[net.puzzle] Polar paradox

colonel@sunybcs.UUCP (Col. G. L. Sicherman) (12/26/85)

Here's a new one: a practical joker tampered with the Great Explorer's
gyrocompass, so it points 45 degrees off.  The Great Explorer thinks
he's going due north on his way to the North Pole, but he's really going
due northwest!

Will he reach the North Pole anyway?  (Geographers keep out of this one!)
--
Col. G. L. Sicherman
UU: ...{rocksvax|decvax}!sunybcs!colonel

ewa@sdcc3.UUCP (Eric Anderson) (12/29/85)

In article <2667@sunybcs.UUCP> colonel@sunybcs (Col. G. L. Sicherman) writes:
>Here's a new one: a practical joker tampered with the Great Explorer's
>gyrocompass, so it points 45 degrees off.  The Great Explorer thinks
>he's going due north on his way to the North Pole, but he's really going
>due northwest!
>
>Will he reach the North Pole anyway?  (Geographers keep out of this one!)

I'm no geographer, so...

If a 'gyrocompass' is no different from a normal compass, it is impossible to
tamper with it in such a way as to make it point 45 degrees off. Consider:
1. The orientation of the NSEW scale is not important, since you line up the
   needle with 'N' each time.
2. The needle is magnetized along its major axis. While a 180 degree error
   could be introduced, a 45 degree error cannot.

If a 'gyrocompass' is such a device that it can be mis-aligned by 45 degrees
despite the above, then our explorer will spiral in to the pole, assuming he
checks his direction constantly.

(Well, the north MAGNETIC pole, not the one we all think of.)

Eric Anderson, UC San Diego         {elsewhere}!ihnp4!ucbvax!sdcsvax!sdcc3!ewa
Home: (619)453-7315       Work: (619)586-1201       White House: (202)456-1414

lhl@lanl.ARPA (12/30/85)

> In article <2667@sunybcs.UUCP> colonel@sunybcs (Col. G. L. Sicherman) writes:
> >Here's a new one: a practical joker tampered with the Great Explorer's
> >gyrocompass, so it points 45 degrees off.  The Great Explorer thinks
> >he's going due north on his way to the North Pole, but he's really going
> >due northwest!
> >
> >Will he reach the North Pole anyway?  (Geographers keep out of this one!)
>
> If a 'gyrocompass' is such a device that it can be mis-aligned by 45 degrees
> despite the above, then our explorer will spiral in to the pole, assuming he
> checks his direction constantly.

*** PICTURE YOUR ADVERTISEMENT HERE ***

  Of course, if a 'gyrocompass' is a device which maintains its direction in
an inertial frame, at some point, not the north pole, it will point straight
up.  There the explorer will stop.

Dear Santa Claus: Yes, there is a Virginia.                        Howland Owl

wayne@ada-uts.UUCP (12/31/85)

> Here's a new one: a practical joker tampered with the Great Explorer's
> gyrocompass, so it points 45 degrees off.  The Great Explorer thinks
> he's going due north on his way to the North Pole, but he's really going
> due northwest!
>
> Will he reach the North Pole anyway?  (Geographers keep out of this one!)

I was wondering: if he was flying, starting from 0 degrees lat, 0 degrees
long, how many miles would he travel to get to the North Pole using the
tampered compass, if he indeed gets there?  It would be easier if one
assumed the earth was a perfect sphere.

Wayne Wylupski                   ...!{ihnp4,ima}!inmet!ada-uts!wayne

dgary@ecsvax.UUCP (D Gary Grady) (01/02/86)

In article <2667@sunybcs.UUCP> colonel@sunybcs.UUCP (Col. G. L. Sicherman) writes:
>Here's a new one: a practical joker tampered with the Great Explorer's
>gyrocompass, so it points 45 degrees off.  The Great Explorer thinks
>he's going due north on his way to the North Pole, but he's really going
>due northwest!
>
>Will he reach the North Pole anyway?  (Geographers keep out of this one!)

Presumably he'll starve, die of old age or exposure, or get fried by the
sun going nova (if he's really a toughie) first, as he spirals his way
northwestward.

Actually, gyrocompasses aren't that useful in polar regions (as sub
sailors know) because they point up!  (Hope I remember this right - I'd
hate to take the scorn of Usenet if I'm mistaken.)

Note that if it had been a magnetic compass the answer would depend on
the starting point.
--
D Gary Grady
Duke U Comp Center, Durham, NC  27706