[net.misc] Witness for Peace

riddle@ut-sally.UUCP (Prentiss Riddle) (01/15/85)

> Subject: Re: Witnesses for Peace... Who are those guys?
>
> About a year ago, our family doctor left for Nicaragua.  At the time,
> we assumed he would be doing missionary work, yet today I found this
> was not the case.
>
> He was apparently representing an organization called "Witnesses for
> Peace," based out of North Carolina, and was going to observe the
> operation of the Nicaraguan government.

Witness for Peace (not plural) is an organization of people who go to
Nicaragua to observe and report back what they see.  Most of its backing
comes from various church groups, notably the Society of Friends (Quakers).
The idea is that if the U.S. government is waging what many believe is an
illegal and immoral war against the people of Nicaragua, the least that
concerned U.S. citizens can do is to go see it for themselves.   This
they do at no small personal risk, travelling through the war zones along
the Nicaraguan-Honduran border and living with the people who are targets
of the U.S.-backed Contras.  Upon their return to the U.S., they usually
engage in educational work to spread the word on what they have seen.

I don't have an address for "Witness for Peace" with me at the moment, but
I can get one for any of you who might be interested.  I personally have
quite a bit of admiration for these people and their work; I think you
should be proud of your doctor.

--- Prentiss Riddle ("Aprendiz de todo, maestro de nada.")
--- {ihnp4,harvard,seismo,gatech,ctvax}!ut-sally!riddle
--- riddle@ut-sally.UUCP, riddle@ut-sally.ARPA, riddle@zotz.ARPA