[net.astro] StarDate: October 12 The Halo of the Milky Way

dipper@utastro.UUCP (Debbie Byrd) (10/12/85)

Our Milky Way galaxy is surrounded by a halo.  More on what's in the
halo -- when we come back.

October 12  The Halo of the Milky Way

The Milky Way galaxy contains our sun -- and some hundred billion other
stars.  The galaxy is generally shaped like a pancake -- round and flat
-- with a great bulge of stars in its center.

The Milky Way also has a halo -- a thin scattering of stars around the
flat disk of the galaxy.  The halo of the Milky Way contains the
galaxy's oldest stars -- some traveling alone -- some in round, compact
globular star clusters.  Unlike the disk of the galaxy, the halo lacks
the gas and dust that are the raw materials for new stars.

It's thought that the halo of the Milky Way is a fossil remnant
leftover from the formation of the galaxy.  When the Milky Way formed
-- more than 10 billion years ago -- it probably started out as a more
or less round ball of gas, consisting mostly of hydrogen and helium.
The ball began to contract under the influence of its own gravity.  As
it shrank in volume, it fragmented into individual clouds from which
the first stars were born.

The stars that now make up the halo of the galaxy still lie in that
more or less round volume of space surrounding the flat disk of the
galaxy.  Meanwhile, the rest of the galaxy continued to contract -- to
collapse finally into a rotating disk.  Today, most of the galaxy --
including our sun -- lies within this rotating disk.  But the halo of
stars remains outside the disk -- a skeleton left behind from the early
evolution of the galaxy.

Script by Deborah Byrd.

(c) Copyright 1984, 1985 McDonald Observatory, University of Texas at Austin

wmartin@brl-tgr.ARPA (Will Martin ) (10/15/85)

In article <38@utastro.UUCP> dipper@utastro.UUCP (Debbie Byrd) writes:
[Extracts:]

>The Milky Way also has a halo -- a thin scattering of stars around the
>flat disk of the galaxy.  The halo of the Milky Way contains the
>galaxy's oldest stars -- some traveling alone -- some in round, compact
>globular star clusters.  Unlike the disk of the galaxy, the halo lacks
                                                                  ^^^^^
>the gas and dust that are the raw materials for new stars.
>
>The stars that now make up the halo of the galaxy still lie in that
>more or less round volume of space surrounding the flat disk of the
>galaxy.  Meanwhile, the rest of the galaxy continued to contract -- to
>collapse finally into a rotating disk.  Today, most of the galaxy --
                                                ^^^^
>including our sun -- lies within this rotating disk.  But the halo of
>stars remains outside the disk -- a skeleton left behind from the early
>evolution of the galaxy.

I added the "^^^" pointers above. I am in the midst of reading Michael
Disney's THE HIDDEN UNIVERSE, in which the emphasis is on the "missing
mass" problem, and, according to this book, our galaxy, and every other
large galaxy, is surrounded by a quite massive halo of invisible
material -- I think the figure given is that this invisible matter has
to be from 10-20 times the mass of the visible material of the galaxy --
which is necessary to explain the form and stability of the various
galaxies and clusters.

So this would disagree with the points above, wherin the "halo" is not
made up of gas and dust, and also where "most" of the galaxy is defined
as the inside (visible) matter.

So, which is right? Or is this a currently-debated topic in astronomy,
and things are not as clearly agreed-upon as the impression I got from
the Disney book leads me to think?

Will

ethan@utastro.UUCP (Ethan Vishniac) (10/16/85)

> Or is this a currently-debated topic in astronomy,
> and things are not as clearly agreed-upon as the impression I got from
> the Disney book leads me to think?
>
> Will

Bingo.

Actually, the massive halo need only weigh about as much as the visible
galaxy to stabilize the disk.  Virial theorem measurements of galaxy
masses have led people to propose much larger halo masses.  There is
some controversy over exactly how massive the halo needs to be to
explain these results.  If the halo is very massive then it is not
composed of stars.  This leaves open the possibility that it is
composed of black holes or white dwarfs.  It is not likely to be
dust or monotomic gas. Could be molecular hydrogen but its formation
would be a mystery.  Could be Jupiters (i.e. generic gas giant objects).
Could be Weakly Interacting Massive Particles (acronym is widely used).
--
"Superior firepower is an      Ethan Vishniac
 important asset when          {charm,ut-sally,ut-ngp,noao}!utastro!ethan

wls@astrovax.UUCP (William L. Sebok) (10/19/85)

In article <2140@brl-tgr.ARPA> wmartin@brl-bmd.UUCP writes:
>... So this would disagree with the points above, wherin the "halo" is not
>made up of gas and dust, and also where "most" of the galaxy is defined
>as the inside (visible) matter.
>
>So, which is right? Or is this a currently-debated topic in astronomy,
>and things are not as clearly agreed-upon as the impression I got from
>the Disney book leads me to think?

Yes it is a currently debated topic, although I am getting the impression
that a consensus may be forming about the factor of 10 to 20 of
invisible / invisible matter.  A  meeting of the International Astronomical
Union (IAU) was held last June here in Princeton to discuss this subject.

Note that the amount of dark matter around a galaxy or inside a cluster of
galaxies may be a different issue from the amount of dark matter in
inter-galactic space.  There are some theories which have it that the density
inside the "voids" never got high enough to condense galaxies.  These voids
would then be full of ordinary matter that never condensed to galaxies.

To muddy the waters some more, my own feeling is that it may be likely that
there is more than one type of dark matter out there, each type possibly
with its own properties.
--
Bill Sebok			Princeton University, Astrophysics
{allegra,akgua,cbosgd,decvax,ihnp4,noao,philabs,princeton,vax135}!astrovax!wls

grl@charm.UUCP (George Lake) (10/23/85)

Part of the confusion is that the word halo does double duty.
Some astronomers use the word to talk about the tenous outer
reaches of the "bulge", which is the lump you see in the center
of most spiral galaxies.   In this sense "halo" means the oldest
stars that you see far from the center.
"Halo" is also the massive dark halo.  Stardate refered to one
usage, Mike Disney to the other.