[net.kids] Small Children and Nightmares

tif@gamma.UUCP (Barbara Charles) (01/28/86)

I'm interested to know if any parents out there have small children you have
nightmares and are afraid to go to sleep at night.  I have a 5 year old who
all of a sudden is afraid to go to sleep.  Every night for about 2 weeks she
has been coming to get into bed with us.  I'm all for the family bed and have
no objections for the most part but I am concerned about her being too
frightened to go to sleep even when she is very tired.

I've tried giving her extra attention thinking that she is feeling insecure,
she is not allowed to watch any scary on TV (although some cartoons can be
frightening), she has a nightlight in her room, plus the added light from the
kitchen that she insist be on throughout the night, and she sleeps in the
same room with my 3 year old son, so she is not alone.

I've searched my mind for answers to what the problem could be and come up
with nothing.  So I'm at a stalmate now and need some suggestions.
Is there anyone out there who has gone through this?  Is there anything else
I can do to make her feel secure.  Is this a passing phase that all children go
through.  Thanks in advance for your help.

            Barbara Charles

mark@umcp-cs.UUCP (Mark Weiser) (01/30/86)

In article <765@gamma.UUCP> tif@gamma.UUCP writes:
>I'm interested to know if any parents out there have small children you have
>nightmares and are afraid to go to sleep at night.  I have a 5 year old who
>all of a sudden is afraid to go to sleep.  Every night for about 2 weeks she
>has been coming to get into bed with us.  I'm all for the family bed ...

Both of our children went through this around age 4 or 5.  The oldest,
now 8, was over it by 6 or so.  The youngest, now 4.5, is having it
only mildly (so far).  With ours both the symptom was manifested by
lots of talking about how "I can sleep with my eyes open, Daddy.  I don't
have to shut my eyes, do I?".  (funny that they both expressed it this way...
something to do with our bedtime ritual I'm sure...)  We too permit NO
scary TV, including scary cartoons (no he-man or superheros, but
even Donald Duck can be violent), but the world is in fact a violent place
(if only via stamping ants) and so perhaps they pick it up by that age no
matter what.

My experience is that there are occasional intense days of fear, lasting
a week or two, in which going to sleep needs to be extended with lots
of back rubbing (our patent sleeping potion) and reassurance.  In between
there are longer periods of frequent sleeping nightmares (crying out in sleep)
which if I wake up for I go in and again sit with the child (without waking
them), stroke their hair, rub their back, etc.  This seems to have an instant
calming effect.  Sometimes, and sometimes frequently, I don't wake up
but find a child (only the youngest these days) in our bed in the morning.
This is ok, and I'm guessing it will all pass like it did for the oldest.

Best of luck.
-mark

(I frequently (several times a month, usually several days in a
row) had very scary nightmares that would wake me in a cold sweat
and then keep me from sleeping from age 6 (perhaps I can't remember
them earlier) until age 22 or so.  Now 34, I have not had a relapse
for many years.   They had repeating themes (which I can still see vividly in
my mind), and what seems to have gotten rid if them for me is some peer
counseling (also over a period of years)on those themes (and others).)
(Don't ask.)
--
Spoken: Mark Weiser 	ARPA:	mark@maryland	Phone: +1-301-454-7817
CSNet:	mark@umcp-cs 	UUCP:	{seismo,allegra}!umcp-cs!mark

dave@cylixd.UUCP (Dave Kirby) (01/30/86)

In article <765@gamma.UUCP> tif@gamma.UUCP (Barbara Charles) writes:
>I'm interested to know if any parents out there have small children who
>have nightmares and are afraid to go to sleep at night.

I have no kids, but I used to be a kid that had the same problem. Turned
out it was usually caused by some very simple thing: my room was too
cold, or an unfamiliar noise would startle me just enough to make a
dream turn sour, but not actually wake me.

It seems that most of my nightmares have been the result of my brain's
attempts to wake me from a dream I was having, in order to alert me to
something wrong. As an adult to-day, I still have nightmares if I get
too cold at night. Usually the dream starts out fairly innocent, and
then all of a sudden it has a twisted nightmarish ending. I remember one
dream in particular: My brother and I struck oil in our bedroom, and
were laughing with glee over the potential riches. Suddenly, the oil
well exploded, and we were gushed upward, and turned into grotesque
skeletons, still laughing with glee, but with an eeiry echo to our
voices, as if they came from the grave. This twisted nightmare happened
on the first night in a long time that I slept with my fan on. The cold
breeze and the unfamiliar sound of the fan caused my dream to turn very
quickly into a nightmare.

All this tale-spinning may or may not help, but you might check the
next time your child has a nightmare to see if there was some external
thing wrong that the brain was trying to warn about. Perhaps it was
nothing more than a need to go to the potty. Perhaps there is some
unusual noise that takes place near your child's bedroom during the
night. It may not be anything like this, but it is something to check.

Dave Kirby    ( ...!ihnp4!akgub!cylixd!dave)

leo@cca.UUCP (Louise Osterman) (01/30/86)

> I'm interested to know if any parents out there have small children you have
> nightmares and are afraid to go to sleep at night.  I have a 5 year old who
> all of a sudden is afraid to go to sleep.  Every night for about 2 weeks she
> has been coming to get into bed with us.  I'm all for the family bed and have
> no objections for the most part but I am concerned about her being too
> frightened to go to sleep even when she is very tired.
>
> I've tried giving her extra attention thinking that she is feeling insecure,
> she is not allowed to watch any scary on TV (although some cartoons can be
> frightening), she has a nightlight in her room, plus the added light from the
> kitchen that she insist be on throughout the night, and she sleeps in the
> same room with my 3 year old son, so she is not alone.
>
> I've searched my mind for answers to what the problem could be and come up
> with nothing.  So I'm at a stalmate now and need some suggestions.
> Is there anyone out there who has gone through this?  Is there anything else
> I can do to make her feel secure.  Is this a passing phase that all children go
> through.  Thanks in advance for your help.
>
>             Barbara Charles

Have you ASKED your 5-year old what is bothering her?  As I recall growing up,
this was about the age when one of my friends started telling me stories
about bogeymen and snakes under the bed.  It was real scary and I was afraid
of the dark for longer than I will publicly admit to.

Good luck with finding the reason!

Louise E. Osterman
Computer Corporation of America

swb@batcomputer.TN.CORNELL.EDU (Scott Brim) (01/30/86)

In article <765@gamma.UUCP> tif@gamma.UUCP (Barbara Charles) writes:
>I'm interested to know if any parents out there have small children you have
>nightmares and are afraid to go to sleep at night. .......
>............... I am concerned about her being too
>frightened to go to sleep even when she is very tired.

My eldest (now ten) had this problem until about age 5.  My 6 year old
boy still frequently feels scared when going to sleep.  I have no evidence at
all except our intuitive feeling about our kids' well-being, but we are
not concerned at all.  I believe that being scared at night actually has
something to do with mental growth -- I'm not going to be able to
put this into words completely, but something along the lines of: as
your mental (and spiritual if you like) faculties develop, your
awareness of the world, of yourself, of your own increasing depth, and
of your relationships grows.  This is completely new and uncertain
territory.  Children don't know what's happening as their selves fill
out; they seek for causes outside of themselves.  The world appears
strange because they are perceiving it with a new self.  There, I knew
I wouldn't do the idea justice.  Sounds too much like a Rajneeshi
advertisement.  Anyway, in practical terms, as a way of perceiving a
child's uncertainties it works just fine.

What we actually do:  On nights when our son appears particularly
uncentered we avoid any scary stories.  (We don't have a TV).  We give
him a full half-hour of bedtime wind-down, and as a last resort we
sing.  The singing is quite integrating for him.  Works quite well as
long as the parent is truly involved.
--
Scott Brim				swb@devvax.tn.cornell.edu
Cornell University Theory Center	{decvax,ihnp4,cmcl2,vax135}!cornell!swb

steve@loral.UUCP (Stephen Newbegin) (01/31/86)

In article <765@gamma.UUCP> tif@gamma.UUCP (Barbara Charles) writes:
>I'm interested to know if any parents out there have small children you have
>nightmares and are afraid to go to sleep at night.  I have a 5 year old who
>all of a sudden is afraid to go to sleep.  Every night for about 2 weeks she
>has been coming to get into bed with us.
>Is there anyone out there who has gone through this?  Is there anything else
>I can do to make her feel secure.  Is this a passing phase that all children go
>through.  Thanks in advance for your help.
>
>            Barbara Charles

     Before I had children of my own I would observe among friends children
this same fearful stage beginning around 5 years old. I had theories that
this was somehow attributed to the fear created when I child goes to school.
It would then be reflected in the dream and sleep life. But now I have my own
kids and I am going through this now with my 5 year old son. My son is home
schooled and so has no outside fears or traumas. Formally he was fearless,
independent, and could be alone for hours like presently his two year old
sister, but now he has to have someone around(adult preferred) and will not
go to sleep without one of his parents to sleep with. If one doesn't make
too big a deal it appears all my friends kids had their fears fade away
at 7 and 8 years. Now I have done a little thought as to why children go
thru this fearful stage. Piaget theory has them going thru a very major
change of consciousness at this time. Their perception of reality is
changing(try reading some child developement stuff by Piaget). Ideas,
thoughts, fears take on very real dimensions to the child. Not that they
are not real, but they are physical and concrete to the child. Just like
primitive people do strange rituals to ward off evil spirits, I have
created our own family night time rituals. Only when mom has sung "Sleep
my child" and dad has pronounced a unique prayer will he go to sleep in
an instant. Of course dad is in bed with him and departs after he zaps
out, but if he awakes he is welcomed back in bed with his parents. If
I child senses evil I respect it because it is very real to him and have
taught him how to avoid these forces within his mind by teaching him to
be very aware of something real to him physically like his hand and the
thoughts go away. I hope some of this has been of help because I am still
exploring all this, but believe me its not a permanent thing. Keep giving
them all your understanding, patience and love.

-------------------------------
	     Steve Newbegin   Loral Instrumentation   San Diego

    sdcc6 ---\     gould9 --\
    ihnp4 ---->-->!sdcc3 ---->--->!loral!steve  (uucp)
    sdcrdcf -/     sdcsvax -/

     At my farm I care not whether your a Communist Swine, a
Facist Pig, or a Middle-of-the-Road Hog; your arguments must
carry their own weight on my scales.

tif@gamma.UUCP (Barbara Charles) (01/31/86)

> Have you ASKED your 5 year old what is bothering her?

Of course.  Usually she doesn't remember what she has been dreaming about -
all she knows is she had a bad dream.  Sometimes I get "a monster" answer
but there has never been anything definate.  If she gave me a definate
answer (like dogs, fire, cars, trees or whatever), the situation could
be handled by discussion.

                Barbara Charles
		Bell Communications Research

suze@terak.UUCP (Suzanne Barnett) (01/31/86)

> I'm interested to know if any parents out there have small children you have
> nightmares and are afraid to go to sleep at night.  I have a 5 year old who
> all of a sudden is afraid to go to sleep.  Every night for about 2 weeks she
> Is there anyone out there who has gone through this?  Is there anything else
> I can do to make her feel secure.  Is this a passing phase that all children go
> through.  Thanks in advance for your help.
>
>             Barbara Charles

Last summer my 5 and 6 year old stepkids went through a
similar experience, though I don't believe it was quite as bad
as you describe. After a lot of comforting and questioning, I
finally found out that the little boy next door had been
telling them a scary story. (I found it scary, and I'm an
adult!) Anyway, after Danny told them the story, John dreamed
about it, apparently woke Annie up (either on purpose for
comfort and company, or accidentally) and told her his dream.
After that they BOTH had some variety of the dream for a
couple of weeks.

I think their talking it out with us "adults" helped their
fear, plus our reassurances that it wasn't real, but yes the
ideas were scary. The problem went away after a few weeks.

Try talking to your child. It may take several tries. Get her
to tell you what is scaring her. Treat it as a real fear, not
imaginary.

Diet (especially evening foods) may be causing indigestion
that is causing bad dreams. Something that is going on during
the day may be causing them. If you can't find a reason, check
with your pediatrician. S/he has probably dealt with similar
problems and may have some suggestions. Consider that the
child may have been abused in some way. Children often feel
guilt over such, and that could cause nightmares.
--
Suzanne Barnett-Scott
uucp:	 ...{decvax,ihnp4,noao,savax,seismo}!terak!suze

tif@gamma.UUCP (Barbara Charles) (02/05/86)

Just got some other suggestions on "Small Children and Nightmares."  It appears
from the messages I'm getting - its a common occurrence at ages 4,5,6.  That
somehow disheartens me because that means my 3 year old is about due.
Oh well, no one said it would be easy.  I have posted some of the responses
so that others having these problems can be helped too.  If you response didn't
get posted, please understand I am a new user and still learning how to use
this thing.  I appreciate ALL the help I received.  Thanks again!!

	Barbara Charles
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 86 12:21:27 PST
From: gamma!bellcore!decvax!decwrl!pyramid!hplabs!amdahl!bnrmtv!pats (Pat Shriver)
To: hplabs!pesnta!pyramid!decwrl!decvax!bellcore!petrus!sabre!zeta!epsilon!gamma!tif
Subject: Re: Small Children and Nightmares

Try the book "Solving Your Child's Sleep Problems" by Dr. Fumar
(I think that is the author, I know it begins with an "F")
It helped me to get my baby sleeping through the night
in a relatively painless manner (no crying for 2 hours until
she fell asleep). He also goes into sleep disorders and nightmares.
The first couple of chapters are background on sleep, then you
can go onto the chapters that most apply to your child.
It is a great book that finally had some answers about sleep
that no one else(family, friends, and the doctor) could answer.

Pat Shriver
BNR, Inc
Mountain View, California

<standard disclaimer...>

From: mark@umcp-cs.UUCP (Mark Weiser)
Newsgroups: net.kids
Date: Thu, 30-Jan-86 02:17:51 EST

Date: Mon, 3 Feb 86 09:08:59 pst
From: gamma!bellcore!decvax!decwrl!glacier!oliveb!tymix!adams (Christina E. Adams)
To: oliveb!glacier!decwrl!decvax!bellcore!petrus!sabre!zeta!epsilon!gamma!tif
Newsgroups: net.kids

Ah monsters!  My specialty!  When my daughter Jennifer was just a little
guy she had monsters in her room that would come out when the lights were
out.  I decided that telling her that they didn't exist wasnot going
to work, they are real to her.  So, I went over to the cabinet under the
sink and I pulled out a spray can of LYSOL.  I said "Jennifer do you
know what this is?" she said "No."  I then proceeded to tell her that
it was a can of 'monster repellent'.  If you spray places that monsters
usually hang out, they stay away cause they don't like the smell.

This works fine if they cannot read or aren't familiar with lysol.  You
need to do something just as off the wall (and as real) as imaginary
monsters.  If she can read...
A couple of years ago I saw a can of spray at the local toys are us.
It was labeled simply 'Monster Repellent'.  I could have been a millionare...
(At least a hundredaire!).  Anyway if you get into a ritual of spraying
around her bed at night to "keep the  monsters away from her dreams"
and then again if she has the dream again, it just might be enough
to change the pattern.

Of course, this won't work if she's *really* upset about something else
and the dreams are a symptom.  I suspect this isn't always the case.

GOOD LUCK!

                      -Christie Adams
		      {...sun!ios ...hplabs|fortune!oliveb}!tymix!adams

Date: Mon, 3 Feb 86 15:29:52 mst
From: gamma!bellcore!seismo!hao!cisden!john (John Woolley)
To: bellcore!petrus!sabre!zeta!epsilon!gamma!tif
Newsgroups: net.kids

When I was about 4, I was waking up frequently with nightmares of animals trying
to bite me.  My dad helped me plant a garden of imaginary asparagus right next
to the bed, with instructions to feed the asparagus to any hungry dream animals
that came along.  He reasoned that the imaginary animals ought to like the
imaginary asparagus just fine, and wouldn't bother me after that.  It worked.
I have no idea if the same approach would work for anyone else, but I never had
animal-nightmares again.
--
				Peace and Good!,
				      Fr. John Woolley

From epsilon!zeta!sabre!petrus!bellcore!decvax!ittatc!dcdwest!sdcsvax!sdcc3!sdcc6!loral!steve Sun Feb  6 01:28:16 206
From: steve@loral.UUCP (Stephen Newbegin)
Newsgroups: net.kids
Date: Thu, 30-Jan-86 16:31:33 EST

In article <765@gamma.UUCP> tif@gamma.UUCP (Barbara Charles) writes:
>I'm interested to know if any parents out there have small children you have
>nightmares and are afraid to go to sleep at night.  I have a 5 year old who
>all of a sudden is afraid to go to sleep.  Every night for about 2 weeks she
>has been coming to get into bed with us.
>Is there anyone out there who has gone through this?  Is there anything else
>I can do to make her feel secure.  Is this a passing phase that all children go
>through.  Thanks in advance for your help.
>
>            Barbara Charles

     Before I had children of my own I would observe among friends children
this same fearful stage beginning around 5 years old. I had theories that
this was somehow attributed to the fear created when I child goes to school.
It would then be reflected in the dream and sleep life. But now I have my own
kids and I am going through this now with my 5 year old son. My son is home
schooled and so has no outside fears or traumas. Formally he was fearless,
independent, and could be alone for hours like presently his two year old
sister, but now he has to have someone around(adult preferred) and will not
go to sleep without one of his parents to sleep with. If one doesn't make
too big a deal it appears all my friends kids had their fears fade away
at 7 and 8 years. Now I have done a little thought as to why children go
thru this fearful stage. Piaget theory has them going thru a very major
change of consciousness at this time. Their perception of reality is
changing(try reading some child developement stuff by Piaget). Ideas,
thoughts, fears take on very real dimensions to the child. Not that they
are not real, but they are physical and concrete to the child. Just like
primitive people do strange rituals to ward off evil spirits, I have
created our own family night time rituals. Only when mom has sung "Sleep
my child" and dad has pronounced a unique prayer will he go to sleep in
an instant. Of course dad is in bed with him and departs after he zaps
out, but if he awakes he is welcomed back in bed with his parents. If
I child senses evil I respect it because it is very real to him and have
taught him how to avoid these forces within his mind by teaching him to
be very aware of something real to him physically like his hand and the
thoughts go away. I hope some of this has been of help because I am still
exploring all this, but believe me its not a permanent thing. Keep giving
them all your understanding, patience and love.

-------------------------------
	     Steve Newbegin   Loral Instrumentation   San Diego

    sdcc6 ---\     gould9 --\
    ihnp4 ---->-->!sdcc3 ---->--->!loral!steve  (uucp)
    sdcrdcf -/     sdcsvax -/

     At my farm I care not whether your a Communist Swine, a
Facist Pig, or a Middle-of-the-Road Hog; your arguments must
carry their own weight on my scales.

tif@gamma.UUCP (Barbara Charles) (02/11/86)

I recently posted an article asking suggestions on what to do with my daughter
and nightmares/bad dreams.  I got alot of good suggestions and posted them
for others.  I just wanted to let everyone know that "Nightmare Spray" has
worked for us.  I think it is an excellent idea.  I used a simple can of
Lysol and sprayed all around the room to keep bad dreams away.  My daughter
was content with that and slept all night long. We had to use this method
twice since I first posted to the net.  Thanks to the two people who suggested
it!

Wouldn't it be nice to have all our problems and bad dreams "sprayed" away
as easily.  The world would be a nicer place to live.  Good Luck to others.

 	Barbara Charles
	Bell Communications Research
	gamma!tif

leo@cca.UUCP (Louise Osterman) (02/20/86)

> I recently posted an article asking suggestions on what to do with my daughter
> and nightmares/bad dreams.  I got alot of good suggestions and posted them
> for others.  I just wanted to let everyone know that "Nightmare Spray" has
> worked for us.  I think it is an excellent idea.  I used a simple can of
> Lysol and sprayed all around the room to keep bad dreams away.  My daughter
> was content with that and slept all night long. We had to use this method
> twice since I first posted to the net.  Thanks to the two people who suggested
> it!
>
> Wouldn't it be nice to have all our problems and bad dreams "sprayed" away
> as easily.  The world would be a nicer place to live.  Good Luck to others.
>
>  	Barbara Charles
> 	Bell Communications Research
> 	gamma!tif

My daughter recently started telling me there were monsters in her room.  Sooo,
remembering the Lysol spray treatment and not wanting to have that mist
floating in her room while she was sleeping, I came up with our own "monster
vaporizer."  What do we do?  Welllll, we snap our fingers three times and
say "fooey, fooey, fooey."  It zaps them every time!  (And "fooey" is one of
my daughter's favorite words, too!)

Louise E. Osterman
Computer Corporation of America

I disclaim nothing.  It's all mine.