[net.astro] re Female Planets

jay@npois.UUCP (Anton Winteroak) (04/09/85)

	Earth and Venus are the only female planets, true enough Muffy.
There are some other bodies named after mythical females though.
Ceres, Io, Europa, Titania, to name a few of the biggest. If you are
pointing out a bias towards male names, you are justified.

			Anton Winteroak

muffy@lll-crg.ARPA (Muffy Barkocy) (04/11/85)

In article <273@npois.UUCP> jay@npois.UUCP (Anton Winteroak) writes:

>	Earth and Venus are the only female planets, true enough Muffy.
>There are some other bodies named after mythical females though.
>Ceres, Io, Europa, Titania, to name a few of the biggest. If you are
>pointing out a bias towards male names, you are justified.
>
>			Anton Winteroak

Actually, I hadn't really considered it, it just occurred to me at the
time.  Now I'm curious.  What *is* the distribution of male/female/animal/
thing names for stars, planets, constellations, etc?  Has anybody paid any
attention to this rather useless (but vaguely interesting) statistic?

                         Muffy

fisher@wsgate.DEC (04/12/85)

> Ceres, Io, Europa, and Titania to name a few (non-planetary female heavenly
> bodies)

What is the heavenly body Titania?  The masculine form Titan is a moon of
Saturn.

Also, what is the mythical female Europa?  Was the continent of Europe named
after her also? (I always thought the moon Europa was named after the
continent!)

Burns

	UUCP:	... {decvax|allegra|ucbvax}!decwrl!rhea!dvinci!fisher

	ARPA:	fisher%dvinci.dec@decwrl.ARPA

phl@drusd.UUCP (LavettePH) (04/17/85)

>Actually, I hadn't really considered it, it just occurred to me at the
>time.  Now I'm curious.  What *is* the distribution of male/female/animal/
>thing names for stars, planets, constellations, etc?  Has anybody paid any
>attention to this rather useless (but vaguely interesting) statistic?
>
>                         Muffy

It's not as useless as you may think, Muffy.  The naming of celestial objects
and the boundaries of the constellations are sometimes the subject of intense
international debate.

I dug most of this out of the RASC's Observer's Handbook.

Assigning masculine or feminine gender to a constellation is a rather simple
thing, but you should keep in mind that other objects are contained within the
borders of the constellation.  A good example is Taurus.  The bull is definitely
masculine, but the constellation contains the Pleides which is a cluster made up
of Atlas, his wife Pleione and his seven daughters Alcyone, Merope, Asterope,
Taygeta, Celaeno, Electra and Maia. For those who keep score Taurus would have
to go into the record books as:  Males (2) - Females (8).  I didn't include the
eighth daughter who hid her face in shame when Troy fell to the Greeks.

The constellation names are also those published in the New General Catalog that
was published around 1898 and are in current useage by international agreement.
Virtually every civilization over the last 3500 years has grouped the stars and
referred to them differently than we do now. The Japanese, for example, refer to
the Pleides as Suburu.  Take a good look at the logo on their cars and trucks.

I took the liberty of assigning all "objects" into the "Neuter" category even
though some of them like Sagitta, the arrow, have feminine endings.  Except for
obvious animals like Leo, Taurus and Aries I didn't even try to categorize the
animals, fish, birds and bugs.  Latin was never my strong suit.  |-)

It looks like the constellations shape up as:

Males	(20)	Females	(5)	Objects	(29)	Animals	(36)

CONSTELLATION           SUBJECT						GENDER

Andromeda		Ethiopian princess rescued by Perseus		Female
Antlia			The air pump					Neuter
Apus			The bird of paradise				Animal
Aquarius		The water carrier				Male
Aquilla			The eagle					Animal
Ara			The altar					Neuter
Aries			The ram 					Male
Auriga			The charioteer					Male
Bootes			The herdsman					Male
Caelum			The chisel					Neuter
Camelopardalis		The giraffe					Animal
Cancer			The crab					Animal
Canes Venatici		The hunting dogs				Animal
Canis Major		The large dog					Animal
Canis Minor		The small dog					Animal
Capricornus		The goat					Animal
Carina			The keel					Neuter
Cassiopeia		Mother of Andromeda				Female
Centaurus		The centaur					Male
Cepheus			Father of Andromeda				Male
Cetus			The whale					Animal
Chamaeleon		The chameleon					Animal
Circinus		The compasses					Neuter
Columba			The dove					Animal
Coma Berenices		Berenice's hair					Female
Corona Australis	The southern crown				Neuter
Corona Borealis		The northern crown				Neuter
Corvus			The crow					Animal
Crater			The cup						Neuter
Crux			The cross					Neuter
Cygnus			The swan					Animal
Delphinas		The dolphin					Animal
Dorado			The goldfish					Animal
Draco			The dragon					Animal
Equuleus		The little horse				Animal
Eridanus		A river						Neuter
Fornax			The furnace					Neuter
Gemini			The twins					Male
Grus			The crane (bird)				Animal
Hercules		Son of Zeus					Male
Horologium		The clock					Neuter
Hydra			The water snake					Female
Hydrus			The water snake					Male
Indus			The indian					Male
Lacerta			The lizard					Animal
Leo 			The lion					Male
Leo Minor		The small lion					Animal
Lepus			The hare					Animal
Libra			The scales					Neuter
Lupus			The wolf					Animal
Lynx			The lynx					Animal
Lyra			The lyre					Neuter
Mensa			Table mountain					Neuter
Microscopium		The microscope					Neuter
Monoceros		The unicorn					Animal
Musca			The fly						Animal
Norma			The square					Neuter
Octans			The octant					Neuter
Ophiuchus		The serpent bearer				Male
Orion			The hunter					Male
Pavo			The peacock					Male
Pegasus			The winged stallion				Male
Perseus			Rescuer of Andromeda				Male
Pheonix			The pheonix					Animal
Pictor			The painter					Male
Pisces			The fishes					Animal
Piscis Austrinas	The southern fish				Animal
Puppis			The stern					Neuter
Pyxis			The compass					Neuter
Reticulum		The reticle					Neuter
Sagitta			The arrow					Neuter
Saggitarius		The archer					Male
Scorpius		The scorpion					Animal
Sculptor		The sculptor					Male
Scutum			The shield					Neuter
Serpens Caput		The serpent's head				Animal
Serpens Cauda		The serpent's tail				Animal
Sextans			The sextant					Neuter
Taurus			The bull					Male
Telescopium		The telescope					Neuter
Triangulum		The triangle					Neuter
Triangulum Australe	The southern triangle				Neuter
Tucana			The toucan					Animal
Ursa Major		The great bear					Animal
Ursa Minor		The small bear					Animal
Vela			The sails					Neuter
Virgo			The maiden					Female
Volans			The flying fish					Animal
Vulpecula		The fox						Animal

- Phil

freeman@spar.UUCP (Jay Freeman) (04/19/85)

#### sacrificial offering to the line-eater ####

The issue of constellation boundaries and types is particularly
interesting in connection with the zodiac:  The word means
"circle of life" -- that's "zo-" as in "zoology" and "-dia-" as
in "diameter"; and indeed, all the classic constellations along the
plane of the ecliptic are animate objects.  [The "-c" is a tribute
to a computer language developed at Bell labs. :-) ]

Except for one!  Libra -- the scale of justice -- may well have been
the most recent addition to the zodiacal constellations.  It was clearly
formed from part of its neighbor, the Scorpion:  The names of
its prominent stars still mean "northern claw" and "southern claw".

And the modern constellation boundaries mix things up a little more.
One can sometime perplex a believer in astrology by mentioning that
so-and-so was born when the sun was in Ophiuchus. :-)

Along the classic zodiac, I count eight male figures (Gemini is two),
one female, and a bunch of known-but-to-themselves.