[net.astro] planets visible this month

rrm@inuxe.UUCP (Ron Meyer) (11/28/84)

I'll post the answers on the net so anyone else who has been wondering the
same thing can also benefit. Jim, you are correct in your guess on the
brightest planet being Venus. Other than the sun and moon, it is the
brightest object you will see in the sky. Unless of course, a spectacular
supernova happens to appear sometime. The other object near venus is jupiter.
If you have a set of binoculars (or a telescope would be better) you may
be able to see some of jupiters moon's, but you need to hold the binocs.
very steady to see them. With a telescope however, the moons are very easy
to see as well as detail in the planets atmospheric bands. Also if one happens
to look to the east along the eclipitic, you will notice a red object which
is also fairly bright (maybe about 1 or 2 magnitudes dimmer than jupiter).
This happens to be the planet Mars. If you have a telescope and most
importantly, a steady atmosphere, you may be able to see  detail on this
planet as well.

					Ron Meyer
					inuxe!rrm
					Secretary-Indiana Astronomical Soc.

ltn@lems.UUCP (Les Niles) (12/03/84)

[]

In article <inuxe.665> rrm@inuxe.UUCP (Ron Meyer) writes:
>...  If you have a set of binoculars (or a telescope would be better) you may
>be able to see some of jupiters moon's, ....

This reminds me, i remeber reading somewhere that jupiter's moons are fairly
bright (mag. 5 or so), and would be visible to the naked eye if not for the
glare of jupiter, and that by standing so that some nearby object *just*
blocks out the planet, the moons are visible.  I wonder if anyone has ever
really seen this???  It would take a pretty dark & clear sky, and it would
probably help to know when the moons were at their greatest elongation.

-les niles