[net.puzzle] still more word games

evan@petfe.UUCP (Evan Marcus) (04/25/85)

Let me offer a few word games...
1) Name a word that contains all 6 (aeiouy) vowels exactly once, in order,
   although among other letters.  (I know of 2, though I've heard there are 3)

2) Name a word whose pronounciation changes if it is capitalized.

3) There may be lots of answers to this one, but let me try...
name a word that is a plural (ends with an S), and if we add another S,
it takes on an entirely different meaning.

Rotsa ruck...
--Evan Marcus

--

{ucbvax|decvax}|vax135|petsd|pedsgd|pedsga|evan

There are two kinds of people in the world, those who divide people into two
kinds, and those who don't.

bobn@bmcg.UUCP (Bob Nebert) (04/30/85)

> Let me offer a few word games...
> 1) Name a word that contains all 6 (aeiouy) vowels exactly once, in order,
>    although among other letters.  (I know of 2, though I've heard there are 3)
>
> 2) Name a word whose pronounciation changes if it is capitalized.
   You polish your shoes but if you were born in Warsaw your Polish

muffy@lll-crg.ARPA (Muffy Barkocy) (05/01/85)

In article <236@petfe.UUCP> evan@petfe.UUCP (Evan Marcus) writes:

>Let me offer a few word games...
>3) There may be lots of answers to this one, but let me try...
>name a word that is a plural (ends with an S), and if we add another S,
>it takes on an entirely different meaning.

   needles > needless

>Rotsa ruck...
>--Evan Marcus

                   Muffy

gjk@talcott.UUCP (Greg Kuperberg) (05/02/85)

> 2) Name a word whose pronounciation changes if it is capitalized.
> --Evan Marcus

Easy.  It's the name of my ethnic group:  Polish.

But there is a better answer.  "communist" is pronounced "kom' you nist",
while "Communist" is pronounced "kom' ee".
--
			Greg Kuperberg
		     harvard!talcott!gjk

"The eerily accurate drawing of Goetz showed the face of the 'before'
figure in comic-book ads for body-building devices."-Time Magazine, April 8

mie@panda.UUCP (Martin I. Eiger) (05/05/85)

> name a word that is a plural (ends with an S), and if we add another S,
> it takes on an entirely different meaning.

I came up with a few.  In addition to needles(s), which has already been
posted, I have:

	asses	assess
	bas	bass
	bras	brass
	cares	caress
	dos	doss
	las	lass
	mis	miss
	mus	muss
	pis	piss
	princes	princess

Depending on which dictionary you like, some of these might not work.

                                                Martin Eiger
                                                ...genrad!teddy!mie

showard@udenva.UUCP (showard) (05/08/85)

> > name a word that is a plural (ends with an S), and if we add another S,
> > it takes on an entirely different meaning.
>
> I came up with a few.  In addition to needles(s), which has already been
> posted, I have:
>
> 	asses	assess
> 	bas	bass
> 	bras	brass