[net.puzzle] Yet Another U.S. Geography Quiz

plw@panda.UUCP (Pete Williamson) (07/23/85)

	I am told that there is only one area in the United States from
where one can go due North, due South, due East, or due West; cross the
state line; and end up in the same neighboring state in all four cases.

	Get out your maps, people!!

--
						Pete Williamson
"By hook or by crook, we will !!" ... #2

matt@oddjob.UUCP (Matt Crawford) (07/26/85)

In article <643@panda.UUCP> plw@genrad.UUCP (Pete Williamson) writes:

>	I am told that there is only one area in the United States from
>where one can go due North, due South, due East, or due West; cross the
>state line; and end up in the same neighboring state in all four cases.

You are told wrong.  I see lots of such places along the Montana-
Idaho border and along the Mississippi river.

>						Pete Williamson
>"By hook or by crook, we will !!" ... #2

"Whose side are you on?" ... #6
Matt		University	crawford@anl-mcs.arpa
Crawford	of Chicago	ihnp4!oddjob!matt

bobhic@aluxe.UUCP (ADOLT) (07/26/85)

> 	I am told that there is only one area in the United States from
> where one can go due North, due South, due East, or due West; cross the
> state line; and end up in the same neighboring state in all four cases.
>
> 	Get out your maps, people!!
>

> --
> 						Pete Williamson
> "By hook or by crook, we will !!" ... #2

Don't think I need a map -
How about the southeastern part of the eastern panhandle of
West-by-God-Virginia from which you would end up in Maryland
(if you had a passport :-) )
Bob Adolt (a transplanted Hillbilly)

tan@ihlpg.UUCP (Bill Tanenbaum - AT&T Bell Labs - Naperville IL) (07/27/85)

> 	I am told that there is only one area in the United States from
> where one can go due North, due South, due East, or due West; cross the
> state line; and end up in the same neighboring state in all four cases.
> 	Get out your maps, people!!
> 						Pete Williamson
There are literally hundreds of such places.  Look along any irregular
border, such as the Mississippi or Ohio rivers.  However, most of these
areas are very small.
There is one area, however, that is of significant size.   It contains
over 150,000 people.  Perhaps with this addendum we now have a
real puzzle.
--
Bill Tanenbaum - AT&T Bell Labs - Naperville IL  ihnp4!ihlpg!tan

ags@pucc-h (Dave Seaman) (07/30/85)

The southwestern corner of Connecticut (including Stamford and Greenwich)
is surrounded in all four compass directions by New York.  In particular,
the eastward path intersects Long Island near its eastern end.

Parts of Alaska have the property that you can travel in any of the four
compass directions and circumnavigate the globe without meeting any state
but Alaska.  All of Alaska had this property during the year or so when
Alaska was a state but Hawaii wasn't.

Next question:  Who can think of a place that is part of one state but
is completely surrounded by another state?  There is absolutely no way
to get out without passing through the other state, short of going straight
up.  I know of two such places.  Whoever gets this will have part of the
answer to the "disconnected states" puzzle which I posted recently.
--
Dave Seaman			 ..!pur-ee!pucc-h:ags