[net.astro] StarDate: March 2 Predawn Stargazing

dipper@utastro.UUCP (Debbie Byrd) (03/02/86)

There's plenty to see in the predawn sky.  We'll tell you about it --
after this.

March 2  Predawn Stargazing

Tomorrow morning before the sun comes up, you can see two planets and a
bright star near Earth's companion moon.  The planets are Saturn and
Mars -- and the star is Antares, in the constellation Scorpius.  All
three are very nearly the same brightness.  To tell them apart, you
might look for the object which twinkles most -- that'll be the star.
To tell Mars from Saturn, look at their colors.  Mars is red.  Saturn
appears more golden.

If you looked at these objects with a telescope, you might like Saturn
best of all.  A telescope shows Saturn as a golden ball encircled by a
ring -- or if your telescope is large enough, and if the night is clear
and still enough, by two rings.  The apparent gap in the rings of
Saturn is called Cassini's Division -- and it's actually about as wide
as our Atlantic Ocean!  What's more, it's not really a gap.  Passing
spacecraft have shown thin ringlets inside Cassini's Division --
they've also shown that what are seen in earthbound telescopes as two
rings around Saturn are really hundreds of ringlets.

So that's Saturn, Mars and the star Antares -- near the moon Monday
morning.  And by the way there's another solar system object in the
predawn sky now -- Comet Halley -- back from its travels behind the
sun.  The comet is now low in the southeast before dawn -- and still
best seen from a country location.  Moonlight may interfere with the
view in the morning -- but the moon is now waning -- and the best time
to see Halley is nearly upon us.  Stay tuned.

Script by Deborah Byrd.
(c) Copyright 1985, 1986 McDonald Observatory, University of Texas at Austin

dann@bmcg.UUCP (Dann McCreary) (03/04/86)

In article <450@utastro.UUCP> dipper@utastro.UUCP (Debbie Byrd) writes:

>So that's Saturn, Mars and the star Antares -- near the moon Monday
>morning.  And by the way there's another solar system object in the
>predawn sky now -- Comet Halley -- back from its travels behind the
>sun.  The comet is now low in the southeast before dawn -- and still
>best seen from a country location.  Moonlight may interfere with the
>view in the morning -- but the moon is now waning -- and the best time
>to see Halley is nearly upon us.  Stay tuned.

I guess it's time for a comet viewing report from Escondido, CA.

I have been out to see Halley's three times now since it came around the
sun.  Based on predictions, I waited until February 22nd, and then went
out only with my 7x35 binoculars... and was sorry I hadn't been out days
sooner!  We probably have a better view than many in the US due to our
relatively southern lattitude, and I found the comet quite readily by
scanning the horizon just south of where the sun comes up, @ 5 AM.  The
comet shows a greatly expanded tail compared to when I last saw it early
in February, and I think I could make out a division between the gas and
dust tails.  I estimated a visual magnitude of about 3, based on a comparison
with a nearby star.  The tail extends upward and to the right, away from
the rising sun.

I was able to track it well into the dawn, until @ 5:55 AM, just using my
binoculars.  The next morning I brought my 12.5" Dobsonian style telescope
out, along with a bunch of (sleepy - eyed) friends, and we had a good view
again.  The full moon that morning did, however, interfere somewhat, making it
difficult to see the detail I would have liked.  I followed the comet by scope
until about 6:10 that morning.  Several in the group got good pictures using
ASA 1600 color film and exposures @ 30 seconds long.

Inclement weather set in, and I was not able to get out again for over a
week until this morning.  The waning moon, just less than half, was as Debbie
so nicely described above, and really did not interfere too much with the
comet visibility.  My magnitude estimate is about the same (3), but since
the comet rose earlier (@ 4:20 - 4:30) it was higher above the horizon when
I got there, and I spotted it very readily with the naked eye, and I could
clearly see the tail with the naked eye!  It looked quite fine through
7x35 binoculars.

To sum up, I have high hopes for some really excellent viewing beginning
this weekend.  I have a feeling that Comet Halley is about to make up for
some of the bad press it got earlier in its visit.  To be sure, some viewers
who are jaded by Hollywood-proportioned overbloated expectations may still
be disappointed: however, the one who makes the effort to rise early and
watch for the comet with an open mind and heart is sure to be most richly
rewarded.

"The heavens are telling of the glory of God;  And their expanse is declaring
the work of His hands." - David, Psalm 19:1

By the way, I think that Sunday morning, the 9th, may offer quite a lovely
show - the comet in the sky along with a nearly-new crescent moon.  I'm
prepared to be impressed!  I'd recommend that you be out there no later than
4 AM, and you may even see the comet tail rising in the dark pre-dawn sky
before you see the nucleus.  I'll be interested in hearing reports from other
viewers.

--
				   /
Dann McCreary	      Burroughs	===/=== Corporation

dann@bmcg.UUCP (Dann McCreary) (03/05/86)

In article <2060@bmcg.UUCP> dann@bmcg.UUCP (Dann McCreary) writes:

>By the way, I think that Sunday morning, the 9th, may offer quite a lovely
>show - the comet in the sky along with a nearly-new crescent moon.  I'm
>prepared to be impressed!  I'd recommend that you be out there no later than
>4 AM, and you may even see the comet tail rising in the dark pre-dawn sky
>before you see the nucleus.  I'll be interested in hearing reports from other
>viewers.

After checking moon rise times in the almanac, I think that maybe *Saturday*
morning, the 8th, may be better for a moon/comet combination view.  On Sunday,
the moon will be rising about the same time as the sun, and that means that
the comet will already be a ways up in the sky.

If you can, I suggest you at least peek out early in the morning each day this
week, and that way you will have a much better feel for the moon and the
comet as they progress across the sky.

--
				   /

canopus@amdahl.UUCP (Alpha Carinae) (03/11/86)

In article <2062@bmcg.UUCP>, dann@bmcg.UUCP (Dann McCreary) writes:
> In article <2060@bmcg.UUCP> dann@bmcg.UUCP (Dann McCreary) writes:
> >
> >By the way, I think that Sunday morning, the 9th, may offer quite a lovely
> >show - the comet in the sky along with a nearly-new crescent moon. (...)
> >I'll be interested in hearing reports from (...) viewers. other
> >
> After checking moon rise times in the almanac, I think that maybe *Saturday*
> morning, the 8th, may be better for a moon/comet combination view. (...)

I was very fortunate to be in Death Valley over the weekend of March 8-9,
and obtained a very impressive view of Halley from Furnace Creek.  Could
not see the comet Saturday AM due to cloud cover, but Sunday the 9th was
crystal clear.  My impression:  it was easily visible to my near-sighted
eyes without my glasses; it looked slightly brighter than 3rd magnitude.
Naked eye, the tail appeared to be 1.5 to 2 degrees in length.  It was at
its best at 4:30 AM.

By far the best view was through my 7x50 binoculars; literally stunning!
The tail stretched easily over 5.5 to 6 degrees.  The shape of the tail
and coma was reminiscent of its shape as seen in photos taken in 1910,
though much more spectacular, since tail structure tends to get "burned
out" in long exposure photography.

I had wanted to get some photos myself, but I had made a fatal error:
I set up too close to the Texas Springs campground, and word got out that
I had a scope set up, and was looking at the comet.  Literally within
minutes I was mobbed by about 3 dozen people, all anxious and eager to
see and hear about this celestial marvel.  So I (sigh) opted for an
impromptu pre-dawn talk and show of the comet over my plans to photograph
it.

Anyone else have interesting observations?
--
Frank Dibbell     (408-746-6493)     ...!{ihnp4,cbosgd,sun}!amdahl!canopus
Amdahl Corporation, Sunnyvale CA     [This is the obligatory disclaimer..]