[net.puzzle] Word Islands

eklhad@ihnet.UUCP (K. A. Dahlke) (07/17/85)

since word/letter puzzles seem popular, here  is one.
Allow me to impose a distance metric on the words in the english language.
Two words differing by N letters are N units apart.
Examples:  D(dog, dog) = 0,  D(horse, house) = 1,
	D(drugs, irate) = 4.
Words are left justified, blank filled, so D(horse, horsefly) = 3.
My question concerns islands, that is, words that
are not close to any other words.  What is the shortest word
that has no neighbors (words one unit distance away).
Most nouns and verbs are disqualified quickly, since appending an 's' makes
valid plurals and conjugations.
Words like "quiz" look promising, but then there is "quit" and "quip".
After some thought, there are startlingly few islands,
and I haven't found a reasonably short one yet.
What about 2-islands, words that have no neighboring words 1 or 2 units away.
Generalize as far as you wish.
Any thoughts welcome.
--
	I never know what to put in these damn .signature files.
	Everybody expects me to be clever, or profound, or cute, or funny.

warack@aero.ARPA (Chris Warack ) (07/24/85)

In article <258@ihnet.UUCP> eklhad@ihnet.UUCP (K. A. Dahlke) writes:
>since word/letter puzzles seem popular, here  is one.
>Allow me to impose a distance metric on the words in the english language.
>Two words differing by N letters are N units apart.
>Examples:  D(dog, dog) = 0,  D(horse, house) = 1,
>	D(drugs, irate) = 4.
>Words are left justified, blank filled, so D(horse, horsefly) = 3.
>My question concerns islands, that is, words that
>are not close to any other words.  What is the shortest word
>that has no neighbors (words one unit distance away).
>		Karl Dahlke    ihnp4!ihnet!eklhad

How about "ivy."  The plural is also ivy.  Replacing the first letter
[vowel] yields 'avy, evy, ovy, uvy and yvy,' none of which I recognize as
words.  The second letter --> 'iay,iby,icy,idy,iey,ify,igy,ihy,iiy,ijy,iky,
ily,imy,iny,ioy,ipy,iqy,iry,isy,ity,iuy,iwy,ixy,iyy,izy.'  And, the last
letter [vowel] --> 'iva,ive,ivi,ivo,ivu.'  I can't thing of a single letter
to add to the end.  Thus, this seems to be an island by the above definition.

If I'm wrong, please respond by mail.  If you noticed it, so did a 1000
others.  I promise to notify the net myself.

--
 _______
|/-----\|    Chris Warack			(213) 648-6617
||hello||
|-------|    warack@aero.UUCP
|_______|         sdcsvax!sdcrdcf!trwrb!trwrba!aero!warack
 ^^^ ^^^  `---------(|=

steve@siemens.UUCP (07/29/85)

>>Allow me to impose a distance metric on the words in the english language.
>
>How about "ivy."  The plural is also ivy.  Replacing the first letter
>[vowel] yields 'avy, evy, ovy, uvy and yvy,' none of which I recognize as
>words.  The second letter --> 'iay,iby,icy,idy,iey,ify,igy,ihy,iiy,ijy,iky,
                                        ^^^
> _______
>|/-----\|    Chris Warack			(213) 648-6617
>||hello||
>||     ||    warack@aerospace.ARPA
>|-------|    warack@aero.UUCP
>|@  ___ |       seismo!harvard!talcott!panda!genrad!decvax!ittatc!dcdwest!
>|_______|         sdcsvax!sdcrdcf!trwrb!trwrba!aero!warack
>  || ||  \   Aerospace Corporation, M1-117, El Segundo, CA  90245
> ^^^ ^^^  `---------(|=

No wonder.  You're from California, you've never seen REAL weather.
(The type that only REAL men can handle.)

peter@kitty.UUCP (Peter DaSilva) (07/31/85)

> >My question concerns islands, that is, words that
> >are not close to any other words.  What is the shortest word
> >that has no neighbors (words one unit distance away).
> >		Karl Dahlke    ihnp4!ihnet!eklhad
>
> How about "ivy." ...

Icy is a word. As in "the roads are icy today, so drive carefully".

dsr@uvacs.UUCP (Dana S. Richards) (07/31/85)

> >>Allow me to impose a distance metric on the words in the english language.

I missed the original posting. Could someone repost it?

mjb@utah-gr.UUCP (Mark Bradakis) (08/05/85)

In article <300@aero.ARPA> warack@aero.UUCP (Chris Warack (5734)) writes:
>In article <258@ihnet.UUCP> eklhad@ihnet.UUCP (K. A. Dahlke) writes:
>How about "ivy."  The plural is also ivy.  Replacing the first letter

Too bad Chris isn't a climber: he'd remember some god-awful icy bivy.

--
No matter where I go, I get there late or come too soon!
 ... !utah-cs!mjb