[net.misc] Mensa and elitism

hollombe@ttidcc.UUCP (12/18/84)

I knew we'd get around to this sooner or later ...

As usual, the point has been raised that Mensa is an elitist  organization.
This  is  true.  It  is  also  true  of highschool football teams, symphony
orchestras, and the company you probably work for (do you  seriously  think
they  hire  anyone  who walks in the door?).  Any organization which sets a
standard for membership is an elitist organization.  I  don't  hear  anyone
condemning the American Bar Association for being elitist (you have to pass
a bar exam to join).  I've never been able to pass a  calculus  course.  Is
the   American  Mathematical  Society  to  be  criticized  for  denying  me
membership?

We live in an elitist society.  To claim anything else is  pure  hypocrisy.
The  concept  "that  all  men  are  created equal" has a fine, high-minded,
idealistic ring to it.  It is also utter nonsense.  The fact  is  that  all
people  are not created equal and they certainly don't become equal as they
grow older.

If you're going to criticize Mensa then you also have to criticize Phi Beta
Kappa,  Psi Chi, and all the other scholastic honor societies.  How many of
you belong to one or more of these?  Should I  blank  out  the  "Summa  Cum
Laude"  on my diploma because it's un-egalitarian? ( :-) You should live so
long.) Who out there belongs to the ACM (takes two recommendations to join)
or the IEEE (full membership requires an engineering degree)?

There!  That should put the cat amongst the pidgeons.

--
The Polymath
(Jerry Hollombe)                  Opinions expressed here are my own

steiny@scc.UUCP (Don Steiny) (12/21/84)

**

	Suppose someone started a "net.mensa,"  or better yet,
a "net.hi-iq."    How would it work?  If it was unmoderated,
then anyone could post to it.  Imagine that some person
who had not taken a qualifying test recently or, if they had,
had not had any Mensa applications handy and had failed
to join Mensa.   Suppose this person (who might have a
low-iq for all anyone knows) got interested in a discussion
and posted to the group?   How would anyone know?  I imagine
that there would be anarchy.    I am sure well meaning people
who took tests many years ago might forget their scores
upwards.  You know, someone that  was actually in the
top 2.5 % might forget and think that they were actually
in the top 2% in the same way someone that was 6 feet
and 3/4 inches might forget and think that he was
6 foot 1.

	If it was moderated, what would the moderator have
to do?  Check with Mensa to see if a poster was really
qualified to post to the group?

	Mensa is a social club.   There are no other
groups on the net that are by members of a club.   Sometimes
groups or organizations publish the times of meetings, classes,
and even parties in regional subgroups.  These local distributions
act as bulliten boards.    I doubt most people would mind
articles about Mensa meetings clearly labeled "Mensa Meeting
Announcment," distributed appropriately.

	No wonder people say it is elitist, there is nothing
else to say about it.   It is a boring topic.  If people think
it is wonderful and hunky dorey, then the conversation is over
if they don't  ... boring.  If someone accuses
a Mensa member of being an "elitist", what could be better?
After all, it is an elite organization, only the elite
can join.   That is why they joined, right?  To be members
of an elite organization.  Saying that Mensa is elitist
is hardely an insult, that is the whole point.   Tautologies
are make dull conversation.   There is little to say about
Mensa.
--
scc!steiny
Don Steiny - Personetics @ (408) 425-0382

geb@cadre.UUCP (12/23/84)

Mensa isn't in the same category as Phi Beta Kappa.  One is
an honorary which is given to university students for high
grades.  Very few go to more than the first meeting, those
who continue active in it are either deans or indeed have
mensa tendencies.  Mensa has to be sought out.  No accomplishment
is necessary, other than having taken an IQ test.  Phi Beta
Kappa is mainly useful for resumes.  Anyone who puts Mensa
membership on their resume should have their head examined,
as they should be able to see from the high level of hostility
of the net people.  Certainly Phi Beta Kappa and the like
are anachronisms also nowadays, since really they count for
very little in my experience, since grades, standard exam
scores and references are more easily interpreted in evaluating
a candidate for graduate or meical schoo.

barry@ames.UUCP (Kenn Barry) (12/25/84)

[]

	From ttidcc!hollombe (Jerry Hollombe):
> As usual, the point has been raised that Mensa is an elitist  organization.
> This  is  true.  It  is  also  true  of highschool football teams, symphony
> orchestras, and the company you probably work for (do you  seriously  think
> they  hire  anyone  who walks in the door?).  Any organization which sets a
> standard for membership is an elitist organization.  I  don't  hear  anyone
> condemning the American Bar Association for being elitist (you have to pass
> a bar exam to join).  I've never been able to pass a  calculus  course.  Is
> the   American  Mathematical  Society  to  be  criticized  for  denying  me
> membership?

	The other organizations you mention could be called elitist,
but their standards for membership are based on *accomplishment*, not
innate ability.

> We live in an elitist society.  To claim anything else is  pure  hypocrisy.
> The  concept  "that  all  men  are  created equal" has a fine, high-minded,
> idealistic ring to it.  It is also utter nonsense.  The fact  is  that  all
> people  are not created equal and they certainly don't become equal as they
> grow older.

	My precise point. The premise of mensa seems to be that you qualify
for membership by what you *are*, not what you've done. Formally,
you could argue that you qualify by the accomplishment of scoring well
on certain tests, but, as you here imply, that is not the premise
of mensa. The premise is that these tests actually measure something
meaningful about you, something innate.
	I think there are two things about mensa that some people find
objectionable. One is the idea of a group which restricts membership
according to traits that are (at least supposedly) innate. Recall the
recent debate about the Association for Women in Computing (may be wrong
name). Some objected to it as sexist (form of elitism) if it only admits
women.
	The other problem is the tests, themselves. Do they measure *anything*
beyond the ability to do well on certain specific types of tests? Or
is it possible that mensa is not only elitist, but is based on a completely
arbitrary measurement, and is thus a false elitism? Having just read
Gould's THE MISMEASURE OF MAN, my doubts about the worth of IQ tests
are particularly acute at the moment.
	Actually, I don't object to mensa; even went to a mensa open
house, once, to check it out. But I do disagree with the implication
in your article that mensa members are an elite of any sort. The question
of what IQ tests actually measure (beyond one's skill at taking IQ tests)
is still far too open to permit that conclusion.

-  From the Crow's Nest  -                      Kenn Barry
                                                NASA-Ames Research Center
                                                Moffett Field, CA
 	USENET:		 {ihnp4,vortex,dual,hao,menlo70,hplabs}!ames!barry
	SOURCE:	         ST7891

rcd@opus.UUCP (Dick Dunn) (12/28/84)

> > As usual, the point has been raised that Mensa is an elitist  organization.
> > This  is  true.  It  is  also  true  of highschool football teams, symphony
> > orchestras,...
> 	The other organizations you mention could be called elitist,
> but their standards for membership are based on *accomplishment*, not
> innate ability.
> ...The premise of mensa seems to be that you qualify
> for membership by what you *are*, not what you've done. Formally,
> you could argue that you qualify by the accomplishment of scoring well
> on certain tests, but, as you here imply, that is not the premise
> of mensa. The premise is that these tests actually measure something
> meaningful about you, something innate...

Of course, there's plenty of room to question whether the tests measure
anything meaningful about something as ephemeral as "intelligence".  They
ATTEMPT to do so and seem to succeed a little bit...if there were better
ways to determine intelligence, they'd be used.

> 	I think there are two things about mensa that some people find
> objectionable. One is the idea of a group which restricts membership
> according to traits that are (at least supposedly) innate...

The argument about innate abilities vs. accomplishments is hair-splitting.
Measuring a person by accomplishments can be every bit as empty as
measuring by (apparent) innate ability.  What constitutes a "meaningful"
accomplishment, anyway?

Moreover, one of Mensa's real concerns is in helping people deal with the
(supposed) innate abilities they have, which they may often be unable to
use as they feel they should.  If an organization wants to try to deal with
something like the disparity between ability and accomplishment, it seems
only logical to base membership on ability.

In fact, the angry reaction that some folks (NOT the parent article to this
one, though) have to Mensa and its members indicates some need for its
existence.
--
Dick Dunn	{hao,ucbvax,allegra}!nbires!rcd		(303)444-5710 x3086
   ...Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile.

hollombe@ttidcc.UUCP (Jerry Hollombe) (12/28/84)

[]

Now we've got the discussion perking along nicely, I suppose it's time to
turn down the flames and try to generate some light.  So ...

>From: barry@ames.UUCP (Kenn Barry)
>Subject: Re: Mensa and elitism
>        From ttidcc!hollombe (Jerry Hollombe):
>> As usual, the point has been raised that Mensa is an elitist  organization.
>> This  is  true.  It  is  also  true  of highschool football teams, symphony
>> orchestras, and the company you probably work for (do you  seriously  think
>> they  hire  anyone  who walks in the door?).  Any organization which sets a
>> standard for membership is an elitist organization.  I  don't  hear  anyone
>> condemning the American Bar Association for being elitist (you have to pass
>> a bar exam to join).  I've never been able to pass a  calculus  course.  Is
>> the   American  Mathematical  Society  to  be  criticized  for  denying  me
>> membership?

>        The other organizations you mention could be called elitist,
>but their standards for membership are based on *accomplishment*, not
>innate ability.

One doesn't usually find any "97 pound  weaklings"  on  even  a  highschool
football team.  Neither will you find any tin ears in a symphony orchestra.
These are innate abilities.  Whether what  intelligence  tests  measure  is
innate ability or acquired ability remains somewhat controversial. (More on
this anon.)

>> We live in an elitist society.  To claim anything else is  pure  hypocrisy.
>> The  concept  "that  all  men  are  created equal" has a fine, high-minded,
>> idealistic ring to it.  It is also utter nonsense.  The fact  is  that  all
>> people  are not created equal and they certainly don't become equal as they
>> grow older.
>
>        My precise point. The premise of mensa seems to be that you qualify
>for membership by what you *are*, not what you've done. Formally,
>you could argue that you qualify by the accomplishment of scoring well
>on certain tests, but, as you here imply, that is not the premise
>of mensa. The premise is that these tests actually measure something
>meaningful about you, something innate.

The question of what exactly "intelligence tests" measure is an interesting
and  controversial  one.  What  follows  here  is  my opinion, based on the
knowledge and experience  acquired  while  earning  a  Master's  degree  in
Clinical Psychology.

I don't think there really is such a thing as an  "intelligence  test".  To
understand  why,  try to think up a good definition of intelligence (yes, I
know it's  in  the  dictionary).  It's  difficult  to  devise  a  test  for
something  when even the experts can't agree on a working definition of it.
What IQ tests actually measure might be called "academic potential" --  how
likely  the  person taking the test is to do well in academic activities at
the time of taking the test.  This was the stated purpose of  the  original
Binet  test  which  put  the term "IQ" into our vocabulary.  It is also the
purpose of such tests as the SAT, ACT, GRE,  etc.  These  tests  have  been
refined  and  tuned over years of comparing test predicted performance with
actual performance until they are probably the most accurate  psychological
instruments in existence (about 70%).

There is no clear cut answer to whether what these tests measure is  innate
or learned.  It seems intuitively obvious that both nature and nurture play
a significant role in test performance.  What part each plays and which  is
most influential remains controversial.

>arbitrary measurement, and is thus a false elitism? Having just read
>Gould's THE MISMEASURE OF MAN, my doubts about the worth of IQ tests
>are particularly acute at the moment.

I haven't read Gould's book, so I can't comment on it.  There does seem  to
be  much  paranoia  about  "IQ"  testing in the world, much of it caused by
ignorance and misunderstanding of the techniques  and  their  purpose.  The
tests  are  also  misused in many cases which perhaps justifies some of the
paranoia.

>        Actually, I don't object to mensa; even went to a mensa open
>house, once, to check it out. But I do disagree with the implication
>in your article that mensa members are an elite of any sort. The question
>of what IQ tests actually measure (beyond one's skill at taking IQ tests)
>is still far too open to permit that conclusion.

Actually, it's everyone else who calls Mensa  an  elitist  organization.  I
was  just  agreeing  for  the  sake of argument.  Certainly, the members of
Mensa are a highly selected group.  Whether this makes  them  an  elite  is
debatable.  It's  the  rest  of  the world who labels them as such and then
resents them for it.  Mensa per se expresses no  opinion  as  to  what  the
scores  may  actually  mean (Mensa officially has no opinions at all on any
subject), though its very existence implies they mean something.  The sheer
range  of  tests  accepted  by  Mensa  as  evidence  of  qualification  for
membership would seem  to  acknowledge  the  uncertainty  inherent  in  the
definition and measurement of intelligence.

I think that's enough for now.  I'm dialing in  from  home  this  week  and
screen  editing at 300 baud is bloody hard work.  Hope everyone had a happy
holiday season.

--

west@utcsrgv.UUCP (Thomas L. West) (12/28/84)

barry@ames.UUCP (Kenn Barry) writes:
>	From ttidcc!hollombe (Jerry Hollombe):
>> As usual, the point has been raised that Mensa is an elitist  organization.
>> This  is  true.  It  is  also  true  of highschool football teams, symphony
>> orchestras, and the company you probably work for (do you  seriously  think
>> they  hire  anyone  who walks in the door?).  Any organization which sets a
>> standard for membership is an elitist organization.  I  don't  hear  anyone
>> condemning the American Bar Association for being elitist (you have to pass
>> a bar exam to join).  I've never been able to pass a  calculus  course.  Is
>> the   American  Mathematical  Society  to  be  criticized  for  denying  me
>> membership?
>
>	The other organizations you mention could be called elitist,
>but their standards for membership are based on *accomplishment*, not
>innate ability.

  What?  I'd certainly claim that ability at math, music, languages or just
about anything is an innate ability.  One can accomplish more with determination
and hard work, but the basic innate ability is STILL required.  (The same is
probably true for IQ tests (I agree with the original poster on that IQ tests
don't measure a whole lot besides the ability to take IQ tests.  Besides, what
*is* IQ?  According to what I've learned, measurement of intelligence is
measured on about 9 different (and mostly independent axes) (actually most
claim MANY more than 9).  So how can a single figure do for a variable with
probably 50 indices?))
  However claiming that being a mathematician is just plain work without a lot
of built in ability is, in my opinion, wrong.  I know I couldn't be a
mathematician in a million years no matter HOW much effort went into it.
   Mensa only differs in that innate ability alone can get you in (again, in
theory).  The other organizations are even MORE elitist.  They require innate
ability AND accomplishment.
Tom West
 { allegra cornell decvax ihnp4 linus utzoo }!utcsrgv!west

geb@cadre.UUCP (12/28/84)

> Measuring a person by accomplishments can be every bit as empty as
> measuring by (apparent) innate ability.  What constitutes a "meaningful"
> accomplishment, anyway?

Well, how about winning a Nobel prize?  Establishing a billion dollar
corporation?  Inventing a computer in your garage that mushrooms
into a Forture 500 company?  Writing a best-seller?

That isn't to say a person who does these things is BETTER or smarter than
other people, but I suspect it's a little more than just
being lucky most of the time.  IQ tests attempt to measure
POTENTIAL, which seems useless without accomplishment.  You can
argue about the value of a person's accomplishments (say a Ph.D.)
but you can't argue that they did accomplish something besides
sit around a table and talk about how to overcome the burdens
of being misunderstood because they're so gifted.  Instead of
hand-wringing with their fellow statospheric IQs maybe it would
be better if they were out in the trenches rubbing shoulders with
the masses to help raise the general level of those less fortunate.

Please excuse the strong hyperbole, but it's to make a point.

hollombe@ttidcc.UUCP (Jerry Hollombe) (12/31/84)

>From: geb@cadre.UUCP
>Subject: Re: Mensa and elitism
>
>                                                   Instead of
>hand-wringing with their fellow statospheric IQs maybe it would
>be better if they were out in the trenches rubbing shoulders with
>the masses to help raise the general level of those less fortunate.

It is not  widely  known,  but  Mensa  sponsors  various  scholarships  and
supports the Mensa Educational Research Foundation which does research into
the problems and educational needs of gifted  children.  There  is  also  a
national  Gifted  Children  Special Interest Group which acts as a clearing
house for relevant information.

--
The Polymath
(Jerry Hollombe)                  Opinions expressed here are my own
Transaction Technology, Inc.      and unrelated to anyone else's.
3100 Ocean Park Blvd.
Santa Monica, CA  90405
United States
(213) 450-9111, ext. 2483
...{garfield,lasspvax,linus,cmcl2,seismo}!philabs!ttidca!ttidcc!hollombe

paul@umich.UUCP (01/11/85)

This mensa thing brings to mind the line

	'people join clubs for the same reason they used to carry them'

Also, let's not confuse exclusivity and elitism.  mensa may arguably be
exclusize, but elite?  Also, there are 90 pound weaklings on football
teams if they are 90 pound weaklings with guts.  A football team in
Michigan made it into the state championship game with a one-armed
quarterback.

Anyway, organizations like mensa (elks, kiwanis, masons) are formed
(i would say) as a reaction to living in an egalitarian society, where
people "not as smart/good as I am" somehow manage to rise in its ranks.
Must be luck, hey?

--paul