[net.misc] Trivial Pursuit Wrong?

phil@amd.UUCP (Phil Ngai) (10/07/84)

I just played a game of Trivial Pursuit in which I think one of the
answers was wrong.

Q. Who's last words were "My God, I'm hit."?

Their answer was John Kennedy. I thought he was hit in the brain and
died instantly. Other members of my team thought the person who said
those words was sitting next to Kennedy and survived.

Comments?
--

 Phil Ngai (408) 982-6554
 UUCPnet: {ucbvax,decwrl,ihnp4,allegra,intelca}!amd!phil

ag5@pucc-i (Henry C. Mensch) (10/07/84)

<<Cubs fans, police get ready . . . >>

	You're probably right; Trivial Pursuit contains several errors.
One such error attributes a quote to Aldous Huxley when the quote actually
comes from Shakespeare ("Oh brave new world that has such people in it!")
There was an article about this in August's *ATLANTIC MONTHLY*.

Henry C. Mensch                 | Purdue University Computing Center
{decvax|ucbvax|sequent|icalqa|inuxc|uiucdcs|ihnp4}!pur-ee!pucc-i!ag5
            " . . You'd better smile when they watch you,
                  smile like you're in control. . ."
                                 -- *Smile*, Was (Not Was)

barnett@ut-sally.UUCP (Lewis Barnett) (10/08/84)

[ ----- ]

>From: phil@amd.UUCP (Phil Ngai)

>Q. Who's last words were "My God, I'm hit."?

>Their answer was John Kennedy. I thought he was hit in the brain and
>died instantly. Other members of my team thought the person who said
>those words was sitting next to Kennedy and survived.

Yes, I think it was probably John Conally (sp?), though I'm not really up
on the subject.

However, it wouldn't surprise me to find that some of the answers in the
game were wrong.  I seem to recall once getting a question about the early
manned space program the answer to which I disagreed with.  It was something
ambiguous like "Who was the third American in space?" and the answer given
was either John Glenn or whoever the *fourth* man in space (and therefore
the third to orbit the earth) -- I can't remember which.

I've heard that if you confirm an error, you can send the card to the two
guys who invented the game, and they'll take a ball point pen, correct and
initial the card, and send it back to you free of charge.  What a deal, huh?

Lewis Barnett,CS Dept, Painter Hall 3.28, Univ. of Texas, Austin, TX 78712

-- barnett@ut-sally.ARPA, barnett@ut-sally.UUCP,
      {ihnp4,seismo,ctvax}!ut-sally!barnett

john@hp-pcd.UUCP (john) (10/08/84)

<<<<

   The Bible only mentions three children for Adam and Eve but since they
were all boys there must have been some others somewhere.

John Eaton

!hplabs!hp-pcd!john

drp@ptsfb.UUCP (Dale Pederson) (10/08/84)

> I just played a game of Trivial Pursuit in which I think one of the
> answers was wrong.
>
> Q. Who's last words were "My God, I'm hit."?
>
> Their answer was John Kennedy. I thought he was hit in the brain and
> died instantly. Other members of my team thought the person who said
> those words was sitting next to Kennedy and survived.
>
> Comments?
> --
>
>  Phil Ngai (408) 982-6554
>  UUCPnet: {ucbvax,decwrl,ihnp4,allegra,intelca}!amd!phil
>  ARPAnet: amd!phil@decwrl.ARPA

There was an interesting article on trivial pursuit in the September 1984
issue of "The Atlantic".  It talked about all the wrong answers which the
author and his friends and relatives ran into while playing the game.

If I remember right, he blamed many of the errors on the fact that the game
and its questions were formulated in Canada with less rigor towards
History of the USA than he would have liked.

marcus@pyuxt.UUCP (M. G. Hand) (10/08/84)

It cannot be the only incorrect queston in Trivial Persuit,  after all
there are a whole lot of them.  Here's another:

	Q. What's the longest suspension bridge in the world?

	A. The Verrazano Narrows Bridge.

Wrong,  The Humber suspension bridge in Great Britain which was completed
in 1982 is 42 feet longer, and I understand that another in Japan is now
or will soon be longer than that.

The problem with basing games on superlatives is that they get out of date
very quickly.

(Who holds the record for the greatest number of strikeouts for a rookie
pitcher in a major league baseball?, or who has the highest strikeout average
per nine innings?...   records will keep falling...)

	Marcus Hand	(pyuxt!marcus)

page@drutx.UUCP (10/09/84)

The quote "My God, I'm hit" sounds more like it could have come from
John Lennon before he died than from John Kennedy, although I think
Lennon said something like "I've been shot".

					Bob Knipfer
					ihnp4!drutx!page

gino@voder.UUCP (Gino Bloch) (10/10/84)

[oh brave new net that has such line-eaters in't]

> 	You're probably right; Trivial Pursuit contains several errors.
> One such error attributes a quote to Aldous Huxley when the quote actually
> comes from Shakespeare ("Oh brave new world that has such people in it!")
> There was an article about this in August's *ATLANTIC MONTHLY*.
> Henry C. Mensch                 | Purdue University Computing Center

Huxley DID say it (in the front material of his book entitled {guess}).
Of course, he was quoting the Bard.
Forget the flames - I'm already contrite.
--
Gene E. Bloch (...!nsc!voder!gino)

jwp@sdchema.UUCP (John Pierce) (10/10/84)

Trivia Pursuit does contain errors.  For example, for the question:

	"Who was the first Black to win at Wimbledon?"

the answer they give is "Arthur Ashe", which is, of course, wrong.

			John Pierce
			{decvax,sdcsvax}!sdchema!jwp

arwen@sdcc3.UUCP (arwen) (10/11/84)

A further error was:  How many children did Adam and Eve have?
I forget the answer, but it was more than three.  Gotta look it up so
next time I play I don't lose my wedgie...

--
-=< Lady Arwen >=-		 ...sdcsvax!sdcc3!arwen
          ...tea in the Sahara with you...

eric@milo.UUCP (10/11/84)

	My favorite "error" is the answer to "what are the odds of drawing
an Ace from a full deck of cards?" The answer given is 12 to 1. Try convincing
a non-technical type that the game is wrong! ("Look, if you can't play the
game by the rules, let's not play at all.")

--
					eric
					...!seismo!umcp-cs!aplvax!milo!eric

ken@qantel.UUCP (Ken Nichols@ex6193) (10/12/84)

(+-+-+-+-+-+)

> A further error was:  How many children did Adam and Eve have?
> I forget the answer, but it was more than three.  Gotta look it up so
> next time I play I don't lose my wedgie...
>
> --
> -=< Lady Arwen >=-		 ...sdcsvax!sdcc3!arwen
>           ...tea in the Sahara with you...

Three of Adam and Eve's children were mentioned by name in the book of Genesis.
Cain who killed Abel his brother, and I beleive their third son was named
Seth (I don't have Genesis on me right now).  However, it seems very likely
that they had many children since they lived over 900 years!

"...holding forth the                          Ken Nichols
 word of life..." Phil 2:16                    ...!ucbvax!dual!qantel!ken
---------

conrad@nbires.UUCP (M. Conrad Geiger) (10/12/84)

>Q. Who's last words were "My God, I'm hit."?

I believe, if my memory serves me correctly (but please don't correct me
if I'm wrong this time), that Michael Jackson said those immortal words
when:

	(1). he suddenly discovered God at the tender age of 7

	and

	(2). at precisely the same time, as fate would have it, realized
		that he was "a hit".  Just another misquote here.

 Conrad Geiger

2141smh@aluxe.UUCP (henning) (10/13/84)

****                                                                 ****
From the keys of Steve Henning, AT&T Bell Labs, Reading, PA aluxe!2141smh

> 	My favorite "error" is the answer to "what are the odds of drawing
> an Ace from a full deck of cards?" The answer given is 12 to 1. Try convincing
> a non-technical type that the game is wrong! ("Look, if you can't play the
> game by the rules, let's not play at all.")

From Freund's "Modern Elementary Statistics", 3rd edition, Page 102:
"If the probability of an event is 3/4, we say the adds are 3 to 1 in
its favor; if the probability of an event is 0.95, we say that the adds
are 19 to 1 in its favor; and if the probability of an event is 0.10,
we say that the odds are 9 to 1 against it. Generally speaking the odds
for the occurrence of an event are given by the ratio of the probability
that the event will occur to the probability that it will not occur."
Thus if the odds are 5 to 1 against and you bet $2 for, then you win $10.

niemi@astroatc.UUCP (10/14/84)

In my (recently purchased) version of Trivial Pursuit (Genus Ed.) the
source to the "...brave new world..." quotation is attributed to
Willie the Shake.  Much to my chagrin my answer "Aldous Huxley"
was greeted with snorts of derision and brought my reputation as
a truly awesome Trivial Pursuit player to undeserved question.

		Bob Niem
		Astronautics Corp of America
		Madison, WI

<flame off>  sorry -- non-awesome new Unix news user --

arwen@sdcc3.UUCP (arwen) (10/15/84)

If Adam and Eve only had three children, and they were all male, then
their grandchildren would also be their children, which is an
interesting, if somewhat incestuous, proposition.
--
-=< Lady Arwen >=-		 ...sdcsvax!sdcc3!arwen
"Are you the police?"

6912ar04@sjuvax.UUCP (rowley) (11/07/84)

By the way, those WERE Kennedy's last words. See the Warren Commission report
on the subject. That's where I got my info, though I don't remember the page
number.

                                           A. J. Rowley
--
There is no dark side of the moon really; as a matter of fact, it's all dark...

                                   -"Eclipse", Pink Floyd