[net.astro] Big Commercial Dobson Telescopes

freeman@spar.UUCP (Jay Freeman) (07/01/85)

In article <969@mhuxt.UUCP> evans@mhuxt.UUCP (crandall) writes:

>                      ... I have noticed several light weight large
>aperture reflectors described in the pages of Sky and Telescope. Does
>anyone know about any commercial versions of these monsters, or do they
>only appear at Stellafane and Riverside?

Coulter Optical Company makes humungeous "Dobson"-style altazimuth
Newtonian reflectors.  They work and are good values.  The thirteen-inch
Odyssey I is common at star parties in the San Francisco area, and widely
respected as a deep-sky instrument.  It's about as large as one human
being can conveniently haul around and set up.  The ten-inch version is
substantially more portable.

(I have no financial interest in Coulter.)

--
Jay Reynolds Freeman (Schlumberger Palo Alto Research)(canonical disclaimer)