[net.astro] Billy Meyers

jpj@mss.UUCP (J. P. Jenal) (12/01/85)

Greetings - I admit this is pretty bizarre but what the heck...  As I sit
here typing this I am listening to a radio talk show (on KABC radio in LA)
that is discussing a story about an ET contact between a man named Billy
Meyers (spelling unknown) and a group of "female astronauts from the
Pleiades."  Apparently this guy lives in Switzerland and since sometime in
the late 70's has been making fairly consistent contact with these "folks."
According to the story, the Pleiadians (???) can make the trip in about 7
minutes (why not???) and there is supposed to be hundreds of photographes
to back all of this up.

Question - do any of you know anything about this?  I apologize if this is
old news but I would be interested in hearing anything anyone knows about
it.  Please, no flames.  I'm not saying that I buy any of this - I would
just like to hear more details if anyone has them.  Please reply to me and
if there is sufficient interest I will summarize to the net.

Cheers...

	Jim Jenal		(aka ...!scgvaxd!mss!jpj)
	Mayfield Senior School	( "  ...!ihnp4!mss!jpj)

ethan@utastro.UUCP (Ethan Vishniac) (12/04/85)

As far as stories about close encounters go I`m about as skeptical
as one can get.  If you're interested in finding out more about
such stories (I've heard nothing about this particular one) you
might locate a copy of the magazine "Skeptical Enquirer" and
check the last few issues.  It will give you references to
organizations (skeptical and credulous) that look into such things.

A brief word of warning, there is one (I think it's called CUFOS) headed
by J Allen Hynek, an astronomer, that has a very poor track record in
recent years, having been taken in by some elementary frauds.
--
"Superior firepower is an      Ethan Vishniac
 important asset when          {charm,ut-sally,ut-ngp,noao}!utastro!ethan

sunny@l5.uucp (Sunny Kirsten) (12/04/85)

You will find confirmation of Extra-Terrestial Contact from the Women of the
Plieades, in Shirley MacLaine's book:  "Out On a Limb".  This book is highly
recommended reading.
			Sunny
--
...!{sun,ptsfa,well,lll-crg,ucsfcgl,nsc}!l5!sunny	(Sunny Kirsten)

fbr@utastro.UUCP (Frank Ray) (12/05/85)

There was this woman in a bar called Michael-Michael who tried to
pick me up.  She was DEFINITELY from outer space....

fbr

davet@oakhill.UUCP (Dave Trissel) (12/05/85)

In article <82@mss.UUCP> jpj@mss.UUCP (J. P. Jenal) writes:
>that is discussing a story about an ET contact between a man named Billy
>Meyers (spelling unknown) and a group of "female astronauts from the
>Pleiades."  Apparently this guy lives in Switzerland and since sometime in
>the late 70's has been making fairly consistent contact with these "folks."
>According to the story, the Pleiadians (???) can make the trip in about 7
>minutes (why not???) and there is supposed to be hundreds of photographes
>to back all of this up.

By coincidence I met somebody two weeks ago who showed me a book from the
guy's organization (two books actually.)  It was chock full of UFO photos.
Unfortunately, I had to point out to the person that several of the photos
were obvious hoaxes.

Evidently there is a lot of misty days in Switzerland.  Unfortunately, several
UFOs which should have been at a distance from the camera stand out in sharp
detail while misty trees supposedly at the same distance as the craft are
hardly visible.  Obviously the craft was a model which was actually much
closer to the camera than what was claimed by the observers taking the photos.

In another couple of pictures the focus was a dead giveaway.  The UFO model
was held so close to the camera (to make it look big I presume) that it was
entirely out of focus.

To be fair, the majority of the pictures did not show such obvious flaws.  But
I would suspect that a good photographer could have spotted many more defects.

When the person said that they still thought the photos were real I suggested
that he ask any good photographer to examine them and he would see the same
conclusions drawn.  Then the person said "well I like to think that they're
true."  End of conversation.

  -- Dave Trissel  {seismo,ihnp4}!ut-sally!oakhill!davet

gnu@l5.uucp (John Gilmore) (12/05/85)

[Photo folks check out net.rumor on this, it's a short discussion.]

CoEvolution Quarterly (now the Whole Earth Review) had a cover
story on how easy it is to fake photos these days.  It was within
the last year, maybe the summer issue.  There is commercial image
processing equipment that digitizes photos and does interactive
"paint program" stuff, matting, etc in high resolution, then prints
them (to film).  The cover showed flying saucers flying near
the Transamerica building in North Beach, SF; inside the article
were many "before and after" pictures, like the National Geographic
cover where they moved the pyramid over to make it fit.

Truly amazing -- don't believe ANY photo these days.  Technology has
come a long way since Playboy's 1950s airbrushes...

rjnoe@riccb.UUCP (Roger J. Noe) (12/06/85)

> You will find confirmation of Extra-Terrestial Contact from the Women of the
> Plieades, in Shirley MacLaine's book:  "Out On a Limb".
> --
> ...!{sun,ptsfa,well,lll-crg,ucsfcgl,nsc}!l5!sunny	(Sunny Kirsten)

Is that MacLaine's sequel to her earlier book, "Off Of a Rocker"? :-) :-)
--
"It's only by NOT taking the human race seriously that I retain what
 fragments of my once considerable mental powers I still possess!"