[net.puzzle] Thermometer Puzzle

vsh@pixel.UUCP (vsh) (10/23/85)

Here's an old puzzler from my high school science days, but which may
tantalize a few of you:

When an ordinary mercury thermometer at room temperature is inserted
into a beaker of boiling water, the mercury actually descends a
small but noticeable amount before ascending to the 100 C level.
Why?

Try it yourself.
--
Steve Harris
Pixel Systems Inc.; 300 Wildwood St.; Woburn, MA.  01801

meister@linus.UUCP (Phillip W. Servita) (10/24/85)

In article <24@pixel.UUCP> vsh@pixel.UUCP (vsh) writes:
>Here's an old puzzler from my high school science days, but which may
>tantalize a few of you:
>
>When an ordinary mercury thermometer at room temperature is inserted
>into a beaker of boiling water, the mercury actually descends a
>small but noticeable amount before ascending to the 100 C level.
>Why?

The glass must conduct the heat to the mercury inside. Hence the cylindrical
hole inside expands before the mercury does.

                                         -the venn buddhist

"Of course the Nielsen ratings are accurate...
 We proved it in a taste test!"

                                 -the venn buddhist

ejb@think.ARPA (Erik Bailey) (10/25/85)

In article <24@pixel.UUCP> vsh@pixel.UUCP (vsh) writes:
>When an ordinary mercury thermometer at room temperature is inserted
>into a beaker of boiling water, the mercury actually descends a
>small but noticeable amount before ascending to the 100 C level.
>Why?

Well, my friend Dave Whitney says:

It's because when you put the theremometer in the hot air rising from
the boiling water, there is a distinct drop in pressure, uh, causing the
bulb of glass around the mercury to expand, and therefore sucking the
murcury down the thermometer.

--Erik

hes@ecsvax.UUCP (Henry Schaffer) (10/26/85)

> When an ordinary mercury thermometer at room temperature is inserted
> into a beaker of boiling water, the mercury actually descends a
> small but noticeable amount before ascending to the 100 C level.
> Why?
>
> Steve Harris

   Before the mercury can expand because of the heat, the glass
surrounding the mercury must get hot to pass on the heat.  The glass
does expand somewhat *before* the mercury heats up.  This expansion
increases the volume of the "container" holding the mercury, and so
the mercury will descend.  For a small (rate of) change in the temperature
the effect should be very small, but room temp. to boiling water is not
a small change.
--henry schaffer