[net.puzzle] Yet another weighing problem

aff@duke.UUCP (Amr F. Fahmy) (04/18/85)

All right guys here is another weighing problem. If nobody posts the solution
within a week I'll post mine. Enjoy it :

	A piece of gold weighing 40 pounds was dropped and broken into 4
	pieces. It was broken in such a way that you can, using the 4
	pieces, weigh anything weighing from 1 up to 40 pounds. For example
        something weighing 5 pounds could be weighed using one piece of
	gold weighing 15 pounds and another weighing 10 pounds.

	What are the weights of the 4 pieces ?

	How about generalizing it, lets assume that the gold originally
	weighed K pounds and was broken into n pieces, what are the weights
	of the n pieces given that the above property still holds ?

        Note: I do not know (yet) the solution to the second one.

                                              Amr Fawzy Fahmy

CSNet : aff@duke

jak@talcott.UUCP (Joe Konstan) (04/20/85)

> 	A piece of gold weighing 40 pounds was dropped and broken into 4
> 	pieces. It was broken in such a way that you can, using the 4
> 	pieces, weigh anything weighing from 1 up to 40 pounds. For example
>         something weighing 5 pounds could be weighed using one piece of
> 	gold weighing 15 pounds and another weighing 10 pounds.
>
> 	What are the weights of the 4 pieces ?

Easy one:  1, 3, 9, and 27 pounds:

    to way 2, put 1 on the side with the stuff, 3 on other side
    similarly for 5, 6, 7, ...

> 	How about generalizing it, lets assume that the gold originally
> 	weighed K pounds and was broken into n pieces, what are the weights
> 	of the n pieces given that the above property still holds ?
>
>         Note: I do not know (yet) the solution to the second one.

In general, we want to break it into blocks of 3^n for n going from
0 up as high as possible.  I think that leaving the leftover as just one
block will be good enough to weigh everything, by always using that
block for weights above it.

Mithrandir
jak@talcott

wws@whuxlm.UUCP (Stoll W William) (04/20/85)

> All right guys here is another weighing problem. If nobody posts the solution
> within a week I'll post mine. Enjoy it :
>
> 	A piece of gold weighing 40 pounds was dropped and broken into 4
> 	pieces. It was broken in such a way that you can, using the 4
> 	pieces, weigh anything weighing from 1 up to 40 pounds. For example
>         something weighing 5 pounds could be weighed using one piece of
> 	gold weighing 15 pounds and another weighing 10 pounds.
>
> 	What are the weights of the 4 pieces ?

1, 3, 9, 27 pounds

> 	How about generalizing it, lets assume that the gold originally
> 	weighed K pounds and was broken into n pieces, what are the weights
> 	of the n pieces given that the above property still holds ?
>
>         Note: I do not know (yet) the solution to the second one.

Neither do I, but my gut instinct is that it can't be done.

>                                               Amr Fawzy Fahmy
>
> CSNet : aff@duke

Bill Stoll, ..!whuxlm!wws

muffy@lll-crg.ARPA (Muffy Barkocy) (04/22/85)

In article <419@talcott.UUCP> jak@talcott.UUCP (Joe Konstan) writes:
>> 	A piece of gold weighing 40 pounds was dropped and broken into 4
>> 	pieces. It was broken in such a way that you can, using the 4
>> 	pieces, weigh anything weighing from 1 up to 40 pounds. For example
>>         something weighing 5 pounds could be weighed using one piece of
>> 	gold weighing 15 pounds and another weighing 10 pounds.
>
>> 	How about generalizing it, lets assume that the gold originally
>> 	weighed K pounds and was broken into n pieces, what are the weights
>> 	of the n pieces given that the above property still holds ?
>>
>>         Note: I do not know (yet) the solution to the second one.
>
>In general, we want to break it into blocks of 3^n for n going from
>0 up as high as possible.  I think that leaving the leftover as just one
>block will be good enough to weigh everything, by always using that
>block for weights above it.
>
>Mithrandir
>jak@talcott

Yes, but...suppose the problem is: break a 40-lb block into *5* pieces?
Then, using 3^n, we get 1 3 9 27 *0*.  How would you do this?  I assume
that any of them could just be broken in two, but your answer should have
included this case.

                         Muffy