[net.puzzle] Forked Road logic puzzle

tino@hou2f.UUCP (A.TINO) (12/31/85)

>You can find out which way to go by asking either one of them ONE certain
>question. What is the ONE question?
>Matt Graham
________

"Would your companion say that path #1 is correct, if asked?"

If path #1 is correct, both liar and truth-teller would say NO.

If path #2 is correct, both would say YES.

abeles@mhuxm.UUCP (J. Abeles (Bellcore, Murray Hill, NJ)) (01/03/86)

> >You can find out which way to go by asking either one of them ONE certain
> >question. What is the ONE question?
>
> "Would your companion say that path #1 is correct, if asked?"
> (If path #1 is correct, both liar and truth-teller would say NO.
> If path #2 is correct, both would say YES).

New quiz:

You are lost on an island populated with three "tribes:"
The first always answers the opposite of the truth,
the second always answers the truth,
and the third answers randomly.

(You can only ask simple yes-no questions)

How can you determine which road to take in only two questions?

alatto@bbncc5.UUCP (Andrew Latto) (01/07/86)

In article <502@mhuxm.UUCP> abeles@mhuxm.UUCP (J. Abeles (Bellcore, Murray Hill, NJ)) writes:

>New quiz:
>
>You are lost on an island populated with three "tribes:"
>The first always answers the opposite of the truth,
>the second always answers the truth,
>and the third answers randomly.
>
>(You can only ask simple yes-no questions)
>
>How can you determine which road to take in only two questions?

The problem is misstated, and insoluble, as stated. You must also know
that there are three people at the junction of the roads, one from each
tribe. I believe that you must also assume that each of the three of them
knows what tribe each of the others belongs to.
a						Andy Latto
						alatto@bbn.ARPA