[net.puzzle] Opposites

jayt@ssc-vax.UUCP (Jay T McCanta) (05/07/85)

How about words which are antonyms of themselves?  I know of one, but
there may be others.  Just in case there aren't, I'll wait to post my
answer.

     I HATE CENTRAL EXPRESSWAY ...
                                 ... and I live in Seattle.
Jay T. McCanta
Boeing Aerospace     These ideas are mine and I claim them.
Kent, Wa.            My employer may not want to share in claiming.

{uw-beaver|adiron|cesonix|argus|purdue}!ssc-vax!jayt

js2j@mhuxt.UUCP (sonntag) (05/07/85)

> How about words which are antonyms of themselves?  I know of one, but
> there may be others.  Just in case there aren't, I'll wait to post my
> answer.
> Jay T. McCanta

    Do you mean words like 'monosyllabic'?
--
Jeff Sonntag
ihnp4!mhuxt!js2j

evan@petfe.UUCP (Evan Marcus) (05/08/85)

The only word that is an opposite of itself that I know of is 'cleave',
meaning both to cut and to join together.  I know there are others,
but I'll leave them to those wiser than myself.

--Evan Marcus
--

{ucbvax|decvax}!vax135!petsd!pedsgd!pedsga!evan
                         ...!petfe!evan

There are two kinds of people in the world, those who divide people into two
kinds, and those who don't.

jayt@ssc-vax.UUCP (Jay T McCanta) (05/08/85)

> The only word that is an opposite of itself that I know of is 'cleave',
> meaning both to cut and to join together.  I know there are others,
> but I'll leave them to those wiser than myself.

that is the word that I was thinking of.  any others?

     The proper way to eat potato chips is with a knife and fork ...
            ... a fish knife and an oyster fork.      Miss Manners
Jay T. McCanta
Boeing Aerospace     These ideas are mine and I claim them.
Kent, Wa.            My employer may not want to share in claiming.

{uw-beaver|adiron|cesonix|argus|purdue}!ssc-vax!jayt

> The only word that is an opposite of itself that I know of is 'cleave',

How about "nonselfdescriptive"?

ron@brl-tgr.ARPA (Ron Natalie <ron>) (05/09/85)

> The only word that is an opposite of itself that I know of is 'cleave',
> meaning both to cut and to join together.  I know there are others,
> but I'll leave them to those wiser than myself.

I always wonder about words such as pitted, shelled, and seeded.

-Ron

adm@cbneb.UUCP (05/09/85)

How about homonyms like raise and raze (as in raise(raze) a building)?

>  There are two kinds of people in the world, those who divide people into two
>  kinds, and those who don't.
>  /* ---------- */

	There is one kind of person in this world,
	those who make dichotomies and those who don't.

jagardner@watmath.UUCP (Jim Gardner) (05/09/85)

[...]

The word "trim" is also its own opposite in certain instances.
When you trim a tree, you cut things off; but when you trim a
Christmas tree, you put things on.

				Jim Gardner, University of Waterloo

beth@sphinx.UChicago.UUCP (beth d. christy) (05/10/85)

>[From: js2j@mhuxt.UUCP (sonntag), Message-ID: <831@mhuxt.UUCP>]
>
>> How about words which are antonyms of themselves?  I know of one, but
>> there may be others.  Just in case there aren't, I'll wait to post my
>> answer.
>> Jay T. McCanta
>
>    Do you mean words like 'monosyllabic'?
>--
>Jeff Sonntag

I think he means words like "cleave":
  1  ) to adhere closely; stick; cling  \
  2.4) to part or split, esp. along a    > The Random House College
       a natural line of division       /      Dictionary, Revised Edition

--JB                                                 "The giant is awake."

ccs020@ucdavis.UUCP (Kevin Chu) (05/10/85)

> > The only word that is an opposite of itself that I know of is 'cleave',
>
> How about "nonselfdescriptive"?

How about "meaningless"?

pmontgom@sdcrdcf.UUCP (Peter Montgomery) (05/11/85)

	How about "The alarm went off".
--
			Peter Montgomery

	{aero,allegra,bmcg,burdvax,hplabs,
	 ihnp4,psivax,randvax,sdcsvax,trwrb}!sdcrdcf!pmontgom

Don't blame me for the crowded freeways - I don't drive.