[net.astro] LATE POSTINGS!

frustrated@hou2h.UUCP (frustrated) (07/05/85)

         I always enjoy reading the postings on net.astro and
         net.astro.expert, but why are all the articles about
         stardates that are usually ten days old.  I read the
         net everyday, and there are postings for dates three
         or four days old. Why not come up to date people????

bill@utastro.UUCP (William H. Jefferys) (07/07/85)

>          I always enjoy reading the postings on net.astro and
>          net.astro.expert, but why are all the articles about
>          stardates that are usually ten days old.  I read the
>          net everyday, and there are postings for dates three
>          or four days old. Why not come up to date people????

The Stardate postings are posted on the same day that they are
broadcast on the radio.  They are posted to USENET as a service
to its readers.  It would be unfair to the broadcasters
(who pay for Stardate) if it were to be posted earlier.
Unfortunately, there is an unavoidable propagation delay in the
net, and the farther you are from utastro, the later you will
read Stardate.

Stardate is carried by hundreds of radio stations across the
United States.  Check your local station for availability, or
write
	Stardate
	% McDonald Observatory
	The University of Texas at Austin
	Austin, TX 78712

for information.  If no local station carries it, and you would
like them to, lobby the station manager!

--
"Men never do evil so cheerfully and so completely as when they do so from
	religious conviction."  -- Blaise Pascal

	Bill Jefferys  8-%
	Astronomy Dept, University of Texas, Austin TX 78712   (USnail)
	{allegra,ihnp4}!{ut-sally,noao}!utastro!bill	(uucp)
	bill%utastro.UTEXAS@ut-sally.ARPA		(ARPANET)

crs@lanl.ARPA (07/15/85)

> Command: followup
> Newsgroups: net.astro
> To: bill@utastro.UUCP
> Subject: Re: LATE POSTINGS!
>
> **** This line reserved for the slithy line-eater ****
>

> > >          I always enjoy reading the postings on net.astro and
> > >          net.astro.expert, but why are all the articles about
> > >          stardates that are usually ten days old.  I read the
> > >          net everyday, and there are postings for dates three
> > >          or four days old. Why not come up to date people????
> >
> > The Stardate postings are posted on the same day that they are
> > broadcast on the radio.  They are posted to USENET as a service
> > to its readers.  It would be unfair to the broadcasters
> > (who pay for Stardate) if it were to be posted earlier.
> > Unfortunately, there is an unavoidable propagation delay in the
> > net, and the farther you are from utastro, the later you will
> > read Stardate.
>

> The delay you mention is unpleasant, but how can you complain about
> *free* information?  The folks at UTA are doing a superb job!
>
> 		Don Gillespie
> 		AT&T-IS Labs (Holmdel)
> 		[inhp4]!mtgzz!deg

They certainly are -- and we receive them here (Northern New Mexico)
on (usually) the date they are broadcast.

Charlie
--
Charlie Sorsby
...!{cmcl2,ihnp4,...}!lanl!crs

jkw@lanl.ARPA (07/15/85)

> > >          I always enjoy reading the postings on net.astro and
> > >          net.astro.expert, but why are all the articles about
> > >          stardates that are usually ten days old.  I read the
> > >          net everyday, and there are postings for dates three
> > >          or four days old. Why not come up to date people????
> >
> > The Stardate postings are posted on the same day that they are
> > broadcast on the radio.  They are posted to USENET as a service
> > to its readers.  It would be unfair to the broadcasters
> > (who pay for Stardate) if it were to be posted earlier.
> > Unfortunately, there is an unavoidable propagation delay in the
> > net, and the farther you are from utastro, the later you will
> > read Stardate.
>

> The delay you mention is unpleasant, but how can you complain about
> *free* information?  The folks at UTA are doing a superb job!
>
> 		Don Gillespie
> 		AT&T-IS Labs (Holmdel)
> 		[inhp4]!mtgzz!deg

My sentiments exactly -- HATS OFF to Debby Byrd, Diane Hadley, Joel Block
and the rest of the Stardate gang !!!

       ~  The ocean is a desert with its life underground and the   ~
       ~  perfect disguise above ...                                ~
	  Jay Wooten  Los Alamos National Lab  ARPA:jkw@lanl.ARPA

fred@mnetor.UUCP (Fred Williams) (07/18/85)

In article <28312@lanl.ARPA> jkw@lanl.ARPA writes:

>> The delay you mention is unpleasant, but how can you complain about
>> *free* information?  The folks at UTA are doing a superb job!
>>
>> 		Don Gillespie
>> 		AT&T-IS Labs (Holmdel)
>> 		[inhp4]!mtgzz!deg
>
>My sentiments exactly -- HATS OFF to Debby Byrd, Diane Hadley, Joel Block
>and the rest of the Stardate gang !!!
>	  Jay Wooten  Los Alamos National Lab  ARPA:jkw@lanl.ARPA

	WHAT???  This Stardate stuff is astronomical trivia. It's
like somebody posting multiplication tables on net.math. I gave up
trying to get anything valuable out of them. It's like watching an
astronomical Mr. Dress Up, wihtout the entertainment factor.
	If Debby, Diane, & Joel are reading this, PLEASE post
with some meat in it!!! Tell me something new. This stuff is
BORING!!!

Cheers,		Fred Williams

deg@mtgzz.UUCP (d.e.gillespie) (07/20/85)

Command: followup
Newsgroups: net.astro
To: bill@utastro.UUCP
Subject: Re: LATE POSTINGS!

plw@panda.UUCP (Pete Williamson) (07/24/85)

>>> The delay you mention is unpleasant, but how can you complain about
>>> *free* information?  The folks at UTA are doing a superb job!

>>My sentiments exactly -- HATS OFF to Debby Byrd, Diane Hadley, Joel Block
>>and the rest of the Stardate gang !!!

>	WHAT???  This Stardate stuff is astronomical trivia. It's
>like somebody posting multiplication tables on net.math. I gave up
>trying to get anything valuable out of them. It's like watching an
>astronomical Mr. Dress Up, wihtout the entertainment factor.
>	If Debby, Diane, & Joel are reading this, PLEASE post
>with some meat in it!!! Tell me something new. This stuff is
>BORING!!!
>
>Cheers,		Fred Williams

Stardate, I believe, is for us people who don't know it all, Fred.
My modest little mind actually enjoys this "Astronomical Trivia".
I think the subjects are interesting and the scripts well written.
Please keep up the good work, Stargate Gang.

--
						Pete Williamson
"By hook or by crook, we will !!" ... #2

crs@lanl.ARPA (07/24/85)

> >My sentiments exactly -- HATS OFF to Debby Byrd, Diane Hadley, Joel Block
> >and the rest of the Stardate gang !!!
> >	  Jay Wooten  Los Alamos National Lab  ARPA:jkw@lanl.ARPA
>
> 	WHAT???  This Stardate stuff is astronomical trivia. It's
> like somebody posting multiplication tables on net.math. I gave up
> trying to get anything valuable out of them. It's like watching an
> astronomical Mr. Dress Up, wihtout the entertainment factor.
> 	If Debby, Diane, & Joel are reading this, PLEASE post
> with some meat in it!!! Tell me something new. This stuff is
> BORING!!!
>
> Cheers,		Fred Williams

Fred,

Some of us are not astronomy experts and enjoy (and are informed by)
the stardate postings.  Perhaps you should be reading net.astro.expert
(I believe that is the correct group name) instead.  As has been
pointed out in the past, the stardate postings are actually scripts
for the stardate radio series.  They are directed to the general
public and are not intended as a tutorial for astronomy experts.

I second (or I guess it's third :-) the Bravo! for Stardate.
--
All opinions are mine alone...

Charlie Sorsby
...!{cmcl2,ihnp4,...}!lanl!crs
crs@lanl.arpa

GMS@psuvm.BITNET (07/26/85)

Gee, I rather disagree with Fred Williamson's contention that the STARDATE
postings are boring.  I have been an amateur astronomer for about 25 years
(and a professional for 4) and still find the postings interesting (abeit
a bit late on my node).

Keep in mind that these are created for a public that knows very little
about astronomy.

To Debby and the rest: keep up the great work!  I'll be watching for
Debby's  upcoming monthly column in Sky and Telescope!

Gerry Santoro
Penn State University
. . . !psuvax1!santoro
. . . !psuvax1!psuvm.bitnet!gms