[net.astro] Challenger

ivy@aicchi.UUCP (Iverson) (01/28/86)

The television news couldn't possibly be kidding about the detonation of
space shuttle Challenger and loss of all 7 aboard ... could they?

One solid fueled engine clearly flew on by itself. They filmed that.
Two contrails extended from the fireball. Did both boosters fly on?

What in the main fuel tank could burn white? Hydrogen burns blue. Did
the camara saturate with the brightness?

Does anybody on the .net have more information than network television?

john@gcc-milo.ARPA (John Allred) (01/30/86)

In article <663@aicchi.UUCP> ivy@aicchi.UUCP (Iverson) writes:

>One solid fueled engine clearly flew on by itself. They filmed that.
>Two contrails extended from the fireball. Did both boosters fly on?

Yes, both flew on.  Range Safety had to destroy them, since they were headed
toward a populated area.  This is unfortunate: had the boosters survived, they
might have given some clues as to why the orbiter/external tank blew up.
--
John Allred
General Computer Company

peterb@pbear.UUCP (01/31/86)

When you burn Oxygen and Hydrogen, the product is water. At those
altitudes, the resultant is a large cloud (since an estamate of 15000
gallons of O2 was left at that point would make a BIG cloud).

Peter Barada
ihnp4!ima!pbear!peterb

dusty@amiga.UUCP (Dusty [snake] Bleher) (01/31/86)

In article <663@aicchi.UUCP> ivy@aicchi.UUCP (Iverson) writes:
>The television news couldn't possibly be kidding about the detonation of
>space shuttle Challenger and loss of all 7 aboard ... could they?
..regretfully true!

>One solid fueled engine clearly flew on by itself. They filmed that.
>Two contrails extended from the fireball. Did both boosters fly on?
..yes, until destroyed by the RSO about 20 seconds later

>What in the main fuel tank could burn white? Hydrogen burns blue. Did
>the camara saturate with the brightness?
..Correct, in an "air" environment H2 burns with a nearly colorless flame.
However combined with high quantity/quality O2, it releases a great deal
of energy, and being a (nearly) "perfect fuel" its only combustion by
products are, humble water vapor (2 H + 1 O = H2O).  When the effects of
decompression cooling, altitude, and a handful of other factors are
accounted for, we're left with perhaps...ice crystals.

>Does anybody on the .net have more information than network television?

Dusty