[net.puzzle] Polar Bear Problem Sequel Sequel Sequel

ins_akaa@jhunix.UUCP (Kenneth Adam Arromdee) (11/08/85)

In article <527@mungunni.OZ> sgb@mungunni.UUCP (Steven Bird) writes:
>OK people, how about a complete mathematical analysis of the next sequel:
>
> 	Where on the earth can one walk 1 mile North, 1 mile South,
>	1 mile East and 1 mile West, and end up at the starting point?
>
>Now surely *everyone* out there can send a reply for this one,
>a great improvement over the mere thirty (or so) postings generated
>for the previous sequels.  :-)
>
>Steven Bird.

Everywhere on the Earth EXCEPT on A) the South Pole (because when you get to
the point where you have to walk east "east" isn't defined) and B)
within a circle in a radius of one mile from the North pole. (because you
can't walk a whole mile north).
If you know the alphabet up to 'k', you can teach it up to 'k'.

Kenneth Arromdee
BITNET: G46I4701 at JHUVM and INS_AKAA at JHUVMS
CSNET: ins_akaa@jhunix.CSNET
ARPA: ins_akaa%jhunix@hopkins.ARPA
UUCP: ...{decvax,ihnp4,allegra}!seismo!umcp-cs!aplvax!aplcen!jhunix!ins_akaa