[net.astro] StarDate: July 8 The Solar Corona

dipper@utastro.UUCP (Debbie Byrd) (07/08/85)

The word corona means "crown" -- and the sun's corona really looks like
a crown.  More -- after this.

July 8 The Solar Corona

On today's date in the year 1842, there was a total eclipse of the
sun.  It became famous for some of the earliest scientific descriptions
of the sun's corona.

The solar corona is just the tenuous outermost atmosphere of the sun.
The corona is visible to us only during a total eclipse, when the black
disk of the moon blots out the main body of the sun -- and the corona
appears as a lovely encircling shell of wispy white light.

Some early astronomers believed that the solar corona was only an
optical illusion.  But the first photographs of a total eclipse proved
that the corona is real.

In 1869, scientists used a device called a spectroscope to split the
white light of the corona into its component rainbow of colors.
Instead of all colors being present, only a few puzzling sharp bright
discrete colors were found.  Fifty years later this evidence was
understood to mean that the sun's outer atmosphere has a much higher
temperature than the photosphere, which is the visible surface of the
sun.

In fact, the temperature of the corona is about two million degrees
centigrade, compared to only about six thousand degrees for the
photosphere.  In other words, as you go up from the visible surface of
the sun to the sun's outer atmosphere, things get hotter -- not colder
as you might expect.  Some combination of magnetic effects and shock
waves appears to be transmitting energy from beneath the sun's surface
up into the tenuous corona.

Script by Deborah Byrd and Harlan Smith.
(c) Copyright 1984, 1985 McDonald Observatory, University of Texas at Austin

msb@lsuc.UUCP (Mark Brader) (07/18/85)

dipper@utastro.UUCP (Debbie Byrd) writes:
> July 8 The Solar Corona
>
> On today's date in the year 1842, there was a total eclipse of the
> sun.  It became famous for some of the earliest scientific descriptions
> of the sun's corona.

The reason there were no earlier scientific descriptions is that the
present visible (excited) form of the corona has only existed since about
that time, or perhaps a few decades previously.  Apparently the sun's
level of activity tends to change at intervals on the order of a century,
and the present level is exceptionally high.

Periods of high activity are characterized by the presence of sunspots
and the appearance of auroras.  (Whether there is always a (2x11)-year cycle
when there are sunspots is unknown due to the scarcity of pre-telescopic
sunspot observations.)  But even in past periods of high activity there are
no descriptions of eclipses resembling the way they appear now with the corona.
The present level, as I said, must therefore be exceptionally high.

In periods of low activity there are almost no sunspots at all.  This most
recently happened from 1645 to 1715.  (There were then almost no auroras
in Scandinavia where they are now commonplace.)  This may be why, when Schwabe
described the 11-year sunspot cycle about 1840, he was not believed at first.
When he was seen to be correct, scientists fell into believing that it had
always been that way, rather than that Schwabe had observed something new,
and the 1645-1715 "Maunder minimum" had to be rediscovered more than once
in historical records (Halley, Newton...) before IT was believed.

Anyway, the 1645-1715 period coincides with the coldest part of the "Little
Ice Age", when places like Britain had what we here call a winter.  Evidence
is that this is not a coincidence, and therefore the present global temperature
is unusually high (but may stay that way in future due to man's CO2 output).

My source for all this is the article "The Case of the Missing Sunspots",
by John A. Eddy, in Scientific American, May 1977, p.80.  Eddy was the
second rediscoverer, after Maunder (mentioned above).  Anyone know of
further developments since then?

Mark Brader

cramer@kontron.UUCP (Clayton Cramer) (07/25/85)

> dipper@utastro.UUCP (Debbie Byrd) writes:
> > July 8 The Solar Corona
> >
> > On today's date in the year 1842, there was a total eclipse of the
> > sun.  It became famous for some of the earliest scientific descriptions
> > of the sun's corona.
> >

> The reason there were no earlier scientific descriptions is that the
> present visible (excited) form of the corona has only existed since about
> that time, or perhaps a few decades previously.  Apparently the sun's
> level of activity tends to change at intervals on the order of a century,
> and the present level is exceptionally high.
>
> Periods of high activity are characterized by the presence of sunspots
> and the appearance of auroras.  (Whether there is always a (2x11)-year cycle
> when there are sunspots is unknown due to the scarcity of pre-telescopic
> sunspot observations.)  But even in past periods of high activity there are
> no descriptions of eclipses resembling the way they appear now with the corona.
> The present level, as I said, must therefore be exceptionally high.
>
> In periods of low activity there are almost no sunspots at all.  This most
> recently happened from 1645 to 1715.  (There were then almost no auroras
> in Scandinavia where they are now commonplace.)  This may be why, when Schwabe
> described the 11-year sunspot cycle about 1840, he was not believed at first.
> When he was seen to be correct, scientists fell into believing that it had
> always been that way, rather than that Schwabe had observed something new,
> and the 1645-1715 "Maunder minimum" had to be rediscovered more than once
> in historical records (Halley, Newton...) before IT was believed.
>
> Anyway, the 1645-1715 period coincides with the coldest part of the "Little
> Ice Age", when places like Britain had what we here call a winter.  Evidence
> is that this is not a coincidence, and therefore the present global temperature
> is unusually high (but may stay that way in future due to man's CO2 output).
>
> My source for all this is the article "The Case of the Missing Sunspots",
> by John A. Eddy, in Scientific American, May 1977, p.80.  Eddy was the
> second rediscoverer, after Maunder (mentioned above).  Anyone know of
> further developments since then?
>
> Mark Brader

I just *know* I'm going to get flamed for this.

When I was a kid (about 8 or 9), I became very interested in the subject
of the sunspot period.  I grabbed the birth years of 100 randomly selected
Nobel laureates and plotted them versus sun spot records.  Fifty per cent
of the Nobel laureates were born in the 20% of the years when sun spot
activity was at its lowest.

Of course, only being 8 or 9, I didn't have a sufficient grasp of statistics
to do a more detailed analysis, nor quite the skills to get a Federal grant
to study this issue. :-)  Makes you wonder if the explosion of knowledge
and technology in the last few centuries might be connected to the increase
in solar activity?

Just a thought.  When the above ideas revolutionize biophysics, I'm sure
I won't get any credit for sparking it.:-)

josh@polaris.UUCP (Josh Knight) (07/25/85)

In article <713@lsuc.UUCP> msb@lsuc.UUCP (Mark Brader|LSUC|Toronto) writes:

 > My source for all this is the article "The Case of the Missing Sunspots",
 > by John A. Eddy, in Scientific American, May 1977, p.80.  Eddy was the
 > second rediscoverer, after Maunder (mentioned above).  Anyone know of
 > further developments since then?

The Maunder minimum is observed in ice cores, I believe from both Greenland
and Antartica.  Solar activity also produces the C14 (i.e. the radioactive
isotope of Carbon used for dating) in the earth's atmosphere and the
calibration of the Carbon dating scheme with continuous/overlapping
tree ring records back some 5000 years can be used to infer solar activity
over that time.  I'm not sure (can't read the papers right now, just
have references listed in my thesis without article titles), but I think
one of the articles:

 Science Vol. 192, p. 1189, 1976, by J.A. Eddy
      or
 Science Vol. 198, p. 824, 1977, by J.A. Eddy, P.A. Gilman and D.E. Trotter

(probably the first) talks about what can be inferred about solar activity
in the long term.  I seem to remember that there were controversial findings
of 11 year cycles in tree rings by an acknowledged expert on the topic (tree
rings, weather etc.) and these would most likely be before the Maunder Minimum.
None of this is "since" the SciAm article, but more recent papers are more
likely to cite the Science articles (and therefore be traceable via the science
citation index) than the SciAm article.
--

		Josh Knight, IBM T.J. Watson Research
    josh at YKTVMH on BITNET, josh.yktvmh.ibm-sj on CSnet,