[net.puzzle] words and their opposites

osman@sprite.DEC (Eric, 617 273-7484, Burlington, Ma. 01803, USA) (05/13/85)

I know of some cases where something seems like it ought to be an opposite
but it's not.  For instance,

	What's the difference between LOOSENing your shoelaces and
	UNLOOSENING your shoelaces ?

For another example,

	We chop trees DOWN and then we chop them UP !

Douglas Hofstadter was once asking readers to submit a particular brand
of sentence (probably a self-referential one), and his request started
like this:

	Submit a not unreasonably long sentence that . . .

He went on to comment that "not unreasonably long" does NOT mean he's
looking for "reasonably long" ones !

Then of course there are synonyms that sound like antonyms, such as

	flammable vs. inflammable.

And personally, I can NEVER remember which way the words

	sectarian, non-secular, nonsectarian, secular mean.

Not to mention the word

	nonplussed.

/Eric

training@rtech.ARPA (Training account) (05/14/85)

> I know of some cases where something seems like it ought to be an opposite
> but it's not.  For instance,
>
> 	What's the difference between LOOSENing your shoelaces and
> 	UNLOOSENING your shoelaces ?
>
> For another example,
>
> 	We chop trees DOWN and then we chop them UP !

My French teacher told us that when he was teaching English in France,
his students just couldn't understand why "THE HOUSE BURNED DOWN" means
exactly the same thing as "THE HOUSE BURNED UP."

Robert Orenstein
Relational Technology

krs@amdahl.UUCP (Kris Stephens) (05/15/85)

> > 	What's the difference between LOOSENing your shoelaces and
> > 	UNLOOSENING your shoelaces ?

I daresay "unloosening" bothers me as much as "irregardless".
("Not without regard"??  Reminds me of "I could care less".)  Yes, the
American Heritage Dictionary lists "unloose(n)", but I shiver whenever I
hear or read it. (Brrr.)  They do, however, refer to "irregardless" as
"Nonstandard" and "Never to be used other than with humorous intent".

> > 	We chop trees DOWN and then we chop them UP !

> "THE HOUSE BURNED DOWN" means exactly the same thing as
> "THE HOUSE BURNED UP."

Right!  Flammable items are inflammable, 'though I suspect "inflammable"
comes from "enflame" and should probably have been spelled "enflammable".

My mother's favorite mix-up is "reckless" and "wreckless", as auditory
opposites.  She'd gladly be accused of wreckless driving.

--
Kris Stephens     (408-746-6047)                 {whatever}!amdahl!krs
     [The opinions expressed above are mine, solely, and do not    ]

pnv@homxa.UUCP (P.VERMA) (05/18/85)

>> I know of some cases where something seems like it ought to be an opposite
>> but it's not.  For instance,
>>
>> 	What's the difference between LOOSENing your shoelaces and
>> 	UNLOOSENING your shoelaces ?
>>
>> For another example,
>>
>> 	We chop trees DOWN and then we chop them UP !
>
>My French teacher told us that when he was teaching English in France,
>his students just couldn't understand why "THE HOUSE BURNED DOWN" means
>exactly the same thing as "THE HOUSE BURNED UP."
>
>Robert Orenstein
>Relational Technology

In India, the opposite of "postpone" is widely accepted to be "prepone". Even
newspapers use this apparently correct word.  However, I have not been able to
locate it in any dictionary.

Raghu Yadavalli
AT&T Bell Laboratories,
Holmdel,  New Jersey

leban@hplabsb.UUCP (05/29/85)

From: Roy_Leban%UMich-MTS.Mailnet@MIT-MULTICS

     From /The American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language/:

     scan v. -tr  1. To examine (a small area) closely; scrutinize.
                  5. To look over or leaf through hastily.

     Usage: Scan (transitive verb) is applicable both to close examination
     of something and to quick inspection.  The context in which it appears
     must make clear which of these opposing senses is intended if ambiguity
     is to be prevented.

The word "bad" is also sometimes its own opposite.

Bruce Leban    hplabs!leban

todds@orca.UUCP (Todd Stewart) (06/01/85)

> From: training@rtech.ARPA (Training account)
> Subject: Re: words and their opposites
> Date: 14 May 85 15:10:06 GMT
> > For another example,
> >
> > 	We chop trees DOWN and then we chop them UP !

> My French teacher told us that when he was teaching English in France,
> his students just couldn't understand why "THE HOUSE BURNED DOWN" means
> exactly the same thing as "THE HOUSE BURNED UP."

> Robert Orenstein
> Relational Technology

Doesn't the UP imply that the house was consumed by the fire, while
the DOWN implies that the house was leveled (razed, given 0 height (-:
).  I suspect that the distinction is similar for the tree-chopping
example.

                                        Dave
                                        "ice on vax bang dps"
                                        Friday, 5.17

--

	Todd Stewart
	(503) 685 2508

	{ ucbcad,decvax,hplabs,uw-beaver }!tektronix!orca!todds

art@think.ARPA (Art Medlar) (06/04/85)

This discussion is Priceless!!!

But what about words that are their opposite
with the letters rearranged?  Three that come
to mind are UNTIE --> UNITE,
CASUAL --> CAUSAL, and (pushing it slightly)
PRESERVATIVE --> PERVERSATIVE

Art Medlar
Thinking Machines Corporation
Cambridge, Massachusetts
(617) 876-1111

pablo@dartvax.UUCP (David Cohn) (06/05/85)

[wogga]

I remember flying on a particular, unnamed airline a few years back and
noticing that the baggage cart that loaded the airplane had had two of
the letters on its logo reversed. The side of it said:
                 "UNTIED AIRLINES"
Perhaps that's a bit more pertinent nowadays....

______________
David Cohn (pablo@dartvax)

arnold@ucsfcgl.UUCP (Ken Arnold%CGL) (06/06/85)

In article <1542@orca.UUCP> todds@orca.UUCP (Todd Stewart) writes:
>> > 	We chop trees DOWN and then we chop them UP !
>> My French teacher told us that when he was teaching English in France,
>> his students just couldn't understand why "THE HOUSE BURNED DOWN" means
>> exactly the same thing as "THE HOUSE BURNED UP."
>Doesn't the UP imply that the house was consumed by the fire, while
>the DOWN implies that the house was leveled (razed, given 0 height (-:
>).  I suspect that the distinction is similar for the tree-chopping
>example.

The only generally available (and even then not very generally) work
on this field is "Metaphors We Live By", by G. Lakehoff and sombody
(my copy is at home; I can provide more particulars on request).
Unfortuantely, this form of trailing modifier (whose technical name
escapes me) is not very well covered in the book; the field of language
metaphor is rather recent.

Todd's summary for this is basically right.  Unfortunately describing
how these metaphors seem to work is best done with pictures, not words,
so until everybody gets a standard graphics scope on their desk to read
news with....

One of the more fascinating things is how the opposites you normally
associate with a word are sometimes wrong.  For example the opposite
of "out" is "in", is it not?
		We rolled the carpet out.
		We rolled the carpet up.
Well, maybe not always...

		Ken Arnold

dgary@ecsvax.UUCP (D Gary Grady) (06/06/85)

The "UNTIED AIRLINES" sign on the baggage cart was, I suspect, a
deliberate joke by an employee.  Some employees are like that.  For
years somebody at the Kroger near Duke has been turning off the K and
the R in the sign and leaving OGER.

Which brings up an interesting puzzle:  What other famous signs can be
amusingly corrupted by selective darkening of individual letters?
--
D Gary Grady
Duke U Comp Center, Durham, NC  27706

dgary@ecsvax.UUCP (D Gary Grady) (06/08/85)

This worked better back in the days of disco, but...

In the morning we get up, and at night we get down.

Yours funkily,
--
D Gary Grady
Duke U Comp Center, Durham, NC  27706
(919) 684-3695
USENET:  {seismo,decvax,ihnp4,akgua,etc.}!mcnc!ecsvax!dgary

> Which brings up an interesting puzzle:  What other famous signs can be
> amusingly corrupted by selective darkening of individual letters?

After a hurricane in Pasadena, TX, a SHELL service station had lost the S.

rlr@avsdS.UUCP (Rhode L. Roberts) (06/11/85)

> Which brings up an interesting puzzle:  What other famous signs can be
> amusingly corrupted by selective darkening of individual letters?

	In the Bay Area of San Francisco Ca. along highway
	101, a sign can be seen;

		SAN JOSE STEEL COMPANY

	At Christmas time, and at night when the sign is lit,
	selected letters have been turned off to read;

		  N  O     E L

matt@oddjob.UUCP (Matt Crawford) (06/12/85)

In article <1429@ecsvax.UUCP> dgary@ecsvax.UUCP (D Gary Grady) writes:
>Which brings up an interesting puzzle:  What other famous signs can be
>amusingly corrupted by selective darkening of individual letters?

My friend oddjob!adrian sent to the National Lampoon a photo of
a sign advertising:

	CHRIST AS DINNER WITH
	  ALL THE TRIMMINGS

You can guess what letter had been lost.
Matt		University	crawford@anl-mcs.arpa
Crawford	of Chicago	ihnp4!oddjob!matt

steve@siemens.UUCP (06/12/85)

****** WARNING ******

The following might, in some bizarre set of circumstances, offend an
incredibly offendable person.

In a small town near where I grew up, someone would always remove the H
and the n on the sign at the edge of town that was supposed to read
"Welcome to Hancock".

jt@nrcvax.UUCP (Jerry Toporek) (06/23/85)

In article <1429@ecsvax.UUCP> dgary@ecsvax.UUCP (D Gary Grady) writes:
>The "UNTIED AIRLINES" sign on the baggage cart was, I suspect, a
>deliberate joke by an employee.  Some employees are like that.  For
>years somebody at the Kroger near Duke has been turning off the K and
>the R in the sign and leaving OGER.
>
>Which brings up an interesting puzzle:  What other famous signs can be
>amusingly corrupted by selective darkening of individual letters?

My favorite has always been at the Ramada Inn by the airport in Rochester, NY.
The bar there was a notorious pick-up joint.  For some reason they couldn't
keep the last "A" lit, so the sign would bekon to folks on their way home on
the expressway: "RAMAD  INN".

wjhe@hlexa.UUCP (Bill Hery) (06/27/85)

(w)reckless driving ?

avr@CS-Mordred (Andrew V Royappa) (07/05/85)

>Which brings up an interesting puzzle:  What other famous signs can be
>amusingly corrupted by selective darkening of individual letters?

Here in West Lafayette there's a place called the "FOOD BAR" (in
big neon letters). The D was off, though leaving "FOO  BAR".

					Andrew Royappa
					Purdue University CS Department
				{ihnp4, pur-ee, decvax, ucbvax}!purdue!avr

glen@intelca.UUCP (Glen Shires) (07/11/85)

> >Which brings up an interesting puzzle:  What other famous signs can be
> >amusingly corrupted by selective darkening of individual letters?

A nearby restaurant actually darkened letters on purpose:

In Santa Clara, CA (at Lawrence and El Camino) there was once a place called:

	LUTHER'S
	  BBQ

Well, I guess Luther got bought out, because it's now simply:

	  THE
	  BBQ

--
^ ^    Glen Shires, Intel, Santa Clara, Ca.
O O     Usenet: {ucbvax!amd,pur-ee,hplabs}!intelca!glen
 >      ARPA:   "amd!intelca!glen"@BERKELEY
\-/    --- stay mellow