[net.puzzle] Use of net.puzzle

gjerawlins@watdaisy.UUCP (Gregory J.E. Rawlins) (05/01/85)

In article <2052@uvacs.UUCP> dsr@uvacs.UUCP (Dana S. Richards) writes:
>I am not always in tune with netiquette and how and why people use the net.
>Do people who post puzzles do so in the spirit of a ice-breaker or are they
>really looking for the best answer or better, are they looking for
>references.   I prefer the latter, but I am a stick in the mud sometimes.
>[.....]
    I was puzzled by this myself; almost all of the puzzles i've
seen on net.puzzle are well known (to me anyway) so i conclude either
i know many more puzzles that a whole lot of people (unlikely) or
net.puzzle is to be used for ice-breakers, and that's the way i
treat it, i only post a solution if the problem is pretty difficult
or obscure and no one else has after a long period. Any consense here?
--
Gregory J.E. Rawlins, Department of Computer Science, U. Waterloo
{allegra|clyde|linus|inhp4|decvax}!watmath!watdaisy!gjerawlins