[net.kids] Serious question

tif@gamma.UUCP (Barbara Charles) (03/05/86)

> The woman asked a serious question.
> No need for sarcasm.

I wholeheartledly agree.  No need for sarcasm.  If everyone is put down
when they ask a serious question to the net - it cuts down on the amount
of communication - people don't won't to post anymore.

My grandmother always said and I'm sure everyone has heard it:

"If you don't have anything nice to say - DON'T SAY ANYTHING AT ALL"

	Barbara Charles

mc68020@gilbbs.UUCP (Tom Keller) (03/08/86)

In article <791@gamma.UUCP>, tif@gamma.UUCP (Barbara Charles) writes:
> My grandmother always said and I'm sure everyone has heard it:
>
> "If you don't have anything nice to say - DON'T SAY ANYTHING AT ALL"

   I have always felt that this cute little phrase was intended to stifle any
form of criticism.  In particular, criticism of adults or adult behaviour
by children.  I object.

   While I confess that it can be very difficult to accept (believe me, I
*KNOW*), it is often the case the children have legitimate criticisms to make.
Stifling them harms them in at least two ways:

1)  it frusrates them unnecessarily, forcing them to internalize both their
    frustration *AND* their reaction to it

2)  It teaches children that criticism is a nasty, bad thing, to be avoided.
    This results in adults who have some pretty bizarre attitudes about
    criticism and self-expression.

--

Disclaimer:  I hereby disclaim any and all responsibility for disclaimers.

tom keller
{ihnp4, dual}!ptsfa!gilbbs!mc68020

(* we may not be big, but we're small! *)