[net.astro] Solstice =/= Earliest Sunset?

daemon@decwrl.UUCP (12/22/83)

From: In.from.the.ENET, sent by Ed Featherston <roll::featherston>

 Begin Forwarded Message:

Newsgroup : net.astro
>From : DVINCI::FISHER

Subject: Solstice =/= Earliest Sunset?

One of our local (Boston) boob tube weather "personalities" made the claim that
although the winter solstice, and thus the shortest day of the year, occurs
on Dec. 21st, the date of the earliest sunset was actually last week.  Several
of us have been racking our brains trying to figure out a plausible explanation
for this alleged phenomenon, but have so far been unsuccessful.  Can anyone
out there in net.astronomy-land deny or confirm and explain this claim?

Thanks,

Burns Fisher

	UUCP:		... decvax!decwrl!rhea!dvinci!fisher
		   or	...allegra!decwrl!rhea!dvinci!fisher
		   or	... ucbvax!decwrl!rhea!dvinci!fisher

	ARPA:		decwrl!rhea!dvinci!fisher@Berkeley
		   or	decwrl!rhea!dvinci!fisher@SU-Shasta

 End Forwarded Message

karn@allegra.UUCP (Phil Karn) (12/24/83)

The reason is due to the earth's non-circular orbit. Perihelion (closest
approach to the sun) occurs during early January, and aphelion (furthest
distance from the sun) occurs during early July. Because of this, the
earth does not move at a constant rate around the sun (Kepler's laws and
all that.)  The "mean" sun corresponds to the position the sun would
occupy at a given time of year if the earth's orbit were perfectly
circular; the "real" sun will be either ahead or behind, depending on
the time of year.

Between July and January, when it is falling toward perihelion, the earth
is behind and "catching up" with it's mean position (which it will overtake
in January); during this time, the sun appears to rise and set earlier
than it would if the earth's orbit were circular.

Conversely, between January and July, when the earth is climbing toward
aphelion, the earth is "falling back" towards its mean position (which
will overtake it in July) and the sun appears to rise and set later than
it would if the earth's orbit were circular.

Combine this effect with the symmetrical shortening of the day
(later sunrise, earlier sunset) you get at the winter solstice, and you
can see why the earliest sunset of the year occurs before the solstice.

Phil Karn

ajs@hpfcla.UUCP (12/30/83)

#R:decwrl:-469600:hpfcla:37600001:000:830
hpfcla!ajs    Dec 25 17:10:00 1983

Length of day is  dependent  on the angle of the Earth's  axis away from
the Sun.  The minimum occurs when the Earth passes  through the point in
its orbit  where the North Pole is furthest  "out".  However,  the small
ellipticity  of the Earth's  orbit  causes it to be a little  "ahead" or
"behind" of where a circular orbit would put it at certain  times.  This
is expressed in the "equation of time", which gives the deviation (up to
14 minutes, if I recall  correctly).  So, it's possible that the sunrise
time could get a little  earlier for a time near the  Solstice,  even as
the days got shorter.

So much for my layman's  explanation;  let's see how the experts correct
me.

Alan Silverstein, Hewlett-Packard Fort Collins Systems Division, Colorado
ucbvax!hplabs!hpfcla!ajs, 303-226-3800 x3053, N 40 31'31" W 105 00'43"

ntt@dciem.UUCP (Mark Brader) (01/04/84)

It appears that the explanations given by hpfcla!ajs (Alan Silverstein)
and allegra!karn (Phil Karn) are both correct; I checked a couple of books
and saw explanations like this:

	...the days are not of equal length.  The earth's orbit is
	elliptical, not circular, and the earth moves more rapidly
	when near the sun and more slowly when farther away.  Also,
	the earth's axis of rotation is tipped relative to the orbit.
	These two phenomena cooperate to make the `apparent' sun first
	run ahead of and then lag behind its average position.  To
	avoid the inconvenience of changing the rate of our clocks
	from day to day, we employ `mean' instead of `apparent solar
	time' for practical use.
		--Donald H. Menzel in `A Field Guide to the Stars & Planets'

Incidentally, the fact that the orbit is elliptical has another effect
besides the variation of orbital speed; it means that the sun is not at
the center of the orbit, but is about 1.5 million miles from it, i.e.,
at one focus.

I don't really understand how these effects combine to give the actual
result, though, which is more complicated than Phil Karn said.  In fact,
when I think about it, I don't understand why the axial tilt matters at all,
except perhaps to modify the *amount* of the effects of the elliptical orbit.
Those effects alone, I should think, will give longest and shortest apparent
days (i.e. noon to noon, nothing to do with longest and shortest periods of
daylight, which depend only on the axial tilt) at the aphelion and perihelion,
which is to say, the equation of time should be changing most rapidly then.

The actual equation of time, from Menzel's book, however, exhibits FOUR, not
two, lobes in the year, and all of them are unequal.  A table is given, which
I will summarize now.  Again, `equation of time' means apparent time minus
mean time, and is the correction to *subtract* from the time on a sundial
to give the actual time (after allowing for longitude and daylight time!).

I start at Feb. 14 when the ET is at its minimum.  All the dates are
estimated because the table is every 5 days.  However, it is clear that
neither the solstice/equinox dates of about the 21st of Mar./June/Sep./Dec.
(based on axial tilt) nor the aphelion/perihelion dates of about the 3rd
of Jan./July (based on elliptical orbit) appear directly in the table.
In the first column I give days from Feb. 14.

	0(365)	Feb 14	ET = -14.3 min.	major minimum
	 61	Apr 16	ET = 0		(and increasing 14 seconds/day)
	 90	May 15	ET = +3.7 min.	lesser maximum
	121	Jun 15	ET = 0		(and decreasing 13 seconds/day)
	165	Jul 29	ET = -6.4 min.	lesser minimum
	200	Sep  2	ET = 0		(and increasing 19 seconds/day)
	265	Nov  6	ET = +16.3 min.	major maximum
	315	Dec 26	ET = 0		(and decreasing 30 seconds/day)

Mark Brader