[net.puzzle] triangles

rainbow@ihuxe.UUCP (11/09/84)

You have six unbreakable, unbendable matches. Can you form
4 equilateral triangles without crossing any matches?

emneufeld@water.UUCP (Animal D.H.) (11/12/84)

I *hope* this is *not* the solution to:
>>Can you place 6 unbendable unbreakable matches in such a way
>>that they form 4 equilaterial triangles?

Soln:  Build a stupid tetrahedron with them?  I'm not too very geometrical
so by that I mean, lay a triangle on the ground, and select just the
right point above it so that the other three matches will join up
with the corners of the triangle.

This *can't* be the solution.  It is too babyish.  But it works.

david@ukma.UUCP (David Herron) (11/13/84)

EASY!

Anybody who has played d&d knows this.  It is the 4-sided dice
(whatever the greek name for it is, "tetrahedron"?)  or "pyrimid".
Er, pyrimid with triangular base.

David Herron
Phone:	(606) 257-4244 (phone will be answered as "Vax Lab", usually).
	(606) 254-7820
                         /------- Arpa-Net
	unmvax----\     /
	research   >---/----------------/----------- anlams!ukma!david
	boulder---/                    /
	             decvax!ucbvax ---/   (or cbosgd!hasmed!qusavx!ukma!david)

For arpa-net, anlams has the name ANL-MCS.  (i.e. use "ukma!david@ANL-MCS").
I have been having intermittent problems with this address though.

pwong@pixel.DEC (Paul H. Wong) (11/14/84)

    >Newsgroups: net.puzzle
    >Subject: triangles
    >
    >You have six unbreakable, unbendable matches. Can you form
    >4 equilateral triangles without crossing any matches?

Sure, just make a pyramid with a triangular base.

- Paul Wong

To:	ME,RHEA::DECWRL::net.puzzle