter is the antithesis of this. She
is very self assured. However, I've noticed over the past year
that she has become less self assured among her peers. (No
change around family, very close friends or adults.) A
frequent phrase we hear is "how embarrassing!"; she feels that
any one she is with reflects on her, particularly family. Our
reaction, as long as she isn't hurting anyone else's feelings,
is to smile and say to ourselves, this is a phase, she'll grow
out of it. In some cases we continue to encourage her to try
something we think she might enjoy or be good at that she
doesn't wish to try because it isn't something Everyone does.
Enlisting peer presure for this can help; such as inviting her
friends to accompany us, particularly when we think they would
enjoy it and thus influence Kristen's enjoyment.
--
Suzanne Barnett-Scott
uucp:	 ...{decvax,ihnp4,noao,savax,seismo}!terak!suze

doug@terak.UUCP (Doug Pardee) (02/04/86)

> My daughter is almost 14. She has alomst no assertiveness. I don't
> worry about her rebelling, I worry about her not standing up for herself.
> I am trying to find a balance between: holding her responsible for her
> actions, and not being so afraid of the results that she will not try
> anything. Sometimes I think she looses out on too much by being a 'good
> kid'.

In my teens, I was an unassertive 'good kid'.  This was due not to a
"lack of assertiveness", but rather to a high level of intellectual
maturity through which I could see that a 17-year-old does *not*
really know it all.  I was almost fanatical about "getting my facts
straight" before I spoke or acted.

No one needed to worry about whether I would accept responsibility,
either.  I knew full well what I could accept and what I couldn't.
Not that I didn't get into trouble from time to time -- but I never
got into any I couldn't get out of.  Although I came close once.
I seem to recall a Sheriff's Deputy pointing his gun in my direction.
Being a 'good kid' doesn't necessarily mean being good all of the
time :-)  [P.S. no arrest, no ticket, my folks never found out.]

By the way, I tend to think that there's only so much that a person
can learn in X years of childhood.  In my case, my intellectual
maturity came at a heavy cost in emotional immaturity.  But I was
able to cover up by always remaining unemotional.  Grown-ups sure
think it's great for a teenager to never get upset or lose his cool!
--
Doug Pardee -- CalComp -- {hardy,savax,seismo,decvax,ihnp4}!terak!doug

cascella@ittvax.ATC.ITT.UUCP (Advanced Technology Group - UNIX Support) (02/05/86)

>If there is any interest in sharing concerns about living with
>teenagers, please express your interest soon.
>
>	Sincerely,
>	Kris

I have 3 teenagers.  A son 17 and two daughters 16 & 14 who are all from my
previous marriage. I also have a 6 year old daughter with my second husband.
I'd be happy to exchange experiences/ideas/concerns/joys/heartaches with
others.
	Suzanne Cascella
	decvax!ittatc!ittvax!cascella
--