[net.puzzle] a good interview question

thill@ssc-bee.UUCP (Tom Hill) (03/08/85)

Here is a good interview problem.  It can be a bit heartless to give
to a nervous interviewee but bewarned... a guy I met was actually
asked this!

	You have to travel from town A. to town B.   The distance
	between the two towns is 2 miles.  If you drive 30 mph for the
	first mile, how fast do you have to drive the second mile in
	order to average 60 mph?

It can be tricky if you don't think about it.

Tom Hill

joe@petsd.UUCP (Joe Orost) (03/09/85)

In article <302@ssc-bee.UUCP> thill@ssc-bee.UUCP (Tom Hill) writes:
>	You have to travel from town A. to town B.   The distance
>	between the two towns is 2 miles.  If you drive 30 mph for the
>	first mile, how fast do you have to drive the second mile in
>	order to average 60 mph?
>
>It can be tricky if you don't think about it.

Your right about that.  I thought about it and here is the answer:

	It can't be done.

Explanation: In order to average 60 mph, you must travel 1 mile in 1 minute.
Therefore, you must travel the 2 miles in 2 minutes.  But, you have already
taken 2 minutes to travel the first mile, so even if you go "faster than
greased lightning" in the second mile, you won't make the 60mph average.

ronbe@tekred.UUCP (Ron Bemis ) (03/09/85)

> You have to travel from town A. to town B.   The distance
> between the two towns is 2 miles.  If you drive 30 mph for the
> first mile, how fast do you have to drive the second mile in
> order to average 60 mph?

Real fast...  If you drive the first mile at 30 mph,
you've already blown your two minutes needed to average
60 mph.
--
tektronix!tekred!ronbe  _____      Support Bacteria -
Ron Bemis              / o o \     It's the only

peterb@pbear.UUCP (03/10/85)

	If you don't want the answer, hit n now.
	.
	.
	.
	.
	.
	.
	.
	.
	.
	.
	.
	.
	.
	.
	.
	.
	.
	.

	Ok, The problem:

	town a to town b is two miles. first mile is travelled at 30 mph

	question: what speed is needed to average 60 mph.

	First mile is travelled at 30 mph, or 2 minute miles. 2 miles@60 is 2
minutes, so no matter what speed you travel at, you can not get 60mph
average.

	So if you are asked this question (as I was in an interview), some
possible answers to keep in your head are:

	1)      Indeterminate. (division by 0)
	2)      Infinite.
	3)      What do I care, math and marketing don't mix! :-)

					Peter Barada
					ima!Pbear!peterb

mrh@cybvax0.UUCP (Mike Huybensz) (03/10/85)

In article <302@ssc-bee.UUCP> thill@ssc-bee.UUCP (Tom Hill) writes:
> Here is a good interview problem.  It can be a bit heartless to give
> to a nervous interviewee but bewarned... a guy I met was actually
> asked this!
>
> 	You have to travel from town A. to town B.   The distance
> 	between the two towns is 2 miles.  If you drive 30 mph for the
> 	first mile, how fast do you have to drive the second mile in
> 	order to average 60 mph?

There are two simple answers.

a) You cannot travel fast enough.  You have already consumed the entire
   two minutes required to average 60 mph over the time it takes to make
   the trip.

b) 90 mph.  You will then have travelled an average of 60 mph over the
   DISTANCE of the trip.

There probably are other measures possible as well.
--

Mike Huybensz		...decvax!genrad!mit-eddie!cybvax0!mrh

ncg@ukc.UUCP (N.C.Gale) (03/11/85)

In article <302@ssc-bee.UUCP> thill@ssc-bee.UUCP (Tom Hill) writes:

>Here is a good interview problem.  It can be a bit heartless to give
>to a nervous interviewee but bewarned... a guy I met was actually
>asked this!
>

>	You have to travel from town A. to town B.   The distance
>	between the two towns is 2 miles.  If you drive 30 mph for the
>	first mile, how fast do you have to drive the second mile in
>	order to average 60 mph?
>

>It can be tricky if you don't think about it.
>

>Tom Hill

average?
average over what? Time? Distance? Speed(?)?
8-(

Nige Gale

ndiamond@watdaisy.UUCP (Norman Diamond) (03/11/85)

> Here is a good interview problem.
> 	You have to travel from town A. to town B.   The distance
> 	between the two towns is 2 miles.  If you drive 30 mph for the
> 	first mile, how fast do you have to drive the second mile in
> 	order to average 60 mph?
> -- Tom Hill

It is an excellent interview question.  By watching the applicant's
reaction, the interviewer can predict how the applicant would perform
on the job when typical users or managers make typical demands....

--

   Norman Diamond

UUCP:  {decvax|utzoo|ihnp4|allegra}!watmath!watdaisy!ndiamond
CSNET: ndiamond%watdaisy@waterloo.csnet
ARPA:  ndiamond%watdaisy%waterloo.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa

"Opinions are those of the keyboard, and do not reflect on me or higher-ups."

vch@rruxo.UUCP (V. Hatem) (03/12/85)

let's be real - you people are actually posting ANSWERS to that question??
I'd be ashamed if I couldn't answer that question! (what makes you think
anybody is THAT stupid???

Vince.

ron@brl-tgr.ARPA (Ron Natalie <ron>) (03/12/85)

My favorite is:

	Why are manhole covers round?

There are two answers.

vch@rruxo.UUCP (V. Hatem) (03/12/85)

If you were asked that question during an interview, you may be able to
sue, as it is illegal in many states to ask questions like that during an
interview! (something about discrimination...)

vince.

ndiamond@watdaisy.UUCP (Norman Diamond) (03/12/85)

> let's be real - you people are actually posting ANSWERS to that question??
> I'd be ashamed if I couldn't answer that question! (what makes you think
> anybody is THAT stupid???
>
> Vince.

So, anyone who didn't concentrate in communications theory (or related areas
of applied mathematics) should not be using the net, eh?  We are all stupid,
eh?  Anyone who was interested in compiler design, mulitprocessing protocols,
set theory, etc., is stupid, stupid, stupid!
--

   Norman Diamond

UUCP:  {decvax|utzoo|ihnp4|allegra}!watmath!watdaisy!ndiamond
CSNET: ndiamond%watdaisy@waterloo.csnet
ARPA:  ndiamond%watdaisy%waterloo.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa

"Opinions are those of the keyboard, and do not reflect on me or higher-ups."

bulko@ut-sally.UUCP (William C. Bulko) (03/13/85)

< bug off! >

that it was because the circle is the only two-dimensional shape that has
the same diameter no matter how you turn it.  (The square, for example,
is smaller when viewed from one side than when viewed from a corner, since
a diagonal is longer than a side.)  The implication is that a manhole cover
cannot accidentally fall through the manhole and injure someone below, where
any other shape could.
     There's a second reason?  I'd guess that it would be that since manhole
covers are so heavy, it's easier to roll them than to carry them!

     Do I win?

		    "To err is human;  to admit it is not."
Bill Bulko					Department of Computer Sciences
The University of Texas      {ihnp4,harvard,gatech,ctvax,seismo}!ut-sally!bulko

john@x.UUCP (John Woods) (03/13/85)

> My favorite is:
>
> 	Why are manhole covers round?
>
> There are two answers.

Simple.
If they were square, only managers could fit them over the hole.
--
John Woods, Charles River Data Systems, Framingham MA, (617) 626-1101
...!decvax!frog!john, ...!mit-eddie!jfw, jfw%mit-ccc@MIT-XX.ARPA

Sorry, I don't feel deep right now.

sdi@loral.UUCP () (03/13/85)

In article <463@petsd.UUCP> joe@petsd.UUCP (PUT YOUR NAME HERE) writes:
>In article <302@ssc-bee.UUCP> thill@ssc-bee.UUCP (Tom Hill) writes:
>>	You have to travel from town A. to town B.   The distance
>>	between the two towns is 2 miles.  If you drive 30 mph for the
>>	first mile, how fast do you have to drive the second mile in
>>	order to average 60 mph?
>>
>>It can be tricky if you don't think about it.
>
>Your right about that.  I thought about it and here is the answer:
>
>	It can't be done.
>
>Explanation: In order to average 60 mph, you must travel 1 mile in 1 minute.
>Therefore, you must travel the 2 miles in 2 minutes.  But, you have already
>taken 2 minutes to travel the first mile, so even if you go "faster than
>greased lightning" in the second mile, you won't make the 60mph average.

***********
Question:  The original question says nothing about time.  Why can't you go
30mph for the first mile and 90mph for the second mile, therefore averaging
out to 60mph.  If you are driving along going 30mph for 1 mile and then
90mph in the next, you are averaging 60mph for the 2 miles.  Am I missing
something here?

scottp@tekig1.UUCP (Scott Phillips) (03/14/85)

> In article <302@ssc-bee.UUCP> thill@ssc-bee.UUCP (Tom Hill) writes:
> >	You have to travel from town A. to town B.   The distance
> >	between the two towns is 2 miles.  If you drive 30 mph for the
> >	first mile, how fast do you have to drive the second mile in
> >	order to average 60 mph?
> >
> >It can be tricky if you don't think about it.
>
> Your right about that.  I thought about it and here is the answer:
>
> 	It can't be done.
>
> Explanation: In order to average 60 mph, you must travel 1 mile in 1 minute.
> Therefore, you must travel the 2 miles in 2 minutes.  But, you have already
> taken 2 minutes to travel the first mile, so even if you go "faster than
> greased lightning" in the second mile, you won't make the 60mph average.

ah, but if you exceed the speed of light, you can stop the advance of time
(relative to you).  For that matter, you can arrive yesterday, the day before,
or the year before; dependent on how much you exceeded the speed of light.

halle@hou2b.UUCP (J.HALLE) (03/14/85)

There is a shape other than a circle which would prevent the manhole
cover from falling through.  What is it?

ndiamond@watdaisy.UUCP (Norman Diamond) (03/15/85)

> ***********
> Question:  The original question says nothing about time.  Why can't you go
> 30mph for the first mile and 90mph for the second mile, therefore averaging
> out to 60mph.  If you are driving along going 30mph for 1 mile and then
> 90mph in the next, you are averaging 60mph for the 2 miles.  Am I missing
> something here?

Speed does say something about time and distance.  You average 30mph for the
first mile, 90mph for the second mile, and 45mph for the total two miles.

Alternatively:  you average 30mph for the first 120 seconds, 90mph for the next
40 seconds, and 45mph for the total 160 seconds.  (If you don't believe this
one, take the mean of 30, 30, 30, and 90.  If you still don't believe it, then
take the mean of 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, and 1001; it is not 501.)

--

ron@brl-tgr.ARPA (Ron Natalie <ron>) (03/15/85)

> There is a shape other than a circle which would prevent the manhole
> cover from falling through.  What is it?

There are several.
	Triangle, pentagon, etc...

By the way, the two answers I was looking for were:
	1.  So it won't fall in.
	2.  Because manholes are round.

-Ron

emh@bonnie.UUCP (Edward M. Hummel) (03/16/85)

>There is a shape other than a circle which would prevent the manhole
>cover from falling through.  What is it?

An equilateral triangle .

Ed Hummel
...!clyde!bonnie!emh

ron@brl-tgr.ARPA (Ron Natalie <ron>) (03/17/85)

> Question:  The original question says nothing about time.  Why can't you go
> 30mph for the first mile and 90mph for the second mile, therefore averaging
> out to 60mph.  If you are driving along going 30mph for 1 mile and then
> 90mph in the next, you are averaging 60mph for the 2 miles.  Am I missing
> something here?

Your average speed would be:

		Distance Traveled  (miles)
		--------------------------
		Time Taken (hours)

which is to say

			(First Mile) + (Second Mile)
average speed =	----------------------------------------------
		(Time for first mile) + (Time for second mile)

Putting in some numbers

				2
	60 = -------------------------------------------------
			(1/30) + (time for second mile)

since the total distance is two miles, you want the average speed to be
60 mph and it took you 2 minutes (1/30 of an hour) to do the first mile.

Solve and find that

	(time for second mile) = 0

Which means you must travel one mile in no time at all.

-Ron

> >>	You have to travel from town A. to town B.   The distance
> >>	between the two towns is 2 miles.  If you drive 30 mph for the
> >>	first mile, how fast do you have to drive the second mile in
> >>	order to average 60 mph?

> Question:  The original question says nothing about time.  Why can't you go
> 30mph for the first mile and 90mph for the second mile, therefore averaging
> out to 60mph.  If you are driving along going 30mph for 1 mile and then
> 90mph in the next, you are averaging 60mph for the 2 miles.  Am I missing
> something here?

Yes.  Just because you can add two numbers and divide by two does not
mean that you have thereby produced a physically meaningful "average".
You might as well say that the "average distance" is (1 + 1) / 2 = 1
mile!

Average speed = Total path length / Total travel time

wws@whuxlm.UUCP (Stoll W William) (03/17/85)

> > There is a shape other than a circle which would prevent the manhole
> > cover from falling through.  What is it?
>
> There are several.
> 	Triangle, pentagon, etc...

I disagree that triangles and pentagons couldn't fall through.
If you stand them flat on one of their sides, the height
will always be less than if you pivot them (slightly) on a vertex.
Can anyone express this mathematically? -- I was never the
geometry wizard.

Bill Stoll, ..!whuxlm!wws

ndiamond@watdaisy.UUCP (Norman Diamond) (03/18/85)

> > There is a shape other than a circle which would prevent the manhole
> > cover from falling through.  What is it?
>
> There are several.
> 	Triangle, pentagon, etc...
> -Ron

Triangles and pentagons WILL fall through if oriented appropriately.
Sicherman's solutions (already posted, based on an article by Martin Gardner,
originally due to ????) are correct answers.

--

ron@brl-tgr.ARPA (Ron Natalie <ron>) (03/18/85)

> > > There is a shape other than a circle which would prevent the manhole
> > > cover from falling through.  What is it?
> >
> > There are several.
> > 	Triangle, pentagon, etc...
> >

> I disagree that triangles and pentagons couldn't fall through.

Your right, it's been demostrated to me.  The height of the triangle (even
an equilateral one is 15% smaller than the edge.

-Ron

williamg@nmtvax.UUCP (03/20/85)

>In article <302@ssc-bee.UUCP> thill@ssc-bee.UUCP (Tom Hill) writes:
>>	You have to travel from town A. to town B.   The distance
>>	between the two towns is 2 miles.  If you drive 30 mph for the
>>	first mile, how fast do you have to drive the second mile in
>>	order to average 60 mph?
>>It can be tricky if you don't think about it.
>You're right about that.  I thought about it and here is the answer:
>	It can't be done.
>Explanation: In order to average 60 mph, you must travel 1 mile in 1 minute.
>Therefore, you must travel the 2 miles in 2 minutes.  But, you have already
>taken 2 minutes to travel the first mile, so even if you go "faster than
>greased lightning" in the second mile, you won't make the 60mph average.
Ah, but if you travel at 186,000 mps you WILL make it. Why?
lim t = 0       {limit of t as velocity goes to the speed of light = 0}
v>c
ask a physicist to explain.
--
                                        Lawn Care,
                                        Shred

drseuss@nmtvax.UUCP (03/20/85)

> >Va negvpyr <302@ffp-orr.HHPC> guvyy@ffp-orr.HHPC (Gbz Uvyy) jevgrf:
> >>	Lbh unir gb geniry sebz gbja N. gb gbja O.   Gur qvfgnapr
> >>	orgjrra gur gjb gbjaf vf 2 zvyrf.  Vs lbh qevir 30 zcu sbe gur
> >>	svefg zvyr, ubj snfg qb lbh unir gb qevir gur frpbaq zvyr va
> >>	beqre gb nirentr 60 zcu?
> >>Vg pna or gevpxl vs lbh qba'g guvax nobhg vg.
> >Lbh'er evtug nobhg gung.  V gubhtug nobhg vg naq urer vf gur nafjre:
> >	Vg pna'g or qbar.
> >Rkcynangvba: Va beqre gb nirentr 60 zcu, lbh zhfg geniry 1 zvyr va 1 zvahgr.
> >Gurersber, lbh zhfg geniry gur 2 zvyrf va 2 zvahgrf.  Ohg, lbh unir nyernql
> >gnxra 2 zvahgrf gb geniry gur svefg zvyr, fb rira vs lbh tb "snfgre guna
> >ternfrq yvtugavat" va gur frpbaq zvyr, lbh jba'g znxr gur 60zcu nirentr.
> Nu, ohg vs lbh geniry ng 186,000 zcf lbh JVYY znxr vg. Jul?
> yvz g = 0       {yvzvg bs g nf irybpvgl tbrf gb gur fcrrq bs yvtug = 0}
> i>p
> nfx n culfvpvfg gb rkcynva.
> --
>                                         Ynja Pner,
>                                         Fuerq

   Qba'g lbh whfg ungr arjpbzref?!   By' Ovyy,  guvf  dhrfgvba  naq  vgf
fbyhgvba  unf  orra  nebhaq  sbe  dhvgr  fbzr  gvzr  abj.
Jurer  gur  uryy  unir  lbh  orra,  ohq?   Bx.   Abj  sbe  n  wbxr...

   Yvggyr  Zvff  Zhssrg  fng  ba  ure  ghssrg  rngvat  ure  pheqf  naq  junl,
nybat  pnzr  n  fcvqre  naq  fng  qbja  orfvqr  ure  naq  fur  cvpxrq  hc  n
fcbba  naq  orng  gur  fuvg  bhg  bs  vg!

       (cyrnfr  rkphfr  nal  fcryyvat  reebef...  Vg'f  abg  zl  znwbe.)

Fbeel...   Ab  jr'er  abg!  Lrf  jr  ner...   naq  fb  vg  pbagvahrf.
Nabgure  pbyyrtr  fghqrag  fghpx  ba  pnzchf  qhevat  FCEVAT OERNX.

                                                      Qe. Frhff

jlg@lanl.ARPA (03/20/85)

> >There is a shape other than a circle which would prevent the manhole
> >cover from falling through.  What is it?
>
> An equilateral triangle .

Not true.  The height of an equilateral triangle is less than the length
of its side.  You could slip the triangle through by dropping it through
at one edge of the hole.

J. Giles

> Ah, but if you travel at 186,000 mps you WILL make it. Why?
> lim t = 0       {limit of t as velocity goes to the speed of light = 0}
> v>c
> ask a physicist to explain.

Yes, please do.

This and other similar misunderstandings posted recently make it plain
that there is no substitute for a careful study of the subject.

shuju@eros.UUCP (ju Wang Burgess) (03/22/85)

> In article <302@ssc-bee.UUCP> thill@ssc-bee.UUCP (Tom Hill) writes:
> > Here is a good interview problem.  It can be a bit heartless to give
> > to a nervous interviewee but bewarned... a guy I met was actually
> > asked this!
> >
> > 	You have to travel from town A. to town B.   The distance
> > 	between the two towns is 2 miles.  If you drive 30 mph for the
> > 	first mile, how fast do you have to drive the second mile in
> > 	order to average 60 mph?
>
> There are two simple answers.
>
> a) You cannot travel fast enough.  You have already consumed the entire
>    two minutes required to average 60 mph over the time it takes to make
>    the trip.
>
> b) 90 mph.  You will then have travelled an average of 60 mph over the
>    DISTANCE of the trip.
>
> There probably are other measures possible as well.
> --
>
> Mike Huybensz		...decvax!genrad!mit-eddie!cybvax0!mrh

I don't believe that the second solution would work as 'mph' stands for
Miles Per Hour, so the average 60 miles is measured over time, NOT
DISTANCE.  I think (a) is the only possible answer.

Shu-Ju