[net.astro] Halley's Comet Question

metz@troll.DEC (02/28/86)

I am somewhat confused on Halley's reappearance. I watched as it became
lower in the evening sky and eventually disappeared behind the sun. I
also understand that it will now be a morning object. What I need help
with is how it will again become an evening object without circling to
the other side of the sun again. Is this due to it orbit crossing earth's
to the other side or what? Please clearify.
Thanks.

anita@utastro.UUCP (Anita Cochran) (03/04/86)

In article <1428@decwrl.DEC.COM>, metz@troll.DEC writes:

> I am somewhat confused on Halley's reappearance. I watched as it became
> lower in the evening sky and eventually disappeared behind the sun. I
> also understand that it will now be a morning object. What I need help
> with is how it will again become an evening object without circling to
> the other side of the sun again. Is this due to it orbit crossing earth's
> to the other side or what? Please clearify.
> Thanks.

Comet Halley is in an elliptical orbit around the sun but travels
in the reverse direction around the sun that the earth does.  Thus, as
the comet recedes from the sun it passes us as we are heading back where
it came from (except that our orbit is nearly circular so we don't get
in as close to the sun as Halley does).  It is also closer to the sun than
the earth until the end of march.  When it comes closest to the earth
in early April, it will actual be up in the middle of the night but
because it is so far south, most people in the Northern hemisphere
won't see it well, if at all.  Halley will switch from a morning object
to an evening object by being a night time object.  This is actually
true of most stars, etc due to the revolution of the earth around the
sun.  Halley just does it faster since it too is moving.
--
 Anita Cochran  uucp:  {noao, ut-sally, ut-ngp}!utastro!anita
                arpa:  anita@astro.UTEXAS.EDU