[net.puzzle] needed:algorithm

suna@aecom.UUCP (David Suna) (04/17/85)

One of my computer teachers presented this problem to the class.
I am looking for an efficient algorithm to be run on a VAX11/780.

Find the smallest integer which can be broken up into:

		a^4 + b^4 = k
		c^4 + d^4 = k

I have heard that there was a paper written by Russian mathematicians
but i haven't found it yet.

Replies should please be sent to :
		...{philabs,cucard,pegasus,ihnp4,rocky2}!aecom!suna

						Thanx in advance,
							David Suna

bs@faron.UUCP (Robert D. Silverman) (04/20/85)

> One of my computer teachers presented this problem to the class.
> I am looking for an efficient algorithm to be run on a VAX11/780.
>
> Find the smallest integer which can be broken up into:
>
> 		a^4 + b^4 = k
> 		c^4 + d^4 = k
>
> I have heard that there was a paper written by Russian mathematicians
> but i haven't found it yet.
>
> Replies should please be sent to :
> 		...{philabs,cucard,pegasus,ihnp4,rocky2}!aecom!suna
>

> 						Thanx in advance,
> 							David Suna

I'll start by giving you a hint: since it's the sum of two fourth powers
and must be odd it is necessarily of the form 8n+1.

eppstein@columbia.UUCP (David Eppstein) (04/21/85)

> One of my computer teachers presented this problem to the class.
> I am looking for an efficient algorithm to be run on a VAX11/780.
>
> Find the smallest integer which can be broken up into:
>
> 		a^4 + b^4 = k
> 		c^4 + d^4 = k

Since you just want one number, the most efficient algorithm I can think
of to print it out is a single printf().  Or did you want to solve all
such problems (including Fermat's last theorem)?  In the latter case I
have to warn you that I think it's been proven undecidable (no not
Fermat, the general problem).

gjerawlins@watdaisy.UUCP (Gregory J.E. Rawlins) (04/21/85)

In article <288@faron.UUCP> bs@faron.UUCP (Robert D. Silverman) writes:
>> Find the smallest integer which can be broken up into:
>> 		a^4 + b^4 = k
>> 		c^4 + d^4 = k
>> 							David Suna
>
>I'll start by giving you a hint: since it's the sum of two fourth powers
>and must be odd it is necessarily of the form 8n+1.

	The reasoning behind this conclusion escapes me. Why must it
be odd?
--
Gregory J.E. Rawlins, Department of Computer Science, U. Waterloo
{allegra|clyde|linus|inhp4|decvax}!watmath!watdaisy!gjerawlins

gjerawlins@watdaisy.UUCP (Gregory J.E. Rawlins) (04/22/85)

In article <1418@aecom.UUCP> suna@aecom.UUCP (David Suna) writes:
>I am looking for an efficient algorithm to be run on a VAX11/780.
>Find the smallest integer which can be broken up into:
>		a^4 + b^4 = k
>		c^4 + d^4 = k
>I have heard that there was a paper written by Russian mathematicians
>but i haven't found it yet.

    A partial solution to this problem can be found in Hardy and
Littlewood's "The theory of Numbers" 4th ed, O.U.P. 1960. I don't
know of any paper on this problem written by Russians, the above
reference is the only one i have. The smallest solution is
           133^4 + 134^4 = 158^4 + 59^4
    On page 201, Hardy and Littlewood give an algorithm for
generating infinitely many such solutions.
Let:
A = a^7 ;           B = a^6 * b ;       C = a^5 * b^2 ;     D = 3 * C
E = 2 * a^3 * b^4 ; F = 2 * a^4 * b^3 ; G = 3 * a^2 * b^5 ; H = G / 3
I = a * b^6 ;       J = b^7
then
	x = A + C - E + G + I
	y = B - D - F + H + J
	u = A + C - E - G + I
	v = B + D - F + H + J
is a solution to x^4 + y^4 = u^4 + v^4 for all a,b.
    If anyone knows of any more recent work on this problem
please post it.
--

bs@faron.UUCP (Robert D. Silverman) (04/24/85)

> In article <288@faron.UUCP> bs@faron.UUCP (Robert D. Silverman) writes:
> >> Find the smallest integer which can be broken up into:
> >> 		a^4 + b^4 = k
> >> 		c^4 + d^4 = k
> >> 							David Suna
> >
> >I'll start by giving you a hint: since it's the sum of two fourth powers
> >and must be odd it is necessarily of the form 8n+1.
>
> 	The reasoning behind this conclusion escapes me. Why must it
> be odd?
> --
> Gregory J.E. Rawlins, Department of Computer Science, U. Waterloo
> {allegra|clyde|linus|inhp4|decvax}!watmath!watdaisy!gjerawlins

It's fairly simple: assume k is even. Then we have one of two cases either
a and b must be even or a and b must be odd. Either assumption leads to
a simple algebraic demonstration by infinite descent that there must be
a smaller solution.

bprice@bmcg.UUCP (Bill Price) (04/26/85)

> >I am looking for an efficient algorithm to be run on a VAX11/780.
> >Find the smallest integer which can be broken up into:
> >		a^4 + b^4 = k
> >		c^4 + d^4 = k
> >I have heard that there was a paper written by Russian mathematicians
> >but i haven't found it yet.
>  ^^^ ^ ^^^^^^^ ^^^^^ ^^ ^^^
>                                   The smallest solution is
>            133^4 + 134^4 = 158^4 + 59^4

Yes, you have:  the algorithm seems to start with the word "postnews"....

--Bill Price
--
--Bill Price  uucp:  {Most Anybody}!sdcsvax!bmcg!bprice
              arpa:? sdcsvax!bmcg!bprice@nosc

chuck@dartvax.UUCP (Chuck Simmons) (04/27/85)

> > >I'll start by giving you a hint: since it's the sum of two fourth powers
> > >and must be odd it is necessarily of the form 8n+1.
> >
> > 	The reasoning behind this conclusion escapes me. Why must it
> > be odd?
>
> It's fairly simple: assume k is even. Then we have one of two cases either
> a and b must be even or a and b must be odd. Either assumption leads to
> a simple algebraic demonstration by infinite descent that there must be
> a smaller solution.

Call me dense, but this little "hint" doesn't do anything for me.  I see
3 cases:  clearly a = b mod 2 and c = d mod 2.  So the 3 cases are
a even, c even; a odd, c odd; a even, c odd.

I can handle the first of these cases.  But for the rest, I remain clueless.

Could you provide a slightly more elaborate hint?

-- Chuck Simmons