[net.misc] Mail-order t-shirts

riddle@ut-sally.UUCP (Prentiss Riddle) (12/04/84)

Just in case any of you are interested:  the other day I received a catalog in
the mail from an outfit called "Softwear Unlimited", purveyors of, in their
own modest estimation, "the world's largest collection of scientific-technical-
humorous t-shirts."  While some of the shirts were dreadfully corny, others
were worth a chuckle or two.  A few more or less random samples:

	-- Reunite Gondwanaland!
	-- Support Darwinian evolution: destroy a weakling today (with illo
	   of Charles himself swatting a fly)
	-- Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens. (Schiller)
	-- I have the {hardware,software} if you have the {software,hardware}.
	-- 186,000 miles per second is not only a good idea, it's the law.
	-- This sentense contains threee errors.
	-- The Doppler Effect (blue on the front, red on the back)
	-- International Stop Continental Drift Society (with official logo)
	-- Have you thanked a plant today?
	   6CO[2] + 6H[2]O => C[6]H[12]O[6] + 6O[2]
	-- NOTICE: Approved for storage of flammable solvents

In addition to the jokes, many of the shirts sport scientific or pseudo-
scientific illustrations which I can't reproduce here:  Pangaea, Mozart's
palindromic and invertible canon, a trilobite, cut-away diagram of the sun,
visual paradoxes, the classic algebraic proof that 2 == 1, various dinosaurs,
geological diagrams of Mt. St. Helens and the Grand Canyon, etc.

If any of this looks interesting to you, the catalog is free from:  Softwear
Unlimited, Rt. 2, Box 444, Twisp, WA 98856.  Their prices are slightly high,
but I thought the catalog was worth a thirteen cent stamp.

[Customary disclaimer: I am in no way connected with Softwear Unlimited.  I'm
just sharing information with other junk mail junkies.]

--- Prentiss Riddle ("Aprendiz de todo, maestro de nada.")
--- {ihnp4,harvard,seismo,gatech,ctvax}!ut-sally!riddle

ken@rochester.UUCP (Ken Yap) (12/04/84)

In article <370@ut-sally.UUCP> riddle@ut-sally.UUCP (Prentiss Riddle) writes:
>...catalog in
>the mail from an outfit called "Softwear Unlimited", purveyors of, in their
>own modest estimation, "the world's largest collection of scientific-technical-
>humorous t-shirts."
>	-- This sentense contains threee errors.

This is a great double-take sentence. Anybody else know others?
E-mail to me and I will summarize if I get interesting entries.

PS: If you don't get it immediately, think about what the third error is.
--
	Ken Yap

	UUCP:	(..!{allegra, decvax, seismo}!rochester!ken)
	ARPA:	ken@rochester.arpa
	USnail:	Ken Yap, Dept. of Comp. Sci., U. of Rochester, NY 14627.