[net.roots] Dibble family

bennison@clt.DEC (Victor Bennison - DTN 381-2156) (12/22/85)

---
Subject: DIBBELL:  Request for info

>I am doing genealogical research on my family, and have amassed
>a good deal of info already.  I am posting this, hoping to find
>someone who may be able to help "fill in the gaps" etc.

Since you don't mention what you HAVE tried, it's a little hard
to know what to suggest, but:

>Item 1:  Robert Dibble married Mary Tucker (b. 1653) in Windsor,
>         Connecticut on 10/10/1672.  Had at least two sons,
>         Thomas and Ephraim (b. 1675).  Have some sketchy evidence
>         that I am direct descendent of Thomas.  Any other leads
>         most welcome.

Are there published Dibble family genealogies?  You could call the
Library of Congress to find out.  There are also published bibliographies
of genealogies in the Library of Congress.  You could also check the
Mormon card catalog for Dibble genealogies, though unless a book is
on microfilm you can't borrow it from them.

>Item 2:  Daniel Dibble (Rev War Vet) (b. 11/8/1761, d. 3/3/1810)
>         married Mabel Bishop Stone (b. 6/3/1760, d. 4/14/1787)
>         in Guilford Connecticut.  Had at least two children,
>         Harriett and Henry.  No further information known.  (I
>         got this info from the Bishop Family Genealogy).  I sort
>         of "know" Daniel is related, due to family stories passed
>         down, but have not been able to verify this.

Have you searched through the DAR lineage books?  Have you written the
DAR?  By the way, though the DAR has done a lot of good work, they have
also published a lot of bad information.  I don't trust anything they
send me unless I can verify it separately.  It's a good place to start
though.

>Item 3:  Amos Dibbell (b. 3/12/1781) in Hunter County, New York.

I can find no record of a HUNTER county in New York state.

>         I understand that a Miss Mary Dibbell, of Kingston NY has
>         Amos's family bible, and that the Albany State Library
>         has a copy (this info about 40 years old).  Any help in
>         contacting Mary Dibbell or her descendents, and/or obtaining
>         a copy of the copy at the Library will be greatly appreciated.

Have you called or written to the Albany State Library, Albany, NY 12224?
You might also write to the Ulster County Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 333,
Hurley, N.Y. 12443.  Kingston is in Ulster County, and perhaps they know of
Mary Dibbell or have a copy of the bible records, though I think this is
somewhat of a long shot.  Tannersville, mentioned below is in Greene county,
which was formed from Ulster county.  I find no genealogical society for
Greene county.  You could also try the Elting Library, Historical and
Genealogical Department, 93 Main Street, New Paltz, NY 12561.  It's in
Ulster County.

>         Evidently many of Amos's descendents have been interred in
>         the Tanner(s)ville Cemetery (New York).

Have you looked through the Mormon card catalog to discover if they have
cemetery inscriptions from the Tannersville Cemetery?  They have microfilms
of the DAR collection of cemetery inscriptions.  You can rent the microfilms.

If you have a filled in family group sheet with all the references you have
used to create it, then it would be a good idea to send it along with your
queries.  Genealogical societies will generally file it in their family
files, and someone may run across it later and write to you.

Whenever you write places asking for information send a self addressed stamped
envelope.

    				Vick Bennison
    				...decvax!decwrl!rhea!tools!bennison
    				(603) 881-2156