[net.astro] StarDate: March 14 A Toast to Einstein

dipper@utastro.UUCP (Debbie Byrd) (03/14/86)

Today we celebrate the birthday of Albert Einstein -- the first person
to suggest that space can be curved.  More -- after this.

March 14  A Toast to Einstein

We celebrate a great anniversary today -- the anniversary of the birth
of Albert Einstein.

More than any other scientist, Einstein changed our modern picture of
the universe.  Before him, it was thought that outer space -- existed
independently of the material universe.  It was thought that space had
always been there, even before the birth of stars and galaxies.

Einstein's theory of relativity changed this view.  Relativity theory
describes the universe of space and matter as a whole -- an
interlocking unit.  In our understanding of the universe, space did not
exist before the Big Bang in which the universe is thought to have been
born.  The structure of space can change, said Einstein.  It can
expand, as the universe expands.  Or it can curve in bizarre and
incredible ways, as in the area around a black hole.

Einstein was born on March 14, 1879.  He was educated first in Germany,
then in Switzerland.  In 1902, he found work in a mid-level Swiss
government job -- a patent office.  The job gave him money to live on
-- and free time to work in physics.  He published his special theory
of relativity in 1905.  That's the one that deals with the
interconnectedness of space and time.  In 1915, he published the
general theory of relativity, which describes the nature of space
itself.

Before his death in 1955, Einstein had become famous as one of the
world's great scientists, whose originality changed the way we perceive
the universe.

Script by Deborah Byrd.
(c) Copyright 1985, 1986 McDonald Observatory, University of Texas at Austin

gsmith@brahms.BERKELEY.EDU (Gene Ward Smith) (03/15/86)

In article <508@utastro.UUCP> dipper@utastro.UUCP (Debbie Byrd) writes:

>Today we celebrate the birthday of Albert Einstein -- the first person
>to suggest that space can be curved.  More -- after this.

   I think this was Gauss, Debbie. Einstein suggested that space-time was
curved, which is not the same thing. Am I the only one who finds the tripe
emanating from "StarDate" to be often annoying?

ucbvax!brahms!gsmith    Gene Ward Smith/UCB Math Dept/Berkeley CA 94720
        Fifty flippant frogs / Walked by on flippered feet
    And with their slime they made the time / Unnaturally fleet.

gsmith@brahms.BERKELEY.EDU (Gene Ward Smith) (03/17/86)

In article <1078@vrdxhq.UUCP> mws@vrdxhq.UUCP (Mike Stalnaker) writes:

>In article <12382@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU>, gsmith@brahms.BERKELEY.EDU (Gene Ward Smith) writes:
>... Mr. Smith first makes a correction to the 14 March stardate article...
>> Am I the only one who finds the tripe
>> emanating from "StarDate" to be often annoying?

>***Flame On. ****
>I think you are one of the few pompous people who seem to think that just
>because they know something about astronomy, putting out short, non technical
>articles for the general public could only be considered 'tripe'.  Stardate

   I prefer to think I am one of the boring, pompous people who believe that
if this is done, 'twer best done correctly. I also find the Kindergarten
teacher tone a little annoying.

>is brodcast over radio daily in many major markets, and the folks are at
>U. Texas are kind enough to send a transcript out over the net. I have
>found their articles informative and useful, and I have done a great deal
>of studying in the field on my own.  Consider: The average person has no
>idea of the difference between space and space time. In fact, according to
>Einstein, there is no difference, if I remember correctly.  Don't assume

    Wrong. Study more, and listen to Debbie less.

ucbvax!brahms!gsmith    Gene Ward Smith/UCB Math Dept/Berkeley CA 94720
          "There are no differences but differences of degree
            between degrees of difference and no difference"

weemba@brahms.BERKELEY.EDU (Matthew P. Wiener) (03/17/86)

In article <12382@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU> gsmith@brahms.UUCP (Gene Ward Smith) writes:
>>Today we celebrate the birthday of Albert Einstein -- the first person
>>to suggest that space can be curved.  More -- after this.

Yay!

>   I think this was Gauss, Debbie. Einstein suggested that space-time was
>curved, which is not the same thing. Am I the only one who finds the tripe
>emanating from "StarDate" to be often annoying?

Boo!

To answer your question: no, but so what?  I know you use 'rrn', so put it
in your kill file, Gene.  Now let's all go back to having a peaceful news-
group.  Or we'll just start calling you the 'Josh McDowell of net.astro'.

O-)	Megaton Man, on patrol.

Wooo!

ucbvax!brahms!weemba	Matthew P Wiener/UCB Math Dept/Berkeley CA 94720

crs@lanl.UUCP (03/17/86)

> Am I the only one who finds the tripe
> emanating from "StarDate" to be often annoying?

Perhaps the author of this flame should read net.astro.expert instead of
net.astro.

I, for one, very much appreciate the efforts of Debbie and the others at
utastro.  I suspect that those of us who are *not* experts in astronomy
considerably outnumber those who are.  Keep up the good work, Debbie.
--
The opinions expressed are not necessarily those of my employer,
the government or your favorite deity.

Charlie Sorsby
...!{cmcl2,ihnp4,...}!lanl!crs
crs@lanl.arpa

weemba@brahms.BERKELEY.EDU (Matthew P. Wiener) (03/18/86)

In article <158@rtech.UUCP> jeff@rtech.UUCP (Jeff Lichtman) writes:
>>>Today we celebrate the birthday of Albert Einstein -- the first person
>>>to suggest that space can be curved.
>>
>>    I think this was Gauss, Debbie. Einstein suggested that space-time was
>> curved, which is not the same thing.
>
>Gauss, Lobachevsky, et al. studied curved spaces as mathematical objects, not
>as models of reality.  As far as I know, Einstein was the first to use non-
>Euclidean geometry to describe real space.

Gene's assertions are correct.  In particular, the distinction between
curved space and curved space-time is important, but usually ignored in
popular accounts.

Gauss measured the angles of a large triangle in Germany to see whether or
not the three angles added up to 180 degrees experimentally.  He concluded
that one could not yet tell.  Einstein was the first to *successfully* use
non-Euclidean geometry in describing the mathematics of space-time.  On the
way to his general theory of relativity, he had tried a theory which just
involved the curvature of space, still treating time as something separate.
This theory gave the correct prediction for the precession of Mercury's orbit,
but gave a value for the deflection of light by the sun one-half of the
correct value.

Riemann in the mid 19th century had tried using his geometry to base a theory
of gravitation on.  He missed the importance of space-time as opposed to just
space.  My memory is fuzzy on failed theories of gravitation, but I seem to
recall Ni in 1913 proposed a theory of relativity involving curved space-time.
He had the right idea but the wrong field equations.

We all hear about the success stories in the history of science, but there
are a lot of fascinating close misses.

ucbvax!brahms!weemba	Matthew P Wiener/UCB Math Dept/Berkeley CA 94720

ugzannin@sunybcs.UUCP (Adrian Zannin) (03/22/86)

> > Am I the only one who finds the tripe
> > emanating from "StarDate" to be often annoying?
> >
> > ucbvax!brahms!gsmith    Gene Ward Smith/UCB Math Dept/Berkeley CA 94720
>
> Am I the only one who finds complaints about a free service annoying?
> --
> Jeff Lichtman at rtech (Relational Technology, Inc.)
[]
   My feelings exactly! There are those of us who enjoy reading the StarDate
articles...without them I would have missed several events that I enjoyed
a great deal.  Mr. Gene Ward Smith, there are those of us out here in netland
who have the ability to read what is on the screen and get information out of
it, rather than nit-picking the "tone" in which the information is displayed.
If you find it so annoying, why not just skip the article?  I find it rather
pleasant to read StarDate and I enjoy the tone of it also since I am not an
expert in astronomy and have been rather annoyed at the tone of other articles,
those from the experts who assume that everyone else is as learned as they are.
    And by the way, being of Italian descent, tripe is one of my favorite
dishes...

--
     Adrian Zannin
     SUNY at Buffalo Computer Science

..{bbncca,decvax,dual,rocksvax,watmath,sbcs}!sunybcs!ugzannin
CSNET:    ugzannin@Buffalo.CSNET
ARPANET:  ugzannin%Buffalo@csnet-relay.ARPA
BITNET:   ugzannin@sunybcs.BITNET

phoenix@genat.UUCP (phoenix) (03/23/86)

In article <2961@sunybcs.UUCP> ugzannin@sunybcs.UUCP (Adrian Zannin) writes:
>> > Am I the only one who finds the tripe
>> > emanating from "StarDate" to be often annoying?
>> >
>> > ucbvax!brahms!gsmith    Gene Ward Smith/UCB Math Dept/Berkeley CA 94720
>>
>> Am I the only one who finds complaints about a free service annoying?
>> --
>> Jeff Lichtman at rtech (Relational Technology, Inc.)
>[]
>   My feelings exactly! There are those of us who enjoy reading the StarDate
>articles...without them I would have missed several events that I enjoyed
>a great deal.  Mr. Gene Ward Smith, there are those of us out here in netland
>who have the ability to read what is on the screen and get information out of
>it, rather than nit-picking the "tone" in which the information is displayed.
>If you find it so annoying, why not just skip the article?  I find it rather
>pleasant to read StarDate and I enjoy the tone of it also since I am not an
>expert in astronomy and have been rather annoyed at the tone of other articles,
>those from the experts who assume that everyone else is as learned as they are.
>    And by the way, being of Italian descent, tripe is one of my favorite
>dishes...
>
>--
>     Adrian Zannin
>     SUNY at Buffalo Computer Science

I like StarDate as well, I find it presents good information in a "user-
friendly" :-) format.  Not *everyone* in net.astro is an expert, that's why
net.astro.expert exists, I imagine.  StarDate in *that* group would be an-
noying to some people I sure, since it would be couched in ordinary speech
instead of undecypherable mega-talk.  I vote to keep StarDate:  any information
you didn't know before is valuable.
mega-talk.
--
					The Phoenix
					(Neither Bright, Dark, nor Young)

---"A man should live forever...or die trying."
---"There is no substitute for good manners...except fast reflexes."
---"Never appeal to a man's "better nature".  He may not have one.
    Invoking his self-interest gives you more leverage."