[net.roots] "Bell"

djo@sdchema.UUCP (Denise O'jibway) (07/25/85)

To the person researching the Bell family:

I came across a record of a John Bell that was a U.S. Deputy
Marshall in 1889.  I hope that helps.

Denise

beslove@osu-eddie.UUCP (Adam Beslove) (07/29/85)

There's a Bell family here in Columbus, Ohio.  They're Jewish, if that makes
any difference.

Adam

andrews@ubc-cs.UUCP (James H. Andrews) (07/31/85)

In article <513@osu-eddie.UUCP> beslove@osu-eddie.UUCP (Adam Beslove) writes:
>There's a Bell family here in Columbus, Ohio.  They're Jewish, if that makes
>any difference.
>Adam

     There's a chance that this information may be helpful, but...  Bell is a
fairly common surname in Scotland, and probably other parts of Britain as well.
I myself am descended from a Rev. William Bell from Airdrie, Scotland; he
became famous in the Ottawa valley (Ontario) for his missionary work, at about
the same time as a pioneer with exactly the same name was becoming famous in
the same area (early 19th century).
     So the chances that the questioner and other Bells are related is somewhat
smaller than one would expect for other names.  Heck, my father's aunt Jane
Bell used to tell him they were related to Alexander Graham Bell!... and that
turned out to be about as far off as you can get.
     --Jamie.
    ...!ihnp4!alberta!ubc-vision!ubc-cs!andrews
    or andrews@cs.ubc.cdn