[net.astro] Light Pollution -- The meaning of "dark"

freeman@spar.UUCP (Jay Freeman) (07/26/85)

[]

In article <700002@pbear.UUCP> peterb@pbear.UUCP writes:

>I agree. Unless you have been far from the city, you won't believe how much
>light pollution affects astral viewing!!!  Just for the fun of it, I took my
>Celeston 5" down to Nantucket Island(which is 26 miles from MA) [...]

On a good night from a quite dark site in California (Fremont Peak State
Park, with lower fog obscuring local lights), Stefan's Quintet was
detectable (though not resolvable into individual galaxies) in a C-5, at (I
think I remember but my observing logs are at home) 50X.
--
Jay Reynolds Freeman (Schlumberger Palo Alto Research)(canonical disclaimer)