[net.astro] Halley's Doomsday

karn@petrus.UUCP (Phil R. Karn) (10/16/85)

The current theme of the Bloom County comic strip (the discovery by
Oliver Wendell Jones that Halley's comet will in fact hit the earth
on April 11, 1986) got me thinking.

The November issue of Scientific American gives the mass of Halley's
Comet as 2e14 kg. Now assuming that the impact velocity would be about
70 km/sec (30 km/sec for the earth's orbital motion + guesstimated 40 km/sec
for the comet, since it is in a retrograde orbit), the released energy
on impact would be about 5e23 J.  A kilogram of TNT releases about 4.6e6J;
a megaton (English ton) about 4.17e15 J.  The collision would therefore
be equivalent to about 100 million megatons, in round numbers.  This
number dwarfs by far even our combined nuclear weapons arsenals.

Here's another way to look at it.  The energy released by the detonation of
1 kg of TNT is enough to accelerate a 1 kg mass to a velocity of 3,033 m/sec
(this is the same as the ideal exhaust velocity were it possible to use TNT
in a rocket engine, and real rocket propellants have similar or even higher
values).  Therefore, a mass traveling at 3 km/s has kinetic energy
equivalent to an equal mass of TNT. Kinetic energy goes up as the square of
velocity, so Halley's comet at a closing velocity of 70 km/s has 544 times
the energy of an equal mass of TNT, and the thing weighs 200 metric
gigatons!

If anyone has more accurate figures (especially the relative orbital
velocities) please let me know. It seems rather unlikely that such a
collision would cause the Earth to plummet into the center of the sun, as
OWJ predicts, but it would still do a pretty effective job on its life
forms. Would anything larger than a microbe survive?

Kind of humbling, isn't it?

Phil

andrew@alberta.UUCP (Andrew Folkins) (10/16/85)

A few months back, I became temporarily obsessed with 100 metre diameter
nickel-iron asteroids.  Calculations similar to those in <646@petrus>
revealed that these (as asteroids go quite) small pieces of rock would
produce megaton-order explosions if one was to hit the Earth. Fortunately,
most of this type of material was swept up several billion years ago, and
the current odds of an impact of this magnitude are something in the
neighbourhood of one every million years. For those of you, like Opus,
who are deeply worried about being killed by Halley's Comet, the closest
approach is (approximate, I haven't got my Sky & Telescope here)
about 30 million miles.

Incidentally, did you know that a 100 metre nickel-iron asteroid would
be worth several billion dollars as ore?  Assuming a density of 8 gm/cm3,
the mass of the asteroid would be approximately 24 million metric tonnes
of possibly fairly pure nickel iron.  This is the approximate equivalent
of 5% of the world's TOTAL output of steel, from just one piddling little
asteroid.  (This doesn't include the gold, platinum, etc. would could
be present as impurities).  Just think - if someone wanted to put a few
nukes to use and try to move an asteroid into Earth orbit, the expedition
could practically pay for itself.  The metal would be even more useful
if used in orbit - how much would it cost to lift that much material
from the surface of the Earth?  (Anyone for a discussion of the relative
merits of asteroids vs. lunar material for orbital construction?)

--
Andrew Folkins        ...ihnp4!alberta!andrew

"Any statements to the effect that this parrot is still a going concern
 are hereby considered inoperative!"

chongo@nsc.UUCP (Landon Noll) (10/31/85)

In article <646@petrus.UUCP> karn@petrus.UUCP (Phil R. Karn) writes:
 >The current theme of the Bloom County comic strip (the discovery by
 >Oliver Wendell Jones that Halley's comet will in fact hit the earth
 >on April 11, 1986) got me thinking.

The strange thing about the comic strip was that the co-ords of impact given
in the Sunday strip showed that it would hit about 300 miles due East of
Yokohama Japan.  Later strips showed an 'X' within Bloom County.

What does this all mean?  Is O.W.Jones changing his story?

chongo <> /\../\

ayers@convexs.UUCP (11/01/85)

>The strange thing about the comic strip was that the co-ords of impact given
>in the Sunday strip showed that it would hit about 300 miles due East of
>Yokohama Japan.  Later strips showed an 'X' within Bloom County.
>What does this all mean?  Is O.W.Jones changing his story?

What this means is that "Bloom County" is larger than you thought...