[net.misc] Anyone know where this saying came from?

roy@gitpyr.UUCP (Roy J. Mongiovi) (01/21/85)

How about the saying "the whole nine yards"?
Does anyone know what it was derived from?

I mean, shouldn't that be 10 yards?
--
Roy J. Mongiovi.	Office of Computing Services.		User Services.
Georgia Institute of Technology.	Atlanta GA  30332.	(404) 894-6163

	  Who me?  I'm not even a REAL modo, I'm only a quasi-modo.

markb@sdcrdcf.UUCP (Mark Biggar) (01/22/85)

In article <39@gitpyr.UUCP> roy@gitpyr.UUCP (Roy J. Mongiovi) writes:
>How about the saying "the whole nine yards"?
>Does anyone know what it was derived from?
>
>I mean, shouldn't that be 10 yards?
>--
>Roy J. Mongiovi.	Office of Computing Services.		User Services.

This saying come from the fact that a standard dump truck (or cement truck
I don't remember which) carries 9 cubic yards of dirt (or cement).
Thus, "the whole nine yards" means you want the total contents of the
truck load, and has evolved into a saying meaning "the whole thing".

Mark Biggar
{allegra,burdvax,cbosgd,hplabs,ihnp4,akgua,sdcsvax}!sdcrdcf!markb

drp@ptsfb.UUCP (Dale Pederson) (01/23/85)

> How about the saying "the whole nine yards"?
> Does anyone know what it was derived from?
> I mean, shouldn't that be 10 yards?

I was told that it came from the fact that the intestinal tract
is nine yards (or so) long if unwound ...  So if you go the full
nine yards you've been through all the sh*t.

wildbill@ucbvax.ARPA (William J. Laubenheimer) (01/24/85)

>How about the saying "the whole nine yards"?
>Does anyone know what it was derived from?
>
>I mean, shouldn't that be 10 yards?
>--
>Roy J. Mongiovi.	Office of Computing Services.		User Services.

I remember reading about this not too long ago [in a galaxy somewhere
in the neighborhood]. As it was explained then, the term comes from
the building trades, and refers to the fact that a typical load of
concrete contains 9 cubic yards. This sounds like about the right
amount for a truckful to me, so I can't complain. So, to ask for "the
whole nine yards" would mean you wanted "the works". As to why yards,
rather than some other measurement, it seems you buy concrete by the
cubic yard, and this is simply known as a "yard" in the business.

                                        Bill Laubenheimer
----------------------------------------UC-Berkeley Computer Science
     ...Killjoy went that-a-way--->     ucbvax!wildbill

dave@timeinc.UUCP (David Mutterer) (01/24/85)

> > How about the saying "the whole nine yards"?
> > Does anyone know what it was derived from?
> > I mean, shouldn't that be 10 yards?
>
> I was told that it came from the fact that the intestinal tract
> is nine yards (or so) long if unwound ...  So if you go the full
> nine yards you've been through all the sh*t.

Well, while I was in the army I heard that it meant when a full
backback was unloaded that the stuff laid out on the ground was
nine yards long.... stating that you were carrying a full load..
--

					David Mutterer
					[vax135|ihnp4]!timeinc!dave

"Any opinions expressed herein are those of the writer and
do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Time Incorporated."