[net.cse.cai] CAI goes to the movies

daemon@decwrl.UUCP (12/15/83)

From: Ed Featherston  HL01-1/P06  225-5241 <roll::featherston>

 Begin Forwarded Message:

Newsgroup : net.cse.cai
>From : CLOSUS::NERAD

Subj:  CAI goes to the movies

In very late reply to the query for people doing CAI in the real world, I am a
contractor from Telematic Systems working with the IVIS project at DEC in
Burlington, MA.  IVIS stands for Interactive Video Information System, and
runs CBI (as we prefer -- Computer BASED Instruction) consisting of textual,
color graphic, and audio/video information on an integrated one-monitor
system.  We use a videodisc player in conjunction with a PRO350.  The system
is announced, and will start shipping early next year.

I am very excited about the system.  It's a great deal of fun to work with,
and the resulting courses have turned out to be generally engaging and
informative.

In working with a hybrid medium, we have run into special integration
problems, since educational designers, video people and computer people must
all learn to talk to each other to produce a good course.

Other manufacturers have been producing similar (mostly two-monitor: one for
text and one for video) systems.  These will probably be seen more in the CAI
environments in the future.

Who else is out there?
    						Shava Nerad
    						Telematic Systems

		Mail address : ...decvax!decwrl!rhea!closus!nerad

 End Forwarded Message