[net.puzzle] hex <--> English

alford@ecsvax.UUCP (01/20/86)

Here's a question I haven't seen before, but have thought about a bit.
Problem:  Who can suggest the longest coherent English phrase (or better yet,
sentence), that contains only the letters ABCDEF, and thus could be interpreted
as a series of hexadecimal numbers?  I'd be interested in any suggestions.

Ross Alford
   ...{decvax, akgua, ihnp4}!mcnc!ecsvax!alford

garys@hpfcla.UUCP (01/21/86)

Here's a bunch of words that meet the criteria.  It's not all the possible
words but it's most of the common ones.

a ad be ed ace add bad bed bee cab dab dad ebb fad fed fee babe bade bead beef
cafe cede dead deaf deed face fade feed baded ceded ebbed faced faded beaded
bedded beefed dabbed decade deeded deface facade

And here's a bunch if you allow 0 to represent O.

a ad be do ed of ace add ado bad bed bee boa bob boo cab cod coo dab dad doe
ebb fad fed fee foe oaf odd ode off babe bade bead beed beef bode cafe cede
coca coco code coed dead deaf deed face fade feed food oboe added adobe baded
boded booed ceded cocoa coded cooed faced faded offed aboded beaded bedded
beefed bobbed coffee dabbed decade decode deeded deface facade

I generated various combos and ran them through the speller to reject the bad
ones.  Now all you need to do is run this through the 'sentencer' to pull out
good sentences.

Gary Stringham   ihnp4!hpfcla!garys

laman@ncr-sd.UUCP (Mike Laman) (01/21/86)

In article <1100@ecsvax.UUCP> alford@ecsvax.UUCP writes:

>Here's a question I haven't seen before, but have thought about a bit.
>Problem:  Who can suggest the longest coherent English phrase (or better yet,
>sentence), that contains only the letters ABCDEF, and thus could be interpreted
>as a series of hexadecimal numbers?  I'd be interested in any suggestions.
>
>Ross Alford

Here's mine:

	"Deaf Ed defaced a faded facade," Ada acceded.

Or:

	Bad Ed fed a dead beef a decade -- a bad fad.

		Mike Laman
		UUCP: {ucbvax,philabs,sdcsla}!sdcsvax!ncr-sd!laman

P.S.  I think I had better stick with octal.
P.S.S.  I have seen 'DEADC0DE' used to predefine dead areas -- note the
	use of a zero as the letter 'O'.  If we allow the letter 'O' for
	the zero hex digit, we could even get more interesting ones.
	Notice that 'DEADC0DE' fits nicely in a 32 bit word...

kay@ucla-cs.UUCP (01/25/86)

This message is empty.

kay@ucla-cs.UUCP (01/25/86)

        Sorry about that.  What the problem is beats me.
What I was going to say was this:

        I once had occasion to write an easy-to-remember
sequence of answers to a multiple-choice test.  That's a
similar task to devising English sentences that are also
valid hex numbers, though I imposed two additional
constraints---I only wanted to use the letters A through
E, and I wanted a roughly equal number of each letter in
the string---which decreased the coherence somewhat.
But I still remember the sequence:

        D. C. cab ace "Bad Abe" acceded:  "A dead bee a decade, babe."

                                                        --DGK