[net.misc] Why Do We Christians Worship On Sunday?

riddle@ut-sally.UUCP (01/02/85)

[This is a followup to an item in net.religion.christian.]

>> After having gone through many passages of the Bible that things
>> like "Blessed are those who keep my Sabbath" what justification
>> do we give for worshiping on Sunday's rather than on the Sabbath?
>> God instructed us to save the last day of the week for him and
>> ever since way back calanders show Sunday as the first day of the week.

That's funny -- in many countries, calendars are printed "M T W T F S S"
instead of "S M T W T F S".  Does anyone know how far back is "way back?" Is
one way of showing the order of the days of the week older than the other?
Which is more widespread?  And is anyone out there knowledgable enough about
the ancient Hebrew calendar to say whether there is a strict identity between
its seven days and any particular seven days in the modern calendar?  (I may
go try and look this up for myself, but for now the libraries are all locked
up for the holidays.)

--- Prentiss Riddle ("Aprendiz de todo, maestro de nada.")
--- {ihnp4,harvard,seismo,gatech,ctvax}!ut-sally!riddle

geb@cadre.UUCP (01/03/85)

Since orthodox Jews have been around continuously celebrating
the Sabbath for at least 3000 years, it is inconceivable that
they could have "lost track" or forgotten one day.  After all,
to keep count you only have to be capable of counting to seven.
Therefore I would conclude that Saturday corresponds to the Jewish Sabbath.
It was changed to Sunday for Christians deliberately soon after
the time of Jesus, I understand.

avolio@grendel.UUCP (01/03/85)

I am quite sure this should not be in this news group at all.  That is
what happens when you think "Well, I'll post to this news group, too, just
this once...."  But anyway,

	The switch from the Sabbath on  last  day  of  the  week  to  the
	Christian  Sabbath being the first day of the week was due to the
	fact that the Lord rose on a the first day of the week.  Now, the
	reason  for this switch isn't stated explicitly anywhere, but can
	be deduced easily from  the  fact  that  the  very  early  church
	started  meeting  for worship on the first day of the week.  This
	became the Lord's Day (to be remembered and kept holy).  I do not
	have  the  references  available,  but  can dig them up if anyone
	*really* needs them.

--
Fred Avolio, DEC -- ULTRIX Applications Center
301/731-4100 x4227

gordon@cae780.UUCP (Brian Gordon) (01/09/85)

In article <131@cadre.UUCP> geb@cadre.UUCP writes:
>Therefore I would conclude that Saturday corresponds to the Jewish Sabbath.
>It was changed to Sunday for Christians deliberately soon after
>the time of Jesus, I understand.

I have never seen the original article, so I hope I'm not beating any dead
horses, but the Christian day of worship was moved to Sunday substantially
after the time of Jesus as a permanent remembrance of Easter Sunday.

FROM:   Brian G. Gordon, CAE Systems
USENET: {ucbvax, ihnp4, decvax!decwrl}!amd!cae780!gordon
        {nsc, resonex, qubix, hplabs}!cae780!gordon
USNAIL: 1333 Bordeaux Drive, Sunnyvale, CA  94089
AT&T:   (408)745-1440

 Is it too late not to have kids?  Greg, Joel, Tod, Jenny, Sarah and
 Alan say so, but what do a bunch of kids know?

piet@mcvax.UUCP (Piet Beertema) (01/11/85)

<...>

The Subject of this discussion should have been "Why Do Christians Worship
on Sunday?". "We" don't all happen to be members of that tribe.

--
	Piet Beertema, CWI, Amsterdam
	...{decvax,philabs}!mcvax!piet