[net.misc] article in net.general

chuqui@nsc.UUCP (Zonker T. Chuqui) (11/02/84)

In article <15421@lanl.ARPA> jlg@lanl.ARPA writes:
>> In article <188@mouton.UUCP> karn@mouton.UUCP writes:
>> >It's obviously got to be a joke. I can't believe that anybody intelligent
>> >enough to use a computer believes in ESP.
>>
>> I find I'm terribly insulted by this. Don't make blind assumption on your
>> own narrow views. I agree, there is no scientifically hard evidence for ESP
>> these days, but the lack of evidence doesn't prove the lack of the ability.
>> Look at the number of people who believe in God without similar hard
>> proofs. The only thing I can say is: 'Don't knock it until you've tried it'
>>

>Anyone familiar with philosophy knows that there is a distinction between
>meta-physical and empirical subjects.  Belief in God (god, gods, none) is
>a metaphysical question for which there is, BY DEFINITION, no empirical
>evidence.  ESP on the other hand is proposed as an empirical reallity -
>even though no evidence is available to support this classification.
>Supporters of ESP (UFOs, Van Daniken, Creationism, etc.) try to use the
>language and arguments of science to promote something which has none of
>the characteristics of a science.  If the supporters of ESP and other
>pseudo-sciences were to classify their belief as metaphysical, and stop
>trying to make the rest of us accept their strange 'religon', that would
>be fine.
>
>Some have argued that these pseudo-sciences should be accepted as possible
>and studied out of a sense of intellectual fairness.  This has two problems
>with it.  First, it means that we have to study all new theories, even the
>real 'off the wall' speculations of people with no scientific background.
>Without any evidence of the plausibility of a theory 'a priori', it
>would be silly to run around checking out all these bizarre theories.
>
>Second, every time that such topic HAVE been addressed scientifically, the
>results are ambiguous or negative.  However, the proponents of the pseudo-
>science then proceed to either redefine the phenomenon (making the scientific
>study irrelevant), or to denounce the scientific team for allegedly 'covering
>up' the 'truth'.  Real sciences don't have this slippery effect.

My main complaint was the blanket statement that happened to include me in
a belief I don't happen to hold. I'm not asking anyone to believe or not
believe in ESP (I do, for very subjective and unrepeatable reasons)-- I'm
simply asking them to not brand people who don't agree with them as crazy
types. The term is tolerance. My personal belief is that there is a
scientific basis for many of the basic ideas behind ESP but that the
knowledge of brain functions and other areas of science are not yet to the
stage to allow us to understand why these things seem to exist and how to
get at them in reproducible ways. Before the structure of the atom was
known, an atom bomb would have been labeled as impossible-- a change of the
state of the art in knowledge changed our beliefs in the possible. Abscence
of proof too often is considered to be proof of absence-- any first year
logic class teaches you otherwise, but we seem to forget that. Just because
we haven't found it yet doesn't mean it doesn't exist-- it means it might
not exist, or that we simply don't have the tools to find it.

Tolerance-- believe what you wish, but give others that same right.

Note that this followup is crosslinked to net.misc as this ISN'T an
appropriate topic for net.crypt. Future followups to this message will show
up in net.misc only (we hope).

chuq
--
From the Department of Bistromatics:                   Chuq Von Rospach
{cbosgd,decwrl,fortune,hplabs,ihnp4,seismo}!nsc!chuqui  nsc!chuqui@decwrl.ARPA

  I'd know those eyes from a million years away....

james@denelcor.UUCP (James Torson) (11/03/84)

Anyone who is interested in the question of whether there is real
evidence for ESP and whether it is worthy of investigation should
read "The Persistent Paradox of Psychic Phenomena: An Engineering
Perspective" by Robert G. Jahn (Dean of the School of Engineering/
Applied Science, Princeton Univ.), Proc. of the IEEE, Vol. 70,
No. 2 (Feb, 1982), pp. 136-170.  The abstract states (in part):
	"... Over recent years, a sizeable spectrum of evidence
	has been brought forth from reputable laboratories in
	several desciplines to suggest that at times human
	consciousness can acquire information inaccessible by
	any known physical mechanism (ESP), and can influence
	the behavior of physical systems or processes (PK), but
	even the most rigorous and sophisticated of these studies
	display a characteristic dilemma: The experimental results
	are rarely replicable in the strict scientific sense, but
	the anomalous yields are well beyond chance expectations
	and a number of common features thread through the broad
	range of reported effects. ..."
By the way, the author is using a computer in the study of these
phenomena.
				Jim Torson
				Denelcor, Inc., Aurora, CO
				denelcor!james

avolio@grendel.UUCP (Frederick M. Avolio) (11/05/84)

> 				Jim Torson
> 				Denelcor, Inc., Aurora, CO
> 				denelcor!james

You know..... I *knew* Jim was going to post that article...
--
Fred Avolio, DEC -- U{LTR,N}IX Support
301/731-4100 x4227

ethan@utastro.UUCP (Ethan Vishniac) (11/05/84)

[Eat lines with a rusty diode and DIE]

Oh lord give me strength.

    If you must read the work of that stouthearted Princeton engineer
then please read the appropriate critiques.  Check the "Skeptical
Enquirer" for references.  Personally I think the abstract statement
about the results not being significant in any formal sense just
about says it all.

     Oh wow, he used a computer.  I guess it must be right.

"I can't help it if my     Ethan Vishniac
    knee jerks"         {charm,ut-sally,ut-ngp,noao}!utastro!ethan
                           Department of Astronomy
                           University of Texas
                           Austin, Texas 78712

sunny@sun.uucp (Sunny Kirsten) (11/06/84)

	I can believe that anybody psychically insensitive enough to need
to use a computer wouldn't have experienced ESP, and therefore wouldn't
believe in it.  AFter all, if it can't be measured in our physical laboratories
then it must not exist in our physical world.  Exactly.  It is not of our
physical world.  It is of the spiritual world.

	We are spirits in a material world.
--
exit
{ucbvax,decvax,ihnp4}!sun!sunny (Sunny Kirsten of Sun Microsystems Inc.)

jhull@spp2.UUCP (11/07/84)

> >Some have argued that these pseudo-sciences should be accepted as possible
> >and studied out of a sense of intellectual fairness.  This has two problems
> >with it.  First, it means that we have to study all new theories, even the
> >real 'off the wall' speculations of people with no scientific background.
> >Without any evidence of the plausibility of a theory 'a priori', it
> >would be silly to run around checking out all these bizarre theories.

And we all know the earth is flat and the center of the universe.
Remember that these were "'off the wall' speculations" at one time.

> >Second, every time that such topic HAVE been addressed scientifically, the
> >results are ambiguous or negative.  However, the proponents of the pseudo-
> >science then proceed to either redefine the phenomenon (making the scientific
> >study irrelevant), or to denounce the scientific team for allegedly 'covering
> >up' the 'truth'.  Real sciences don't have this slippery effect.

Really?  What about the searches for various sub-atomic particles,
e.g., quarks?  How do you describe the research of the Rhine
Institute?

Furthermore, "science" deals only with repeatable phenomena and
especially conditions for repeatability (see scientific method,
definition of).  Some phenomena are inherently unrepeatable, e.g., the
Big Bang, but should that stop us from studying them?  Other phenomena
are, apparrently, unique, i.e., unrepeatable, at least in practice if
not in theory.  An example of this class of phenomena is the birth of
a baby.  (Oh, yeah?  When did you see 2 babies with exactly the same
chromosomes & genes? The same fingerprints?)  Should we stop studying
such phenomena?  "Science" deals with this problem by classing
otherwise unique phenomena by some common characteristic.

My purpose in offering this is to prompt some re-evaluation of the
common view of what science is and its appropriate role in our
society.

--
					Blecsed Be,

jhull@spp2.UUCP				Jeff Hull
trwspp!spp2!jhull@trwrb.UUCP		13817 Yukon Ave.
					Hawthorne, CA 90250

north@down.FUN (Stephen C North) (11/07/84)

we report with profound embarrassment that he is using our computer.

--
Parturiunt montes, nascetur ridiculus mus!