[net.astro] Orphaned Response

dac@hpfcrx.UUCP (dac) (11/18/84)

>>P.S.  While I'm at it -- any suggestions on what I should buy for myself to
>>use when Halley's Comet comes around?

You should buy yourself a plane ticket to the southern hemisphere.

goldsten@uiucdcsb.Uiuc.ARPA (07/01/85)

The stars are so far away that they are essentially point objects and
thus are very susceptible to interference.  The planets are far away but
aren't as close to being point objects as stars (meaning they appear a little
wider) and thus aren't as susceptible to interference.

hamilton@uiucuxc.Uiuc.ARPA (07/20/85)

/* Written  1:18 pm  Jul  2, 1985 by daleske@cbdkc1.UUCP in uiucuxc:net.astro */
Yes, in response to the question of the validity of the source for the
JAL report, I heard it on All Things Considered on National Public
Radio.  They reported on it for two days, originally with some inuendo
about some testing by the Soviets and relating it to the area where
the Soviet-downed JAL airliner went down.
/* End of text from uiucuxc:net.astro */

hmm innocent garbling would turn "soviet-downed KAL" into "JAL",
but i thought the 2 incidents took place on opposite sides of japan...?
sounds like ATC must have been REALLY stretching things this time.

jad@hpfcla.UUCP (jad) (07/25/85)

> /***** hpfclo:net.astro / 1955GMS@sun!GMS /  7:29 pm  Jul 17, 1985*/
> I heartily endorse the idea of sharing astronomical software, and ...
>
> I would be willing to help the process by gathering (1) a mailing list (email
> on uucp, arpa, csnet, berkleynet or bitnet hopefully) of people with a
> possible interest in the software, and (2) an initial list of the available
> software.

	Great idea!  I like astro.SW myself.  In fact, in my mail
	headers (completely user definable thanks to MH) I include the
	Phase-of-the-Moon: and sunrise/sunset lines you see below.  I
	believe in free software, and would gladly post these (I ought
	to be in favor of free S/W, as I'm not the author of either of
	these piece of software!).  Anyway, let's go for it!
	[[ by the way, there was a program for halley's comet
	   in something.sources a while ago, which can be posted  ]]

Phase-of-the-Moon: Waxing Crescent (49% of Full)
Sunrise:  5:49		Sunset:  20:26   (MDT)

				--	jad	 --
				John A. Dilley, FSD
				Fort Collins,    CO

UUCP:				{ihnp4}! hpfcla!jad
ARPA:				terrapin@Purdue.EDU
PHONE:				(303)226-3800 x4166

jad@hpfcla.UUCP (jad) (07/26/85)

> /***** hpfclo:net.astro / mnetor!fred /  8:27 am  Jul 18, 1985*/
>
> 	WHAT???  This Stardate stuff is astronomical trivia. It's
> like somebody posting multiplication tables on net.math. I gave up
> trying to get anything valuable out of them. It's like watching an
> astronomical Mr. Dress Up, wihtout the entertainment factor.
> 	If Debby, Diane, & Joel are reading this, PLEASE post
> with some meat in it!!! Tell me something new. This stuff is
> BORING!!!
>
> Cheers,		Fred Williams

	You already knew all this stuff, eh?  Well, some of it is old
	hat, but most of it is quite interesting.  I realy enjoy the
	program when I hear it on the radio.  When I miss it, it's nice
	to know I can find it here.  If this is all old hat to you then
	you must really be into astronomy ... in this case, how about if
	you start posting something "with some meat in it" -- I am sure
	I would be equally interested in technical details as I am in
	"astronomical trivia."  Thanks!

				--	jad	 --
				John A. Dilley, FSD
				Fort Collins,    CO

UUCP:				{ihnp4}! hpfcla!jad
ARPA:				terrapin@Purdue.EDU
PHONE:				(303)226-3800 x4166

sunny@sun.uucp (Ms. Sunny Kirsten) (07/31/85)

I'm very interested in your Phase-of-the-Moon and sunrise/sunset software...
please post or mail me a copy.

--
{ucbvax,decvax,ihnp4}!sun!sunny (Ms. Sunny Kirsten)

jad@hpfcla.UUCP (jad) (08/08/85)

> /***** hpfclo:net.astro / sun!sunny /  6:38 pm  Jul 30, 1985*/
> I'm very interested in your Phase-of-the-Moon and sunrise/sunset software...
> please post or mail me a copy.

	I've been mailing copies on requests; there may be problems
	getting mail to me here, though.  Should I post these to
	net.astro?  There seems to be a fair amount of interest.
	Both pieces of software come to just under 50,000 bytes.

				--	jad	 --

PS. Sunny: your copy is in the mail ... should be there before you see this.

jad@hpfcla.UUCP (jad) (08/08/85)

	I didn't want to get into this argument, but here I am.  I don't
	buy astrology, let me start out that way.  But I am just as
	interested in a program that tells me what sign of the zodiac
	something is as I am in what the phase of the moon is.  There's
	no big diff in my mind between the two.  Both of them are for
	fun, really, and don't have any bearing whatsoever on my work.
	That's just it, you see, astrology is for fun -- I'm not betting
	my life on it, and I'm not telling anyone "you should not go out
	side today because you are a scorpio" ... that's bogus.

> /***** hpfclo:net.astro / eagle!mjs /  6:17 am  Jul 29, 1985*/
>
> I'm interested in the calculations, not horoscopes, and if some of you would
> pull your noses off the ceiling, you might discover the usefulness of code
> developed for astrology.  Haven't any of you ever used code from a program
> whose purpose was unrelated to yours, just to save development time?  I try
> to do so whenever possible -- why must we all reinvent the wheel?

	More or less my point, so I thought I'd make you read it again.
	Perhaps I'm not sure what you mean by astrology ... but playing
	around with things is a great (and painless) way to learn; with
	some luck, what you learn will not be all junk ...

/*	my mail header and address	*/
Fruit-of-the-Day: nectarine
Phase-of-the-Moon: Waning Gibbous (59% of Full)
Buzzword-Phrase: balanced monitored options
Sunrise:  6:02		Sunset:  20:11   (MDT)
Latitude: 40.5253	Longitude: 105.0119
--------

				--	jad	 --
				John A. Dilley, FSD
				Fort Collins,    CO

ARPA:				terrapin@Purdue.EDU
UUCP:				{ihnp4}! hpfcla!jad
PHONE:				(303)226-3800 x4166

/* general disclaimer */
HP would be embarassed if they knew I posted this.

jad@hpfcla.UUCP (jad) (08/10/85)

> /***** hpfclo:net.astro / ssc-vax!gml / 11:07 am  Aug  5, 1985*/
> Sidestepping all the astro<log,nom>ical flaming, I too would like to
> see some software here or in another related list, say net.astro.sw.
>
> Anyway, let's stop flaming and just do it.
>
> Gregg Lobdell

	Okay, I'm game.  I think the flames are kinda funny, but don't
	really have time to play with this any more.  I've gotten a
	number of requests, and I'm leaving work Wednesday, and have
	zero time left to repsond to individual requests.  I'll still be
	reachable via my address here, but I'll be living at my Purdue
	address in case you want to get mail to me faster.

	Thanks for the interest in astro s/w; I will post the programs
	in net.sources, so zip over there for your copy...

	Note that you will want to modify sunrise/sunset: hardcode your
	latitude and longitude in and you won't have to type them in the
	command line all the time.  ugh.
	Also, the phase-of-the-moon program is a target in the makefile
	in the today directory.  The today program print out something
	like this (of which potm is a part, obviously):
Today is Friday, the ninth day of August, nineteen eighty-five. The time
is thirteen minutes and eighteen seconds after three PM, Daylight
Savings Time. The Moon is Waning Crescent (39% of Full).

	It should not need any modification ... none that I know of.
	Anyway, un-shar and enjoy!!

				John A. Dilley, FSD
				Fort Collins,    CO

ARPA:				terrapin@Purdue.EDU