[net.kids] The words to a children's song

agm@mtgzz.UUCP (a.g.moore) (02/27/86)

I am interested in the words to a song that my brothers and sisters
sang as children.  I thought my son would like it too.  The
only part I can remember though, goes

"Swim", says the mama fishie,
"Swim, if you can",
And they swam, and they swam
right over the dam.

Thank you so much.  It has my driving me and my sister nuts not being
able to remember.

mc68020@gilbbs.UUCP (Tom Keller) (03/01/86)

In article <1695@mtgzz.UUCP>, agm@mtgzz.UUCP (a.g.moore) writes:
> I am interested in the words to a song that my brothers and sisters
> sang as children.  I thought my son would like it too.  The
> only part I can remember though, goes
>
> "Swim", says the mama fishie,
> "Swim, if you can",
> And they swam, and they swam
> right over the dam.

~Down in a meadow in an iddy bitty pool~
~swam three little fishies and a mama fishie too~
~swim said the mama fishie swim if you can!~
~and they swam, and they swam, right over tham dam!~

  There is more to it, but that ius all *I* remember...hope it helps

--

====================================

tom keller
{ihnp4, dual}!ptsfa!gilbbs!mc68020

(* we may not be big, but we're small! *)

rodean@hpfcla.UUCP (03/02/86)

> I am interested in the words to a song that my brothers and sisters
> sang as children.  I thought my son would like it too.  The
> only part I can remember though, goes

> "Swim", says the mama fishie,
> "Swim, if you can",
> And they swam, and they swam
> right over the dam.

> Thank you so much.  It has my driving me and my sister nuts not being
> able to remember.

I recall it as going:

	Down at the bottom of an itty-bitty pool,
	Swam three little fishies
	And the mama fishie too.
	"Swim", said the mama fishie,
	"Swim, if you can",
	And they swam, and they swam
	right over the dam.

Then this phonetic gibberish followed (sung very fast), but I'm afraid
it loses something in the translation:

	Itten bitten diddely witten
	Esko beeten yoten boten
	Bobo ska deetent dotten
	Wah dah a choo HAY!

Bruce Rodean
{ihnp4|hplabs}!hpfcla!rodean

pete@octopus.UUCP (Pete Holzmann) (03/02/86)

My mom sang this to me when I was a kid too.  I remember
it as follows:

  Down in the meadow in an iddy biddy pool
  Fwam fwee widdle fiddies and a momma fiddy too;
  "Fwim!" said the momma fiddy,
  "Fwim, if you can."
  And they fwam and they fwam all over the dam.

 Ip dip diddum daddum waddum choo (x3)
 And they fwam and they fwam all over the dam.

My mom said that she remembered this as a popular song on the radio,
(in the 20s? 30s?...) and they sang it in "baby talk" as typed
above.  Captain Kangaroo sang it in "adult" talk.

			  Have fun! --Leslie (Pete's wife)

--
  OOO   __| ___      Peter Holzmann, Octopus Enterprises
 OOOOOOO___/ _______ USPS: 19611 La Mar Court, Cupertino, CA 95014

avolio@decuac.UUCP (03/03/86)

In article <198@octopus.UUCP>, pete@octopus.UUCP writes:
> My mom sang this to me when I was a kid too.  I remember
> it as follows:
>
>   Down in the meadow in an iddy biddy pool
>   Fwam fwee widdle fiddies and a momma fiddy too;
>   "Fwim!" said the momma fiddy,
>   "Fwim, if you can."
>   And they fwam and they fwam all over the dam.
>
>  Ip dip diddum daddum waddum choo (x3)
>  And they fwam and they fwam all over the dam.
>
> My mom said that she remembered this as a popular song on the radio,
> (in the 20s? 30s?...) and they sang it in "baby talk" as typed

Try 40s. circa WWII.  And no, I am not old enough.  Just like to listen to
Big Band Music.

Subsequent verses (I can't type in baby-talk)   are close to this.

"Stop," cried the Momma fish,
"You'll get lost!"
But the three little fishies didn't want to be bossed
The three little fishies were out on a spree
and they swam and they swan out to the sea.

CHORUS

three little fishes  thought
it's a lot of fun,
to swim in the sea til the day is done!
To the three little fishies it was all a lark
til all of a sunnden they spied a shark

CHORUS

Oooo cried the fishies, look at the whale!
And quick as they could they turned on their tails.
The three little fishies swam as fast as they can.
And they swam and they swam,
back to the dam.
--
Fred @ DEC Ultrix Applications Center
UUCP: {decvax,seismo,cbosgd}!decuac!avolio         INET: avolio@decuac.DEC.COM

halle@hou2b.UUCP (J.HALLE) (03/04/86)

Does anyone know who had a big hit with Three Little Fishies?  I think
it's still his biggest hit.  And it was his first.

Answer: Michael Delaney Dowd.  (That's his real name.  His stage name is:
[answer in a week if I don't see it first])

allen@bunker.UUCP (C. Allen Grabert) (03/11/86)

In article <46300017@hpfclo.UUCP> rodean@hpfcla.UUCP writes:
>Then this phonetic gibberish followed (sung very fast), but I'm afraid
>it loses something in the translation:
>
>	Itten bitten diddely witten
>	Esko beeten yoten boten
>	Bobo ska deetent dotten
>	Wah dah a choo HAY!
>
>Bruce Rodean
>{ihnp4|hplabs}!hpfcla!rodean

YES, YES, YES!!  I remember this from Boy Scout camporees (one at least)!
Guess it's not reserved for children only.

--

"She's as beautiful, oh so beautiful, beautiful as a foot..."
Allen Grabert (...ittatc!bunker!allen)