[net.kids] bottles

kp@hlwpc.UUCP (K Pearson) (01/17/86)

(You can send mail to me,
but keep in mind that I am posting this for a friend)

child off the bottle, I say leave him or her alone
and the child will eventually give it up with some gentle
encouragement. I have a two-and-a-half year old boy
who I tried to force off his bottle when he was 18 months old.

  My husband and I were very firm about his not having it
anymore. He had no problem drinking from a cup or a straw,
bebut he just wanted the comfort of his bottle.  He would
request it over and over again, andwe would tell him that he
was too big, or that he did not need one. We tried
giving him a bottle (sans nipple) with a straw in it.
Finally, last month, we let him have it back. What we
discovered was, that for him, the bottle was a comfort
object. He does not have a "cuddly" like most children--a
blanket or a stuffed animal--his bottle is his cuddly.
In the last month since he has had his bottle back, he has
become less obsessive about it, and I believe he will give
it up voluntarily before too long.  He only takes it to bed
with him and is not interested in it during the day.

  I know all the arguments against giving a child a bottle
in bed, but I think I would rather have a well-adjusted
boy with a few cavities than a whining, insecure pre-schooler.

			   Marianne Carlton
			   AT&T-BL

avolio@decuac.UUCP (Frederick M. Avolio) (01/20/86)

We didn;t have the problem as both of our kids nursed and rearely used
a bottle.  (Our first wouldn't even take one!  Talk about your lousy
nights for me when my wife went out...)

A friend made a big deal over his daughter's 2nd birthday and explained to
her -- days before -- that when she turned 2, all the bottles had to go in
a bag and sent back to grandma's. (Well, whatever works.) They acted like
it was a fact of life and she bought it.
--
Fred @ DEC Ultrix Applications Center    {decvax,seismo,cbosgd}!decuac!avolio

gottlieb@cmcl2.UUCP (Allan Gottlieb) (01/20/86)

I agree that drinking milk or juice from a bottle is bad for a child's
teeth, especially the important bottle just before going to bed.  What
was successful for us was to have David only drink (plain) water from
the bottle.  Soon this was reduced to 1-2 oz at bed, 2-4 oz. during
long car trips, and occasionally when specially requested (usually
when frustrated).  It worked for us.

--
Allan Gottlieb
GOTTLIEB@NYU

cushner@ttidcb.UUCP (Jeffrey Cushner) (01/20/86)

In article <654@hlwpc.UUCP> kp@hlwpc.UUCP (K Pearson) writes:
>child off the bottle, I say leave him or her alone
>and the child will eventually give it up with some gentle
>encouragement. I have a two-and-a-half year old boy
>who I tried to force off his bottle when he was 18 months old.
>
>In the last month since he has had his bottle back, he has
>become less obsessive about it, and I believe he will give
>it up voluntarily before too long.  He only takes it to bed
>with him and is not interested in it during the day.
>
>  I know all the arguments against giving a child a bottle
>in bed, but I think I would rather have a well-adjusted
>boy with a few cavities than a whining, insecure pre-schooler.
>
>			   Marianne Carlton
>			   AT&T-BL

If all you should be worried about are a few cavities, then I'd say
fine, do it; I mean what are a few cavities?

BUT, that is not the case!

What happens when all your son's baby teeth turn BLACK and are then all
pulled and replaced by silver temporary teeth and your son is called
JAWS in school.  This happened to both my neice and nephew, since my
Sister-in-law gave them their bottle at night filled with milk or fruit
juice.  This was infant nursing syndrome at its worst and you are just
asking for it with your son.   If you MUST give him a bottle at night,
make sure it is filled with WATER only!

BTW, having seen was INS will do, we never gave our son a bottle in bed,
therefore he never had any problem with it.  At sixteen months old now,
he has his bottle during the day, but also drinks from a cup (no lid)
and straws.

			 Jeff Cushner @
			 Citicorp-TTI
			 Santa Monica CA 90405
			 (213) 450-9111 x2273

	      {randvax,trwrb,vortex,philabs}!ttidca!ttidcb!cushner

    ** The above comments do not necessarily reflect the opinions of   **
    ** Citicorp-TTI and if the corporation wants them to, they'll have **
    ** to pay through the nose for the rights!                         **

charliem@athena.UUCP (Charlie Mills) (01/22/86)

In article <629@ttidcb.UUCP> cushner@ttidcb.UUCP (Jeffrey Cushner) writes:
>What happens when all your son's baby teeth turn BLACK and are then all
>pulled and replaced by silver temporary teeth and your son is called
>JAWS in school.  This happened to both my neice and nephew, since my
>Sister-in-law gave them their bottle at night filled with milk or fruit
>juice.  This was infant nursing syndrome at its worst and you are just
>asking for it with your son.   If you MUST give him a bottle at night,
>make sure it is filled with WATER only!

Oh, come on!!  There must have been other contributing factors.  My
older daughter had a bottle of milk every time she went to bed at night
or for a nap until she was four and half.  She had and still has no
problems with her teeth.  I know plenty of children who nursed
themselves to sleep every night until age four or so with no tooth
problems.

"Infant nursing syndrome"?  Is that as bad as adult eating syndrome? :-)

Care for your children in a way that feels right and natural to you and
don't listen very hard to all the fantastic theories.

	-- Charlie Mills
..{ucbvax,decvax,uw-beaver,hplabs,ihnp4,allegra}!tektronix!athena!charliem

jcp@osiris.UUCP (Jody Patilla) (01/26/86)

> In article <629@ttidcb.UUCP> cushner@ttidcb.UUCP (Jeffrey Cushner) writes:
> >.  This was infant nursing syndrome at its worst and you are just
> >asking for it with your son.   If you MUST give him a bottle at night,
> >make sure it is filled with WATER only!
>
> Oh, come on!!  There must have been other contributing factors.  My
> older daughter had a bottle of milk every time she went to bed at night
> or for a nap until she was four and half.  She had and still has no
> problems with her teeth.  I know plenty of children who nursed
> themselves to sleep every night until age four or so with no tooth
> problems.
>
> Care for your children in a way that feels right and natural to you and
> don't listen very hard to all the fantastic theories.

	Just this week, the Washington Post, in an article on dental care
for children, warned parents expressly about the dangers of sleeping with
a bottle (of milk or juice) and even showed pictures of small children with
apallingly rotted teeth. The problem is quite real, not a fantastic theory
at all. Apparently you and your daughter were just lucky.

--
jcpatilla

California is paid a diplomatic visit by giant Betelgeusian reptiles
that want our women but can't find any so scientists invent a
weapon that fails so they kill us.

bobn@bmcg.UUCP (Bob Nebert) (01/30/86)

> > In article <629@ttidcb.UUCP> cushner@ttidcb.UUCP (Jeffrey Cushner) writes:
> > >.  This was infant nursing syndrome at its worst and you are just
> > >asking for it with your son.   If you MUST give him a bottle at night,
> > >make sure it is filled with WATER only!
> >
> > Oh, come on!!  There must have been other contributing factors.  My
> > older daughter had a bottle of milk every time she went to bed at night
> > or for a nap until she was four and half.  She had and still has no
> >
> > Care for your children in a way that feels right and natural to you and
> > don't listen very hard to all the fantastic theories.
>
> 	Just this week, the Washington Post, in an article on dental care
> for children, warned parents expressly about the dangers of sleeping with
> a bottle (of milk or juice) and even showed pictures of small children with
> apallingly rotted teeth.

My 3 year old son just got back from a trip to the dentist. His two front
teeth have decay spots where the teeth meet. It has gone past the enamil(sp)
and almost into the roots where it can travel up and effect the permanent
teeth. The dentist (who I trust, and why not?) said it was directly related
to a bottle.

My 5 year old daughter had a spot on one of her front teeth but thank God
it never grew and in fact is getting palier.

The baby, 11 months, goes off the bottle and onto sipper cups NOW.

You people can say or debate this issue all you want but I would rather
be safe than sorry.

sdcsvax!bmcg!bobn......................................Bob Nebert

stu16@whuxl.UUCP (SMITH) (02/05/86)

> My 3 year old son just got back from a trip to the dentist. His two front
> teeth have decay spots where the teeth meet. It has gone past the enamil(sp)
> and almost into the roots where it can travel up and effect the permanent
                      ^^^^^
> teeth. The dentist (who I trust, and why not?) said it was directly related
> to a bottle.

      Baby teeth DO NOT have roots. Check it out with a
pediodontist. Did you ever REALLY look at a baby tooth that
has fallen out?
--
whuxl!stu16

essachs@ihuxl.UUCP (Ed Sachs) (02/06/86)

>       Baby teeth DO NOT have roots. Check it out with a
> pediodontist. Did you ever REALLY look at a baby tooth that
> has fallen out?

Baby teeth DO indeed have roots.  The roots disappear (are absorbed
somehow by the body) in order to loosen them when they are ready to
fall out.  When I was about 10, I had to have a baby tooth extracted
as it was badly decayed and not worth doing a root canal (it would
have come out by itself in a year or so).  The tooth did have roots,
but they were already beginning to erode in preparation for its
loosening.
--
				Ed Sachs
				AT&T Bell Laboratories

bobn@bmcg.UUCP (Bob Nebert) (02/08/86)

> > My 3 year old son just got back from a trip to the dentist. His two front
> > teeth have decay spots where the teeth meet. It has gone past the enamil(sp)
> > and almost into the roots where it can travel up and effect the permanent
>                       ^^^^^
> > teeth. The dentist (who I trust, and why not?) said it was directly related
> > to a bottle.
>

>       Baby teeth DO NOT have roots. Check it out with a
> pediodontist. Did you ever REALLY look at a baby tooth that
> has fallen out?
> --
> whuxl!stu16

Sorry. I have never studied a baby's tooth and didn't know if they had
roots or not. I was using the term "roots" as a directive (direction upward
through the items that keep the tooth in place and not let them roam in
the mouth), and not a biological term. Of course they can't have roots or
how else can the secondary teeth attach to the jaw bone ( assuming kids
have jawbones |->). But the important part is the decay anyway.

sdcsvax!bmcg!bobn

stu16@whuxl.UUCP (SMITH) (02/10/86)

> >       Baby teeth DO NOT have roots. Check it out with a
> > pediodontist. Did you ever REALLY look at a baby tooth that
> > has fallen out?
>
> Baby teeth DO indeed have roots.  The roots disappear (are absorbed
> somehow by the body) in order to loosen them when they are ready to
> fall out.  When I was about 10, I had to have a baby tooth extracted
> as it was badly decayed and not worth doing a root canal (it would
> have come out by itself in a year or so).  The tooth did have roots,
> but they were already beginning to erode in preparation for its
> loosening.
> --
> 				Ed Sachs
> 				AT&T Bell Laboratories
> 				Naperville, IL
> 				ihnp4!ihuxl!essachs

     Baby teeth at the age of ten? Hard to believe. Most
baby teeth fall out by the age of six, when "six-year
molars" come in. By age twelve, wisdom teeth start erupting.
(Although some people never get permenent teeth, and others
get a third set. Genetics, I guess).
                                     kam
--
whuxl!stu16

flowers@ucla-cs.UUCP (02/11/86)

>       Baby teeth DO NOT have roots. Check it out with a
> pediodontist. Did you ever REALLY look at a baby tooth that
> has fallen out?

I always thought that the roots were dissolved so that they would fall out.
The ones I "helped" come out always had more at the base than the ones
I left alone.

I had to have a "baby" tooth removed before it was ready, for orthodontic
reasons.  It was a molar (two teeth behind the eye tooth on the bottom),
whose bottom forked into two halves.  The tooth was in there so strongly
that the dentist could not pull it out.  So with a drill he divided it in
two halves (as though it was two teeth),
to pull out each half separately.  When pulling out one of the halves,
it was embedded so strongly that the bottom broke off.  After pulling
out the other half they they returned to the first half and picked out
the bottom piece by piece.  What should have been a simple pull extraction
ended up taking an hour of hard work (no fun on my end of things).

Whatever that stuff at the bottom of the tooth was that kept it in my
jaw, it was darned effective.  I always thought it was a root.

barbara@hoqax.UUCP (GAECHTER) (02/11/86)

>      Baby teeth at the age of ten? Hard to believe. Most
> baby teeth fall out by the age of six, when "six-year
> molars" come in. By age twelve, wisdom teeth start erupting.
> (Although some people never get permenent teeth, and others
> get a third set. Genetics, I guess).
>                                      kam
> --
> whuxl!stu16

From experience, baby teeth do not necessarily all fall out at the age of six!!!
(My FIRST tooth was lost at age six, I had to have the last FOUR pulled at age
twelve, before getting braces.  Wisdom teeth only started erupting around
age 22).  I agree that it probably has alot to do with genetics.  My entire
family (M&D and four children) had "late" teeth.

--
Barbara Gaechter
HO 2K-531				(201) 949-0746

stu16@whuxl.UUCP (Pippin) (02/12/86)

> >       Baby teeth DO NOT have roots. Check it out with a
> > pediodontist. Did you ever REALLY look at a baby tooth that
> > has fallen out?
>
> I always thought that the roots were dissolved so that they would fall out.
> The ones I "helped" come out always had more at the base than the ones
> I left alone.
>
> I had to have a "baby" tooth removed before it was ready, for orthodontic
> reasons.  It was a molar (two teeth behind the eye tooth on the bottom),
> whose bottom forked into two halves.  The tooth was in there so strongly
> that the dentist could not pull it out.  So with a drill he divided it in
> two halves (as though it was two teeth),
> to pull out each half separately.  When pulling out one of the halves,
> it was embedded so strongly that the bottom broke off.  After pulling
> out the other half they they returned to the first half and picked out
> the bottom piece by piece.  What should have been a simple pull extraction
> ended up taking an hour of hard work (no fun on my end of things).
>
> Whatever that stuff at the bottom of the tooth was that kept it in my
> jaw, it was darned effective.  I always thought it was a root.

   Those "claws" holding the tooth to the jaw are NOT roots.
Roots are the pulpy things coming out from the center of the
tooth. Ever hear of root canal? Where do you think the root
canal is located?
--
                      Pippin Stuart
                      whuxl!stu16

essachs@ihuxl.UUCP (Ed Sachs) (02/12/86)

>      Baby teeth at the age of ten? Hard to believe. Most
> baby teeth fall out by the age of six, when "six-year
> molars" come in. By age twelve, wisdom teeth start erupting.
> (Although some people never get permenent teeth, and others
> get a third set. Genetics, I guess).
>                                      kam
> --
> whuxl!stu16

Baby teeth START to be shed around age six.  The last ones often
don't get replaced until age 12 or so.  (The Tooth Fairy is still paying
off my 10 year old.)
--
				Ed Sachs
				AT&T Bell Laboratories

suze@terak.UUCP (Suzanne Barnett) (02/21/86)

>      Baby teeth at the age of ten? Hard to believe. Most
> baby teeth fall out by the age of six, when "six-year
> molars" come in. By age twelve, wisdom teeth start erupting.
> (Although some people never get permenent teeth, and others
> get a third set. Genetics, I guess).
>                                      kam
> --
> whuxl!stu16

Yes indeed, baby teeth at the age of 10! Last summer my 10
year old (now 11) step daughter lost one of her baby teeth.
I distinctly remember baby teeth coming out at a similar age.
Baby teeth BEGIN being replaced by about the age of 6; this
continues through about the age of 11 or 12.

Yes, I've heard of wisdom teeth coming in as young as 12, but
that is RARE. They usually come in sometime between ages 14 to
early 20s. However, wisdom teeth don't replace baby teeth,
they are an addition to the tooth set, as are several other
teeth (such as, I think, some molars).
--
Suzanne Barnett-Scott
uucp:	 ...{decvax,ihnp4,noao,savax,seismo}!terak!suze

CalComp/Sanders Display Products Division
14151 N 76th Street, Scottsdale, AZ 85260
(602) 998-4800