[net.astro] Question about Sirius

barnes@infinet.UUCP (Jim Barnes) (12/09/85)

***

In the Boston Globe today (December 9) there is an article about
the dog star Sirius.  Sirius today is visible as a blue-white star
but this article refers to historical accounts that refer to Sirius
as a red star.  The speculation (theory?) presented in the article is
that the white dwarf companion star of the visible blue-white star
was a red giant in the recent past.  The question posed is whether a
red giant star could collapse to a white dwarf star in 1500 years
or so.  This seems to be much faster than what the current theory
of stellar evolution would allow.

Does anyone in net land have more information on this?  Anyone
with opinions on whether the collapse of a red giant to white
dwarf is possible in such a short time?

--
-------------------------

decvax!{cca!emacs,wanginst}!infinet!barnes 		Jim Barnes

andrew@cadomin.UUCP (Andrew Folkins) (12/13/85)

In article <283@infinet.UUCP> barnes@infinet.UUCP (Jim Barnes) writes:
>***
>
>In the Boston Globe today (December 9) there is an article about
>the dog star Sirius.  Sirius today is visible as a blue-white star
>but this article refers to historical accounts that refer to Sirius
>as a red star.  The speculation (theory?) presented in the article is
>that the white dwarf companion star of the visible blue-white star
>was a red giant in the recent past.  The question posed is whether a
>red giant star could collapse to a white dwarf star in 1500 years
>or so.  This seems to be much faster than what the current theory
>of stellar evolution would allow.
>
>Does anyone in net land have more information on this?  Anyone
>with opinions on whether the collapse of a red giant to white
>dwarf is possible in such a short time?

I also have heard this theory.  It seems to be corroborated by historical
references from Sumerian, Egyptian and (I think) Greek writings from several
hundred years BC.  The references describe Sirius as red, and brighter than
it is today, visible even in the daytime (!!).

However, according to present astrophysical theories, there doesn't seem
to be a way for a red giant to collapse into a white dwarf this quickly
( < 2000 years).  The accepted view is that the red giant sheds it's
outer layers, forming a planetary nebula and leaving it's core behind as
a white dwarf. Two thousand years later, such a nebula would be easily
detectable.  IRAS detected an infrared excess from Sirius, implying the
existance of material of some kind around the star, but this is not what a
planetary nebula would look like.

One test that can be performed is determing the surface temperature of the
dwarf star (I believe that this has been done, but I don't know the temperature
obtained).  The hotter the dwarf, the younger it is.  If Sirius' companion
is *very* hot, then it would be possible that it is young enough.

From an astrophysical standpoint, an easier explanation is that the
ancient observations were in error, and that Sirius was seen as red due
to atmospheric effects : if the star were lower in the sky then (something
I'd have to check on), then it would appear redder (the same way the
setting sun appears red).  The problem is, I don't know if Sirius would
be that low.  On the equator today, it rises to about seventy degrees
above the horizon.  For the atmospheric effects described above, the star
would have to be less than ten, *at maximum*, otherwise it would appear
as it does today.

--
Andrew Folkins        ...ihnp4!alberta!andrew

All ideas in this message are fictional.  Any resemblance, to any idea,
living or dead, is purely coincidental.

In article <283@infinet.UUCP> barnes@infinet.UUCP (Jim Barnes) writes:
>***
>
>In the Boston Globe today (December 9) there is an article about
>the dog star Sirius.  Sirius today is visible as a blue-white star
>but this article refers to historical accounts that refer to Sirius
>as a red star.  The speculation (theory?) presented in the article is
>that the white dwarf companion star of the visible blue-white star
>was a red giant in the recent past.  The question posed is whether a
>red giant star could collapse to a white dwarf star in 1500 years
>or so.  This seems to be much faster than what the current theory
>of stellar evolution would allow.

        Well, not by ordinary, simple collapse, but a supernove would
do it, assuming that some types of supernovas do not result in a
neutron star. There is in fact quite a problem with the dwarf
companion. According to standard stellar theory the lifetime of a star
is *inversely* proportional to its mass. That is in order for the
dwarf companion to have "died" before the currently visible member
even left the main sequence it must have been enormously more massive
than Sirius prime. It is now *less* massive. This certainly implies
something like a supernova, yet there is *no* trace of a supernova
remnant, nor of a planetary nebula, nor of any other sort of expelled
mass around Sirius. Also, a supernova that close would have all sorts
of bad side effects here on Earth, it would actually be brighter than
the Sun for months! And then there would be some really heavy radiation.
Yet a star as light as the current dwarf companion could *not* have
evolved into its current state that quickly, certainly not before the
more massive visible component achieved the same state. So the
question is even more puzzling. How could this configuration even come
about? At least unless it has been this way for enough millions of
years that the expelled mass has been dispursed. Anyone have a more
definitive answer??

--

                                Sarima (Stanley Friesen)

ARPA: ttidca!psivax!friesen@rand-unix.arpa

jeff@utastro.UUCP (Jeff Brown the Scumbag) (12/15/85)

> >In the Boston Globe today (December 9) there is an article about
> >the dog star Sirius.  Sirius today is visible as a blue-white star
> >but this article refers to historical accounts that refer to Sirius
> >as a red star.  The speculation (theory?) presented in the article is
> >that the white dwarf companion star of the visible blue-white star
> >was a red giant in the recent past.
> >
> 	Well, not by ordinary, simple collapse, but a supernove would
> do it, assuming that some types of supernovas do not result in a
> neutron star. There is in fact quite a problem with the dwarf
> companion. According to standard stellar theory the lifetime of a star
> is *inversely* proportional to its mass. That is in order for the
> dwarf companion to have "died" before the currently visible member
> even left the main sequence it must have been enormously more massive
> than Sirius prime. It is now *less* massive. This certainly implies
> something like a supernova, yet there is *no* trace of a supernova
> remnant, nor of a planetary nebula, nor of any other sort of expelled
> mass around Sirius.

That Sirius B is now less massive than Sirius A is not that unusual;
there are lots of systems out there with the more massive member of a
pair being the less evolved.  The problem is, as mentioned above, that
the more massive a star is, the faster its evolution.  This is known
as the "Algol paradox" since Algol (another famous binary star) has the
same kind of trouble.  The way out is that the (now) less massive star was
more massive and has lost a lot of mass, possibly (maybe even probably)
dumping matter on the (now) more (but then less) massive star.  There
isn't much doubt that this kind of thing happens quite frequently, though
the details of binary star evolution are not all that well understood.
(Give us time, we're working on it.)

The problem with the Sirius system, to my mind, lies in the assumption
that something has happened to it in historical times.  I have no
objection to the assertion that Sirius B was once more massive than it
is now and subsequently became a red giant en route to a white dwarf; I
object strongly to the suggestion that it was a red giant as little as
2000 years ago.  (Incidentally, that Sirius B is a white dwarf indicates
that it did *not* supernova; supernovae don't leave white dwarfs behind.
Also, you're right that a supernova that close to us would be Very Bad
News Indeed.)

Red giants at the end of their red-giant-hood are thought to shed
considerable mass in the form of a planetary nebula, with what they don't
lose ending up as a white dwarf once the nebula dissipates.  The planetary
nebula phase doesn't last long (astronomically!).  So, if you drop the
requirement that things have happened in the last 2000 years, there's
plenty of time for the red-giant-to-become-Sirius B to make a planetary,
become a nice white dwarf, and then drift to within a few parsecs of Sol
for us to see it, without appealing to anything exotic, and with all the
nebula nicely dissipated into the general interstellar medium.

I think most astrophysicists would agree with me that it would take a lot
more evidence than what we have to make us think it possible that the Sirius
system has undergone a real change in color in recent history.  There *are*
stars which do undergo impressive changes in color and brightness in times
that short.  We know enough about them and about Sirius to know that Sirius
is not one of them.  Until a detailed study of many historical documents
from several cultures indicates otherwise (and such a study has not yet
appeared) I feel justified in saying the burden of proof lies still with the
historians.

Jeff Brown the Scumbag
		{allegra,ihnp4}!{noao,ut-sally}!utastro!jeff
		jeff@astro.UTEXAS.EDU
Astronomy Department, U. of Texas, Austin

wyatt@cfa.UUCP (Bill Wyatt) (12/16/85)

> > >...  Sirius today is visible as a blue-white star
> > >but this article refers to historical accounts that refer to Sirius
> > >as a red star.  The speculation (theory?) presented in the article is
> > >that the white dwarf companion star of the visible blue-white star
> > >was a red giant in the recent past.
> > >

> That Sirius B is now less massive than Sirius A is not that unusual;
> The problem with the Sirius system, to my mind, lies in the assumption
> that something has happened to it in historical times. ...
> ...  Until a detailed study of many historical documents
> from several cultures indicates otherwise (and such a study has not yet
> appeared) I feel justified in saying the burden of proof lies still with the
> historians.
>
> Jeff Brown the Scumbag
> Astronomy Department, U. of Texas, Austin

I completely agree with everything Jeff said, but there may be one
(apparent) way a star changes color - by rising from the horizon.

The ancient Egyptians identified the start of summer as the first time
Sirius was visible rising in the dawn sky. I believe this was near the
summer solstice, and is also where we get the term "dog days" [i.e. hot
summer days. We don't see it that early anymore, because of ~4000
years of precession (Thuban, in Draco was the pole star back then).

The point is that a star on the horizon will be red (and twinkling like
mad), just as the sun reddens at sunrise and sunset. In a
dusty climate, the reddening would also be enhanced. My speculation is
that the reference to Sirius as a red star refers to its appearance just
as it rises, which is when the ancient Egyptians would have been most
interested in it.

Bill Wyatt
--
Bill    UUCP:  {harvard,genrad,allegra,ihnp4}!wjh12!cfa!wyatt
Wyatt   ARPA:  wyatt%cfa.UUCP@harvard.ARPA

Thank-you for your response, it has cleared things up considerably.

In article <174@utastro.UUCP> jeff@utastro.UUCP (Jeff Brown the Scumbag) writes:

>>      Well, not by ordinary, simple collapse, but a supernove would
>> do it, assuming that some types of supernovas do not result in a
>> neutron star.
>
>That Sirius B is now less massive than Sirius A is not that unusual;
>  The problem is, as mentioned above, that
>the more massive a star is, the faster its evolution.  This is known
>as the "Algol paradox" since Algol (another famous binary star) has the
>same kind of trouble.  The way out is that the (now) less massive star was
>more massive and has lost a lot of mass, possibly (maybe even probably)
>dumping matter on the (now) more (but then less) massive star.

        I had heard of this phenomenon but I was unsure whether the
Sirius system was a close enough binary for this kind of mass exchange
to occur. Then as you mention below there is the mass loss to
planetary nebulae, which would still be visible if Sirius B had been a
red giant in historical times. Certainly we both agree that if Sirius B
*had* been a red giant in historical times there would still be easily
observed remnants of that condition in the Sirius system.

>  I have no
>objection to the assertion that Sirius B was once more massive than it
>is now and subsequently became a red giant en route to a white dwarf; I
>object strongly to the suggestion that it was a red giant as little as
>2000 years ago.  (Incidentally, that Sirius B is a white dwarf indicates
>that it did *not* supernova; supernovae don't leave white dwarfs behind.
>Also, you're right that a supernova that close to us would be Very Bad
>News Indeed.)

        I know that *one* type of supernova leaves a neutron star, but
I believe there are at least *three* different types of supernova,
each with a significantly different mechanism. So is it really
established that *none* of the types of supernova could possibly leave
a white dwarf ?? (Note: my main recent source is the article in
Scientific American a few months ago - I may have to reread the
article to refresh my memory on the different types of supernova)

>I think most astrophysicists would agree with me that it would take a lot
>more evidence than what we have to make us think it possible that the Sirius
>system has undergone a real change in color in recent history.

        To say the least, given the absence of any observable anomaly
in the system other than the Algol Paradox!
--

msb@lsuc.UUCP (Mark Brader) (12/19/85)

Jim Barnes (barnes@infinet.UUCP) writes:
> In the Boston Globe today (December 9) there is an article about
> the dog star Sirius.  Sirius today is visible as a blue-white star
> but this article refers to historical accounts that refer to Sirius
> as a red star.  The speculation (theory?) presented in the article is
> that the white dwarf companion star of the visible blue-white star
> was a red giant in the recent past.  The question posed is whether a
> red giant star could collapse to a white dwarf star in 1500 years
> or so.  This seems to be much faster than what the current theory
> of stellar evolution would allow.

This matter is discussed by Isaac Asimov in the essay "Siriusly Speaking",
which can be found in the collection "The Sun Shines Bright".  The book is
dated about 1982 (plus or minus 2) and should be easily findable**.  I don't
have a copy at hand so I'll just very briefly summarize what I remember.

The conclusion is that the historical references are not good evidence.
Some appear to be metaphorical.  One important one is from ancient Egypt,
where the heliacal rising of Sirius (i.e. the first day it was visible at
dawn) happened to synchronize with the Nile's annual flood and formed the
basis for the calendar; here the crucial thing is that Sirius was most
important to the Egyptians on that particular day, and *when rising*,
*any* object is reddened.  So Sirius was red *when it mattered*.

Sirius B could not have gone supernova in historical times, because there
is no supernova remnant (like the Crab Nebula).  Nor, as was said, does
current theory allow for a red giant to turn dwarf in such a short time.
Conclusion: the historical accounts are misleading.

Now the question is: since I read all this in a book that was at least
a year or two old (it was in paperback already), *and* since the alleged
redness is reasonably accounted for ... what is the Boston Globe doing
printing this in December of this year?

Meanwhile, Stanley Friesen (friesen@psivax.UUCP) writes:

> ... According to standard stellar theory the lifetime of a star
> is *inversely* proportional to its mass. That is in order for the
> dwarf companion to have "died" before the currently visible member
> even left the main sequence it must have been enormously more massive
> than Sirius prime. It is now *less* massive. This certainly implies
> something like a supernova ...

Well, no it doesn't.  I remember a Scientific American article some
years ago that explained this phenomenon.  It was probably on double stars
in general.  Say B was originally more massive.  Then it becomes a red
giant first.  It gets so big that some of its mass spills over into A.
Because the activity that makes it a red giant is still going on, this
keeps happening for a while.  After it has happened, A is more massive,
turns blue, starts evolving faster than it was, and is therefore
really older than it looks.  (I don't think that "inversely proportional"
should be taken literally, by the way.)

I don't know the separation between Sirius A and B, and I don't have
a reference.  Any of the experts want to correct or confirm this?

Mark Brader
**The essays were originally in his science column in the Magazine of
  Fantasy and Science Fiction, but don't look up the original appearance,
  because the material was updated for book publication.