[net.puzzle] heating metal

ecl@mtgzz.UUCP (e.c.leeper) (10/22/85)

Expanding/contracting hole:  When a ring won't come off your finger, you stick
your hand under hot water.  A ring is a sort of boundary condition of a hole in
a piece of metal.  Therfore, the hole expands when the metal is heated.

					Evelyn C. Leeper
					...ihnp4!mtgzz!ecl

In article <1294@mtgzz.UUCP>, ecl@mtgzz.UUCP (e.c.leeper) writes:
>Expanding/contracting hole:  When a ring won't come off your finger, you stick
>your hand under hot water.  A ring is a sort of boundary condition of a hole in
>a piece of metal.  Therfore, the hole expands when the metal is heated.
>					Evelyn C. Leeper

Gee, I think that could make your hand swell more than it would expand the
ring :-).  At tolerable temperatures, the effect is negligible on the metal.
If this works, I'd attribute this to the lubrication of the wet skin more than
the expansion of the ring.  [Of course this has nothing to do with the puzzle!]

Maybe for a better example, when a mechanic wants to take the starter gear
ring off of an engine flywheel, he heats the whole thing, then perhaps cools
the flywheel itself as with ice or dry ice.  This produces enough gap that
the ring slips off.  And when piston pins are installed in piston rods, the
ends of the rods (with holes in them) are heated very hot to expand them enough
to let the pins be slipped in.  When the rods cool, they grip the pins.
Or if you must stick to the household for examples, a trick to get the lids
off of jars if they are stuck is to run scalding hot water over the tops.  If
you twist quickly after that, they are easier to free.  Of course it's not
precisely a "hole" (it is covered on one end) but it's a similar idea, the
hollow of a hollow metal part becoming larger when the part itself expands.
|        skokie, illinois        |