[net.puzzle] Sherlock Holmes

msb@lsuc.UUCP (Mark Brader) (12/03/85)

Mike Leibensperger (leiby@masscomp.UUCP) writes:
> If you are a chess player, there is an interesting set of rather
> non-traditional chess problems called _The_Chess_Mysteries_of_
> _Sherlock_Holmes, by Raymond Smullyan, ...

Non-traditional indeed.  I enjoyed these, but the reason is that they
don't really demand much chess skill, only logical skill and a knowledge
of the moves.  The problems tend to be of this form:  "Given that in
the indicated position none of the knights have moved, prove that it
is White's move" or "...prove that White cannot castle".  Probably not
the sort of thing that net.games.chess readers will really go for.
(I've added a cross-posting to net.puzzle which I think is appropriate.)

Also, I found about 10 bugs in the book.  However, if there has been a
new edition since I got it, things could have improved.

Mark Brader